• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Moretsu Pirates TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I was mainly judging on the title before, but after watching the PV I have higher hopes for it. Fanservice doesn't seem to be the focus of the show.

Here's hoping for a cheesy (but not terrible) space opera show.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It should be encouraging to Norse Crunchyroll members, that the series is "English Speaking Countries plus Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland", since last season they dropped down to 5/13 new simulcasts with 5 series going out to "English Speaking Countries" but not to the Norse countries ... including Fate Zero, Chihaya Furu and Hunter x Hunter.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading about this series earlier in the year and was hoping someone would pick it up.

I'm not expecting much, but something about it really has me excited for it.

I hope this is another fun series like Strike Witches has proven itself to be.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it could be fun. I'll probably be more likely to check it out if CR has it than if it wasn't streaming.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Sentai has also picked this up, though for "February" digital release.

That explains why Crunchyroll announced today instead of sometime closer to 7Jan.

That is also great news as far as Crunchyroll members in the UK & Eire, Australia & NZ, Scandinavia & Finland goes ... since this would seem to be a Sentai pick up where Crunchyroll has an independent streaming license, rather than sublicensing it from Sentai. If that is repeated, that would imply a substantial downtick in the number of Crunchyroll simulcasts and season streams that are North America only.

The problem there has been contracting costs, where the incremental revenue from adding the regions outside North America don't lead to a Minimum Guarantee that makes it worth the original content owners time to consider the contract.

If Crunchyroll and Sentai have, for example, made a general agreement on structuring contract offer terms so that they don't conflict, then Crunchyroll can make their simulcast bid and Sentai make their license bid, and the original licensor can treat it as a package deal without any of the complexity of a three way contract negotiation and without the need for Crunchyroll and TAN to set up a joint venture, a la Funico.

That would help Sentai compete for licenses against Funico, since the licensor could add the Sentai MG and the Crunchyroll MG together when deciding whether to license to Sentai or to Funico.

And the benefit to Crunchyroll in terms of getting simulcast streaming licenses without the North-American-only limits are obvious.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying really hard to be optimistic about this one, but honestly it just keeps rubbing me the wrong way somehow. A few of the character designs in these previews I find unappealing in the worst way, and whoever sang the insert song for this trailer kind of grated on my eardrums.

Got my fingers crossed I'll be proven wrong and be surprised with a fun series.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it should be fun! Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sweet trailer, still looking good and glad to see a good amount of focus on the space ships and pirate action (like that duel and several shots of her in the command chair and shots of some of the crew).

Still looking forward to it, and hopefully it delivers a good space adventure, been too long. Smile

Yeah who_is_friend, I'm hoping for a good fun space opera/space adventure show out of this too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1