• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's Kind of a FUNi Story

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I love it when you get Lance on. He always has something interesting to say, and he's a cool guy.

Also, nice job on those Fairy Tail blurays, I'm loving them.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I love it when you get Lance on. He always has something interesting to say, and he's a cool guy.

Also, nice job on those Fairy Tail blurays, I'm loving them.

<blush>

awww...you're too kind

</blush>
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Lance claims to want a smart sci-fi, so I'm still perplexed as to how Time of Eve stays unlicensed. That's pretty much the top smart sci-fi show (that is still widely marketable) that I know of. Or even Tatami Galaxy, which FUNi streamed online, would be really nice to own. No surprise that DBZ is still their top selling franchise, lol.

A-kon is awful. Just awful. I loved it when I went years ago, but now they don't even try to bring in international guests.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of sad that you look at the current anime coming out and only Tiger and Bunny is able to gain new fans (other anime like Fairy Tail are pretty much just going to sell to people who are already anime fans.

I am really glad that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was released before Aniplex got the idea to release anime subtitled for 500 dollars for 13 episodes.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, right now... there aren't really any shows like that. Maybe AnoHana... and UnGO. Persona 4 taps into the PS2 fans, but that's pretty much it.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Dub for Shana, yeah you said it, but are you going to Bring all Original Cast for Shana ?? because im hoping, i wish

Last edited by skyreno4 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The new DBZ Blu-Rays look great, but I still prefer the Dragon Boxes. The colors are too dark on the Blu-Ray.

And I wish they'd stop saying "seasons" for shows that have no seasons, like DBZ. "Seasons" implies a break. DB/Z/GT/Kai never broke except for rare holiday programming and/or sports events. On Japanese TV, those shows all ran pretty continually until their end. And the English dub had six seasons, but Funimation insists there were nine. The first FMA series was given "season" sets despite it having one continuing run on Japanese TV.

Forget saving BGC 2040. Save the original! (Has AnimEigo's license expired yet?) Redub it!

I'd love to get Black Lagoon on Blu-Ray.
So they're still waiting for the "materials" for Tenchi, huh? I'm looking forward to getting the TV series.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It's kind of sad that you look at the current anime coming out and only Tiger and Bunny is able to gain new fans (other anime like Fairy Tail are pretty much just going to sell to people who are already anime fans.

I am really glad that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was released before Aniplex got the idea to release anime subtitled for 500 dollars for 13 episodes.

Given Fairy Tail is a kid's show technically I think that if they had actually tried for a TV deal it could have gotten kids interested which kind of makes me mad their possibly opting airing GT again over it.

Though as far as getting in a huge audience I agree Tiger and Bnny has the best shot. Hopefully Viz won;t take too long getting the dub out this time.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
You know, I might end up subscribing to Funi's new video service. All I was using Netflix for at this point was anime, and most of that was from Funimation anyway. It's something to think about anyway.

I was kind of hoping (but not really expecting) a bit more substantive information about Hellsing. I'd be less concerned about what's going on with it if Funi wasn't so silent about it. But at least it sounds like the wheels are in motion.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail on TV? No way. There's way too much fanservice and bouncing boobs/nudity/forced skimpy outfits to really be salvageable on a kid's network like Cartoon Network, Disney, or Nickelodeon. I doubt they'd pick it up. That's ultimately the problem. Censorship has cracked down on television, so good luck getting an anime on there without it being torn to pieces.

As for DVD/BD combo packs.. I'm OCD about that, so DVD cases mixed in with BD cases (especially of the same series.. like Spice and Wolf 1 being BD only, but then series 2 is a combo) are a nightmare for me.

There's a simple solution to that. Just release a PDF cover on the website you can DL and print out and buy some blank cases and there you go you (I did that for Eva 1.1, since 2.2 came out in a BD case) As it stands now, I have to scan the DVD cover, resize, edit, and print. Ick.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Fairy Tail on TV? No way. There's way too much fanservice and bouncing boobs/nudity/forced skimpy outfits to really be salvageable on a kid's network like Cartoon Network, Disney, or Nickelodeon. I doubt they'd pick it up. That's ultimately the problem. Censorship has cracked down on television, so good luck getting an anime on there without it being torn to pieces.

As for DVD/BD combo packs.. I'm OCD about that, so DVD cases mixed in with BD cases (especially of the same series.. like Spice and Wolf 1 being BD only, but then series 2 is a combo)

There's a simple solution to that. Just release a PDF cover on the website you can DL and print out and buy some blank cases and there you go you (I did that for Eva 1.1, since 2.2 came out in a BD case) As it stands now, I have to scan the DVD cover, resize, edit, and print. Ick.

I can see fairy tail on tv, but it would have to be on adult swim if they want to pull it off. They might censor a bit but hell it couldn't be as bad card captors or one piece.

On subject it's nice to know that index, railgun, and steins gate are finally on the way. I have been in the mood for some sci-fi stuff and these really fit bill, hell I would recommend stein's gate to non anime fan friends all the time and most actually like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Will Rainbow get a Blu-ray/DVD release? Just answer yes or no!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

I'm going to guess that, like Tatami Galaxy, Rainbow won't be getting a DVD/BD release, at least not from FUNimation. I do remember seeing Rainbow on one of those surveys, asking if people would buy the show on home video. I'm going to guess that the response wasn't as positive as they were hoping for.

Could it maybe be licensed by another company, especially if it would get a sub-only release? Possibly, but we all know that you wouldn't like that, Mario, to put it lightly.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

We did not acquire those rights, so no- not from us. As stated in the interview, not all 100% of our simulcasts will be picked up as DVD/Blu-ray.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Strateegery Guy
(also @lheiskell if you are on the Twitters)

Last edited by lheiskell on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

We did not acquire those rights, so no- not from us. As stated in the interview, not all 100% of our simulcasts will be picked up as DVD/Blu-ray.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Strateegery Guy

care to answer this one question then?? Will Aria of the Scarlet Ammo or Okamisan get a release here on physical media?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6