• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ben-to (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Great when it is rediculous. The god of discounts, the items built for bento battles, the rudder, and the little pop ups of Shiraume, and bad luck girl.

So it looks like main character has now got his nickname as spoiler[hentai, though for some reason they translated it to "freak", wouldn't "pervert" have been a closer translation?] I am actually reminded of Inukami's Keita, except Sato is arguably luckier.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
No, Freak works better in this case in my opinion. It's more apt to describe Satou's penchant for losing his clothes and/or dressing up in a girl's school uniform.

What is yall's opinion on the dearth of pre-orders for this show? Hopefully at least the light novels are getting a big boost cause it's clear David Production is putting some effort into the show.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Yea, I don't think Perv or Pervert works as well in Satou's, uh, situation. It just doesn't have the sting that I think hentai, as it's used here, is intended to have.

As for the sales, what number are we looking at? I'm seeing 178, 5985, and 809. If it's the 809, I'm not terribly surprised. How often do comedies not hidden under a blanket of moe really make a splash? I would've thought big tit and blond Shaga and Sen with her dark pantyhose would've helped it some, though.

I've been arguing with myself for a couple weeks on whether or not I should import the BDs, but as much as I love the show, a BD without subs isn't helpful. This also seems to have Funimation written all over it, so I'll constantly have in the back of my head that it'll be licensed as soon as the 6th volume ships. I'll buy as many figures as I can, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
#178 means that is the highest it has ever ranked in terms of Amazon.co.jp DVD rankings. (DVD rankings are comprised of both BD and DVD titles)
#5985 is its lowest ranking overall on Amazon.co.jp for DVD rankings
#809 is the current amount of "Amazon stalker points" it has. Which is more or less a ballpark figure for the amount of pre-orders it currently has.
And then there is one more important number, #1487, the projected amount of stalker points it will have at time of release if current trends continue.

And then if you look on the second list of this page, it shows that the only shows with less stalker points for their volume one BD release than Ben-to are currently: Un-Go, Mashiro Symphony (poor Manglobe), C^3, HxH, Kimi to Boku, and Phi Brain.

FUNimation getting Ben-to would make sense (as would Sentai imo), and that would certainly help David Production out a bit. Cause as it stands, unless they're really pushing up the light novel sales or there's a huge spike in otaku pre-ordering, they're bound to lose money with Ben-to currently.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't count Media Blasters out of the potential licensing mix. Obviously they are not as active as Funi or Sentai, but every now and then they pop up with a title like Squid Girl.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Considering that this is a fansub we're talking about "hentai" shouldn't be translated as "freak" or "pervert," it should be left as "hentai." I think we're demonstrating nicely that a downloader of a fansub should know what a hentai is and if they don't- they should probably learn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure if you watch a non gg release, then they'll probably leave it as hentai. That sub group in particular leaves absolutely no Japanese, will do their all to localize it, and will insert other languages at random instead (nom de guerre? That's cute, but they ain't speaking French)
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's best not to open that particular can of worms, especially since fansub discussion is frowned upon. gg have a long and chequered history of taking various liberties with their translations, almost always intentionally, They invite scorn from purists by doing so, but that's exactly what they want. They're the marmite of the fansub world.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

This one looks to be the weakest quality episode of the series thus far for me. spoiler[No Bento fights with the episode mostly focused on Yo being humiliated as usual and a pair of twins being too dense to realize that the Ice Witch isn't the one all bandaged up.] Looks like the series is starting to lose some of its earlier appeal to me.
juliza15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
[quote="ArsenicSteel"]
Quote:
I watched this show high and didn't laugh.

There's your problem. Stop killing your braincells and you might be able to tell a joke when you see one. Example, the slow motion reaction of the MC's face in the last fight of the first episode was a bit comedy inserted into the fight scene. In other words a JOKE.

Me saying the series is a comedy does not mean all the violence or everything about the show is a joke or meant to be funny. Gintama is a comedy but many of the fight scenes are not funny.[/quo

SUPER FUNNY!! I CAN WAIT FOR NEW EPISODES!!!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Lets get it! Lets get it! Lets get it, lets get it, lets GO!

Excellent choice of background music for that scene. I see last weeks episode didn't get much talkback, but that's not surprising. Even if Skyward Sword wasn't sucking up all my time, it wasn't really a great episode and not much to talk about. I think it was a bit premature to say the show was losing it's steam because of one subpar episode (unless you disliked the Monarch Arc and the Pool episode), though. Considering how great this weeks episode was, I think it's safe to say that episode 8 was a little stumble, but it regained it's balance quickly.

The first part was a little slow, but the "Taste Deconstruction" bit was gold. Ume being really creepy was, well, creepy, but the show redeemed itself as soon as the muscle magazine fell off the rack. I was wondering why Oshiori was freaking out that much, but it turns out she was just scared for Satou's safety.

This show is just fantastic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Finally, a Ume-heavy eppie, as I've been yearning for. God, I loved that violent, effed-up yuri. One of the Little Things I Love About Anime are female anime characters who actually look Japanese. But mostly I just love Ume 'coz she's so ... awesome. I keep on assuming we are going to see her in a bento battle one of these times, but maybe that would not befit her ouja-sama status?

Agree, love the music for the muscle cop magazine reveal. Last eppie was lame; this show is a lollercoaster for me. Sometimes great, sometimes not.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Another weak episode this week which is now focused on who I perhaps find the worst character in the series going about her obsessive lesbianism and continued decking of Yo for the slightest of repercussions against Hana in the form of Ume. And again, no Ben-to fights and hardly any mention of them! This series has gotten considerably weaker in quality for me in the past few weeks.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I found this week's episode to be pretty week. Ume is probably my least favorite character in the show and this episode didn't really tell us anything new about her to make her a little more interesting.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Why, oh why, have I waited so long to start watching this show? I watched the first two episodes last week, and thought it was better than I expected from the premise. Then today I marathoned the rest and loved every second of it. While a lot of the time it does use pretty standard cliches for its characters and comedy, they generally feel right. Yarizui isn't emotionless, she's understated. You is a bit of a punching bag, mainly for Ume, but he's not a wuss; and he's only as pervy as any given teenage boy would be, plus he doesn't turn into a blubbering idiot when someone accuses him of it, only defensive when they do it unjustified. Shaga's excessive groping and body contact is a little tiresome, but she often uses it as a means on You rather than an end.

The premise has an odd duality to it: it's clearly absurd, yet the prominent characters take it incredibly serious. Meanwhile, the bystanders just steer clear and ignore it. It feels like the show is saying: it's safe to just roll with the set-up and enjoy the stupidity. And I am enjoying it very much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10