• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku Article at Asahi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
A must-read, since he states his case clearly and the article takes him seriously.

But I don't buy this idea that otaku life is better for some people. I think fear—of change, of confronting life—is what drives a lot of folks into these situations.
s_j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
For those interested, the url in the article is incorrect. The correct url is:
http://ya.sakura.ne.jp/~otsukimi/

Links to adult-oriented books, so browser beware.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
That guy definitely has problems.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
A must-read, since he states his case clearly and the article takes him seriously.

But I don't buy this idea that otaku life is better for some people. I think fear—of change, of confronting life—is what drives a lot of folks into these situations.

I'm inclined to agree there. On the one hand, I can see loving your hobby a lot, but when it becomes your life, that's when you have to realize that you need to confront the real world, and the people around you. You can't keep hiding behind a 2D screen forever.

Of course, with the amount of women staying with their parents longer and longer and burrying themselves in their careers, the marriage rate is getting lower anyway... This just compounds it.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
An interesting article, but I'll agree with Jon that I think the lifestyle is driven more by fear (of rejection, failure, etc) than anything else. To me this sounded like one big attempt to justify living in the fantasy world. How on earth is living a false life in escapism better than normal life? These are people who lack social skills, but don't WANT to improve themselves because it's too hard, or they are too afraid, so they hide with their anime girlfriends. Sure, you can be perfectly content living in a fantasy world, but it seems like you've isolated yourself from society to a degree where you make yourself worthless. In the end, I really don't think there's any way you can justify that.

Edit: Bamboo beat me.. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
s_j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
To me this sounded like one big attempt to justify living in the fantasy world. How on earth is living a false life in escapism better than normal life?

That totally nails it on the head.

For all this talk of rejection of society, he is after all preaching to his own choir. He's the Japanese version of the goth kid! Wink

Well, that might not be true, but this article certainly gives that vibe...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It is a good read, but it's frightening at the same time. It's frightening that an individual like that would try to justify his choice here. Based on the statements though, I think he really believes what he's saying. I don't know that it's fear, but delusion at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh there's a good dose of delusion at this point, but fear is still the underlying problem. He's so far in that he's afraid to get out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I think his life is rather pathetic.

But what I think, you think, and everyone else thinks doesn't matter. And that's the point of much of what he says.

If he's actually happy with his life, if he isn't unhappy, if he isn't lonely, then hey why should he care what other people think he should be doing?

He's only delusional if he's unhappy and tries to convince himself that he is happy.

-t
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

If he's actually happy with his life, if he isn't unhappy, if he isn't lonely, then hey why should he care what other people think he should be doing?

He's only delusional if he's unhappy and tries to convince himself that he is happy.

-t

True, but he's so cynical now. =/ I mean, feeling the way he does about love, about how women only like men with XX qualities, etc. It's like he never grew out of that teenage phase where all the emo kids tell themselves, "No one will ever love me! My life is over! Love is a sham!" Even with that comment about how the other guy should've turned the girl into an otaku instead. I can understand him distrusting love and what not from his past, but what he's doing is burrowing into a shell.

I guess it's not so much about him, as it is that this is a growing trend amonst some Japanese men. With men who befriend only girls on their screens, or men who take their Real Dolls out in wheelchairs on dates, you have a growing number of people who refuse to accept reality by substituting their own. It's kind of a fascinating thing to look at.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I swear, the first words my brain processed was 'interview with Toru Honda', which turned it into 'interview with Tohru Honda'. Wink I was reading Fruits Basket all night, OK?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I swear, the first words my brain processed was 'interview with Toru Honda', which turned it into 'interview with Tohru Honda'. Wink I was reading Fruits Basket all night, OK?

I thought about bringing this up myself.... A possible pseudonym perhaps?

tempest wrote:

I wasn't particularily referring to his level of happiness, but a couple of his statements instead:

"Not so, he says. Love is dead. What remains is moe-the intense affection players develop toward their favorite animated characters."

and

"Honda has created his own fantasy family. One of his younger sisters is a chimera of his own making. The rest-a wife, two other younger sisters and a maid-were all borrowed from animation games."

His current views on reality appear to be a bit skewed... to say the very least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else just love how one of the major reasons why he doesn't date girls is because he doesn't want to participate in "love capitalism" but that his appetite for dating sims takes more of a bite out of his paycheck than the occasional dinner or birthday present would?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Even with that comment about how the other guy should've turned the girl into an otaku instead.

I don't mind what he does with his own life, but really that last bit oversteps the line...
Neilworms

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Heh I'm with you on that one Jfrog... actually my thoughts were why is he criticizing capitalism and materialism by engaging in another very materialistic culture? I mean buying tons and tons of anime stuff and moe is a very symbol of materlalistic capitalism...

Did anyone else here think of Paranoia Agent when reading this article... I sure did :P
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3