• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge To Remain Edited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm a firm believer in the concept that "hardcore fans" are usually a bunch of whiny purists who can be safely ignored in favor of a much easier to please and more profitable mainstream audience. However, in this case, the concept does not apply.

This is not Pokemon, DBZ, or Sailor Moon. What mainstream audience exists for this manga? I mean, hell, I read plenty of manga, and I'm only aware of this title because of the stink. I'm pretty sure the casual reader has never heard of it. Eliminate your hardcore fans, and what's left? The browser at Borders who buys the occasional title because the cover looks interesting?

------RM
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
I suspect - but do not know for sure, that the intention is to sell based on the buyers who go for the anime series. The failure in this however, is that I've known many, many anime fans who don't care for manga. It's usually the more hardcore fans in general who like both, and even then, it's because of pre-existing interest. I hope that CMX finally wakes up and realizes that they will sell more copies by leaving it be and shrinkwrapping it. I'm almost certain that if they were to experiment with a volume and leave the content intact, that they'd see it would sell better than the censored version. Heck, I'd buy 2-3 copies (and give away to others to help create interst) and strongly campaign for others to do the same. If we, the hardcore fans get what want, we most certainly have a responsibility to deliver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
If you're really serious about ensuring that you can purchase unedited manga from your local comic shop or bookshop why not donate money to the Comic Book Legal Defence Fund. The CBLDF ensures that the first amendment rights of the comic book community are not infringed. This includes ensuring that local community officials do not harrass purveyors for selling manga such as Tenjo Tenge- part of the reason why Tenjo Tenge was edited.

By ensuring that manga can be purchased in an atmosphere free from intolerance and risk, you're helping manga get published unedited.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
If you're really serious about ensuring that you can purchase unedited manga from your local comic shop or bookshop why not donate money to the Comic Book Legal Defence Fund. The CBLDF ensures that the first amendment rights of the comic book community are not infringed. This includes ensuring that local community officials do not harrass purveyors for selling manga such as Tenjo Tenge- part of the reason why Tenjo Tenge was edited.

By ensuring that manga can be purchased in an atmosphere free from intolerance and risk, you're helping manga get published unedited.

Widya Santoso

Too busy donating money to SEMA and stopping Car Insurance Companies and Local Goverments from screwing Import Tuners, HotRodders, Mopar Folks, and other Car Enthusiasts.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting is that in manga, violence isn't as heavily edited as explicit sexual scenes. This is quite common in most of America's censorship. I think the whole idea of censoring "the forbidden fruit" has always been part of our society. I understand the fact that editing may lead to more edits (kinda like a Red Scare belief here, ne?) and people should have the right to free speech (and free reading). Still, let's not disregard that the creator did approve of these edits, even if it is appauling to the fans. Until Oh!Great gets pissed off like the creator of Negima did over censoring his work, there is less of an outside influence to aid to the situation other than the fans.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Until Oh!Great gets pissed off like the creator of Negima did over censoring his work, there is less of an outside influence to aid to the situation other than the fans.

Akumatsu said he was "amused" at the need for the edits - there was never an instance of him getting pissed off.

And even if Oogure "approved" of the censoring, it doesn't mean it was the correct course of action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:18 am Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Still, let's not disregard that the creator did approve of these edits, even if it is appauling to the fans.

Okay, I have to call an immediate BS to this untill two things can be verified:

1. Did he really approve of this, and if so, what was the "extent" of Oh Great! terms for Editing?

To further elaborate, was Oh Great! thinking differently than what CMX was thinking? He thought that the edits would be to Japanese Standardsm and CMX does a complete 180? A possible Culture Blunder of sorts?

2. Does he know how much his American Fanbase is sorely pissed at CMX "treatment" of TenTen? *HintHintSunday Spotlight*
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
midori kou wrote:
Still, let's not disregard that the creator did approve of these edits, even if it is appauling to the fans.

Okay, I have to call an immediate BS to this untill two things can be verified:

1. Did he really approve of this, and if so, what was the "extent" of Oh Great! terms for Editing?

To further elaborate, was Oh Great! thinking differently than what CMX was thinking? He thought that the edits would be to Japanese Standardsm and CMX does a complete 180? A possible Culture Blunder of sorts?

Well, there was a statement made to the effect in the first manga that it had been approved. Besides, due to contractual/copyright reasons, changes have to be approved on that side of the Pacific somewhere. It's just as likely that it was an agent for Oogure that approved it though. The knowledge as to the extent of the censoring however is up for speculation.
Quote:

2. Does he know how much his American Fanbase is sorely pissed at CMX "treatment" of TenTen? *HintHintSunday Spotlight*

He may not... but somehow I'm not optomistic enough to think it would make any difference.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
There was a review site on Tenge I was at a few weeks back that I still look in my History toolbar. It said "Maya and her Grand Canyon size breasts" and "Aya flaunts her cleavage". What site is that? Thanks.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Never mind! I looked one of these quoted phrases, and found my search!
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Let's face facts,folks.

As I posted before,TT remains edited because those who buy it don't give a damn over what's been edited out as long as what remains is entertaining.CMX seems convinced that editing TT will garner a larger readership than the smaller otaku circle.Whether or not I agree with that decision is irrelevant.

Maybe these so called "Purist Otaku" should not be so anal about these things and realize that the world does NOT revolve around them.I believe Midori Kou can agree with me on this.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but you have to remember that most of the outrage here is from the fact that DC is marketing it towards teens rather than the intended age group.
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
midori kou wrote:
Until Oh!Great gets pissed off like the creator of Negima did over censoring his work, there is less of an outside influence to aid to the situation other than the fans.

Akumatsu said he was "amused" at the need for the edits - there was never an instance of him getting pissed off.

And even if Oogure "approved" of the censoring, it doesn't mean it was the correct course of action.

Whether it was correct or not,the fact remains he must have approved of it at some level,whether he was aware of the nature of this or not.

In any case,it is extremely unlikely that he will ever get upset over all this,as far as I know.

Now had Oh!Great been opposed to these edits in the first place,perhaps certain posters might ("might" being the operative word here) have a case.
As it is,however,these protests are seen by CMX as little more than temper tantrums.(And they wonder why CMX has ignored them?)
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
midori kou wrote:

Whether it was correct or not,the fact remains he must have approved of it at some level,whether he was aware of the nature of this or not.
He may have no say at all in the process - it could just as easily come from an agent authorized to act on his behalf. More likely than that, it could be the publisher who is handling the negotiation.
Quote:

In any case,it is extremely unlikely that he will ever get upset over all this,as far as I know.
Or he may be unaware of it at all. Even if he were to get upset about it, it's unlikely we will ever hear about it.
Quote:

Now had Oh!Great been opposed to these edits in the first place,perhaps certain posters might ("might" being the operative word here) have a case.
As it is,however,these protests are seen by CMX as little more than temper tantrums.(And they wonder why CMX has ignored them?)

It is possible to intelligently bring up objections. You can't possibly suggest that every last protest has been poorly worded. Even so, it's not the customer's responsibility to determine what kind of service is provided. It's up to the company to maintain good relations regardless of consumer attitude.

The fact remains that we have no conclusive idea what CMX thinks of these objections because they've remained silent. There are a number of reasons why they might not respond. They may be disorganized, and/or restructuring. An individual may not be doing their job when it comes to PR work. You may be right in that they simply don't care. Whatever the case, in the customer industry, silence is unacceptable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3