• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Inks Five SVOD Deals

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
YAY! and still no satellite Evil or Very Mad
trlman99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quote
Still no Comcast either!
m5l111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
When is Charter going to get it? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
a_lonewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah...my cable company (Brighthouse Communications) supposedly has this, but they DON'T. I keep getting the run-around when I call to ask about The Anime Network. I guess it's not meant to be.

If you need a constant anime fix (like I do) then join Netflix...it's not that expensive if you live near a distribution center since the turn-around is pretty fast. They have a lot of anime (much better than BlockBuster Online's selection).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
m5l111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
My anime needs are okay. There is a place about 3 miles from work I go to fairly regularly to rent. Also I get my anime from Rentanime, although they are a bit slower than netflix.My irritation is the lack of response I get when I periodically check with Charter Communications about Anime Network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
So when exactly is Time Warner Cable getting the actual channel? On Demand is okay, but I really want more than one episode of a show every other week.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who's a little disillusioned with the Anime Network? The complaints I have are several:

-- VOD as a technology isn't 100% reliable. Currently, I've lost access, as has happened off and on in the last year. I get an error message when I try to connect. I'll need to call the cable company, but what a hassle if they can't fix it remotely. I'm not sure the Anime Network is worth yet another visit from a tech.

-- The video feed ain't that great. I'm on Adelphia in the Cleveland, OH area and I see blocky breakups in nearly every program I watch. At first, I thought I had a bad connection. Then I noticed that the OP of every episode of Petite Princess Yucie broke up in exactly the same place in exactly the same way. That's only possible if the problem is with the video file provided by the network.

-- Why the hell are all the subtitles turned off? Not even text translations are shown!! I have no idea what the titles of episodes are unless a voice actor speaks it. I guess the ending of the first episode of Gantz, with the mysterious text message appearing on the sphere, was supposed to be a stunning cliffhanger. I have no idea, because I don't know what it said.

-- I'm sick and tired of getting into series only to have the network lose interest and drop them. Yucie went from an episode a week to an episode a month. Chrono Cross ran the first 8 or so episodes, then vanished. I was getting into Mezzo when it pulled a similar disappearing act, going at least a month with no episodes available. And please don't tell me to buy the DVDs. If Anime Network is nothing more than the "ADV Free Preview" channel, let me know so I don't waste my time watching it.

Right now, I can't get Anime Network due to VOD problems, and frankly, I'm not sure I care.

------RM
luhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I have Comcast in eastern Ohio and we get TAN On Demand. I haven't had any problems with reliability of the video feed, but I have had multiple shows dropped from the line-up in the middle of their runs.

In the last month:
Mezzo: gone after ep. 8
Rahexphon: gone after ep. 19
Subbed Eva: gone after two episodes!
Saiyuki: gone after 2, also
E's Otherwise: after 9 eps.
Gravion Zwei: after 7 eps.
Also gone: Maburaho, Robotech, Abenobashi, Najica and Divergence Eve. They've shown 1 episode of Elfen Lied, but there are no more listed on the schedule.

I've tried e-mailing TAN for information to no avail. Same thing when I post on their forums. If ADV is going to use TAN as nothing more than a promotional channel to sell DVDs from now on, I wish they would have the guts to tell the viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1