• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Manga Rights Expired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, the manga has been out of print for a year or so, so this doesn't come to as a surprise that they let it expire. Maybe somebody will pick it up in the future and publish it using quality binding that won't fall apart after one read. I know I would love to see it released again.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
To my knowledge, the manga has been out of print for a year or so, so this doesn't come to as a surprise that they let it expire. Maybe somebody will pick it up in the future and publish it using quality binding that won't fall apart after one read. I know I would love to see it released again.

Same here. I own the first three Mixx versions of Sailor Moon, and I needed a super-duty stapler to put my first one back together. (Rendering poor Sailor jupiter nearly invisible on half of the pages.) Sad

I too hope that someone will re-license it and give it a makeover so that it is closer to the original. I know that enthusiasm for Sailor Moon is a lot quieter than it was before, but that doesn't mean the excitement over a re-release has faded at all. Go to virtually any forum about manga and there is bound to be at least one thread about Sailor Moon getting a better release.

(This is just me throwing stuff out to any manga licenser who might be reading: How about using the same covers as the Japanese re-releases?)
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
In Protoculture Addicts #84, there is an article (which can be found on page 11) that states that the new Sailor Moon book, Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon, could be, according to Genvid LLC, "fandom's last hope for the Sailor Moon franchise in North America". They feel that that if the book sells, it could "prove Sailor Moon's naysayers wrong and perhaps lead to renewed industry interest in the property which could possibly lead to a North America release of either Sailor Stars or Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (the live-action series)," and in turn, might spark renewed interest in the original manga for either TokyoPOP or someone else to re-release it. Should Warriors of Legend become a best-seller (and if you haven't bought the book yet, I suggest you do so now because it is a very informative and tremendous read, and Jonothan did an oustanding job with the editing), do you believe that the book will spark renewed interest in Sailor Moon? If so, then perhaps TokyoPOP or some other magna company will see that Sailor Moon still has some marketability left and maybe give the manga another chance.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
From what I rememeber it seemed to be more of a adaptation then a literal translations. ie using the DIC names (except Serena/Usagi became Bunny) and a couple of other things.
been a long time since I've read em thu just going from memory.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I really hope someone picks Sailor Moon back up. And if it is re-released it'll be the new touched up version Naoko Takeuchi did to celebrate its 10th anniversory.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this brings back memories - the Tokyopop/Mixx editions of Sailor Moon were the first manga I ever owned. They're also completely delapidated, fitting for such a shoddy translation job. But even with the typos, name changes, and pages falling out (all paid for at an inflated price), the books hold too much sentimental value for me to ever part with them.

It would be lovely to see a republication of Sailor Moon, and I second the usage of the recent Japanese re-releases (including the stickers! Wink). I doubt, however, that I would actually purchase the series in completion again, but I would definitely pick up a volume or two should any company should choohse to republish it.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
I know that enthusiasm for Sailor Moon is a lot quieter than it was before, but that doesn't mean the excitement over a re-release has faded at all.

I dunno about that. PGSM boosted Sailormoon's overall popularity and interest pretty well, at least online. In the cosplay scene, there's been a HUGE wave of new Sailormoon cosplayers too.

And I agree, it would be cool to see an English version matching the new Japanese re-releases. *_* I've yet to pick those up...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much it is to license something like that.
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, licensing anime or manga can go as high as $100,000... Perhaps even more.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:53 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
From what I rememeber it seemed to be more of a adaptation then a literal translations. ie using the DIC names (except Serena/Usagi became Bunny) and a couple of other things.
been a long time since I've read em thu just going from memory.

Anything you translate into another language also becomes an adaption.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
I always avoided picking up the Sailor Moon manga compliations because I felt Mixx did a terrible job with it from what I read in the old Mixx Zine-the name changes, the rewrites, the black-and-pink printing-it was all pretty sad. Plus, the way they released the mangas-one storyline in one format, another storyline in another-was just confusing. I would wager I'm not alone in this, and there are probably a lot of readers who didn't touch the series the first time around who would line up to buy a proper right-to-left accuratly translated 10-bucks-a-volume series starring Usagi instead of "Bunny." Hopefully someone will pick it up soon.
Otaprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Hopefully someone will pick it up soon.

Why is everyone assuming that US companies are the ones who aren't interested? I was under the impression that Toei (of Japan) was phasing out all Sailor Moon products in America.

Some more info here:
http://www.iwaynet.net/~sos/kablooey.html
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Otaprince wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Why is everyone assuming that US companies are the ones who aren't interested? I was under the impression that Toei (of Japan) was phasing out all Sailor Moon products in America.

Some more info here:

Toei doesn't take care of the manga rights, only the TV show and movie rights. Kodansha, I beleive, has the manga rights, and so far we have no idea how they feel about this.
Caro-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
Ah, this brings back memories - the Tokyopop/Mixx editions of Sailor Moon were the first manga I ever owned. They're also completely delapidated, fitting for such a shoddy translation job. But even with the typos, name changes, and pages falling out (all paid for at an inflated price), the books hold too much sentimental value for me to ever part with them.

Well, at least now I know it wasn't my fault my books fell apart. SM was my first manga too, and I still love it even with all its flaws. A rerelease would be wonderful, especially since I never managed to buy Stars 2 & 3 before they went out of print.

I was considering buying that Warriors of Legend book anyway, but I definitely will if the industry is watching its sales.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
Otaprince wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Some more info here:

Please do not use SOS as a news source. They are probably the most unreliable source of information on the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2