• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Future Events

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom would actually make a great cell phone game if it dropped the massive one screen menu. Most of it wasn't needed anyway. Some updated graphics, it wouldn't be hard. That game was so cute.

I remember going to Funcoland all the time asking for it and the guy at the counter would just look at me and say no. Until the day I found it in the store and brought it up to the counter. He told me "I thought you were just making this up." Nope. Must have driven him nuts for months though.

As for this year, lets say my prediction (at least for the niche game market) is it is going to be very interesting. I think there will be some unexpected things going on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
It looks like I'll have to wait on the Fortune Summoners demo. Seems Carpe Fulgur is down for the day as a SOPA protest. Good for them.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused about the whole prediction/counterpoint in regards to the potential release of The Last Story. I found it comforting that you "predict" that at least The Last Story is coming over, but then you go ahead and say this in the counterpoint.
Quote:
Xenoblade Chronicles will be available only from Nintendo's site and GameStop in North America, which doesn't suggest a lot of faith in the game. It's much more likely that Nintendo will toss out limited supplies of Xenoblade and use its modest-at-best sales as an excuse to pass on The Last Story or Pandora's Tower in the U.S.

If it's really "much more likely" that nothing will come of them, why did you go ahead and center your prediction around the "belief" that TLS will come over? I hope you're not teasing us with a fake optimism or something of the sort here...

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note: it'd be wonderful/cool/interesting/whatever-positive-adjective if you ended up reviewing Katawa Shoujo sometime, even if it really isn't "gamey." I understand ANN has never done a review on a Visual Novel, with a few pretty big-and-obvious reasons.... not too mention, a VN would probably matter very little to the vast majority of ANN's readership (and believe me, I'm among that supposed vast majority). That said, it's an independent VN created in English, assembled by a loose coalition of 4chan members over a number of years, and *waves the English major card* is actually much more well written and tasteful than you might expect. For someone that's never done a VN before (and probably won't again until I'm finally able to try out Fate/Stay-Night), it's been a phenomenal experience so far.... and it definitely doesn't hurt that it's free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that the point was to make a prediction that seems like it could be likely (for the reasons he listed, there are reasons to believe TLS may come out over here), and then play Devil's Advocate and point out why that wouldn't happen.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Fighting games: They'll be fine. The reason fighting games died out was due to arcades going belly-up in North America.

TLS: I can see Pandora's Tower not coming out over here. Although I still wouldn't blame Nintendo much if it didn't.

Vita: It'll just be getting another beatdown from Nintendo's portable. SOny just doesn't have the same kind of brands Nintendo does.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too worried about the fighting genre because if you look close, it's consistent IP's from bigger companies, not dozens of "Me too" Mortal Kombat clones (which is actually the outlier this generation, not the template) from unproven companies and IP's.

And in a world where Yun and Yang exist, no way is Rainbow Mika the worst SF character.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let them not drift quietly into history like Henry Hudson, abandoned in a distant land by his own crew. No, Hudson Soft should be inspired by Hudson from Aliens, spewing bullets and profanity to the bitter end.

Absolutely hilarious... I really hope Hudson Soft goes out like this.
andyscout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Misinformation in the section about Atelier Meruru. Atelier Totori was the last one released in the US (fall of 2011), not Atelier Rorona.

I would love for you Vita prediction to come true. Personally, I much prefer my PSP to my DS. I'd rather not see the Vita get the same treatment as the PSP, where it goes half a year or more between big name titles or where companies refuse to localize games that already have a fan base (ie. Valkyria Chronicles 3). I think the Vita has a lot of promise, as long as game executives can take their heads out of their butts for long enough to realize what gamers want.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Abobo's Big Adventure appears to star many of the miniature heroes I recall from my old NES-on-a-chip controller, and like said plaything it is sufficiently entertaining to cause one to turn a blind eye to its intellectual property violations. One notes with interest the 8-bit rendition of the Macross Valkyrie.
Quote:
the worst Street Fighter character (that'd be Rainbow Mika)

Egad, have your private fantasies never once included Mika to some degree? As upstanding as we like to think ourselves, we are only human.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that with successful sales of Tales of the Abyss 3DS and Graces F, we can get Innocence R localized too. That's the only reason I want a Vita right now.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It also helps if small studios make games that are, you know, actually enjoyable.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
That Abobo game was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a lame flash game driven entirely by irony / nostalgia, but the developers did a fine job of capturing much of the fun of those old games. The completely over the top, gory humor was a nice touch, too!
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Todd, I am disappointed you did not mention Rokko Chan in your feature, considering Abobo's Big Adventure's title screen is parodying the the game Rokko Chan is...making a homage to?

What are you waiting for? Play it nao!
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned above the death of fighting games in the mid nineties was due to the death or arcades in the mid nineties. It had absolutely nothing to do with the quantity of games for the genre, unless FPS are being killed by having too many of them? Yeah, didn't think so
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
It also helps if small studios make games that are, you know, actually enjoyable.

I agree with you. The reason most people buy big budget games from big companies is because they know they'll be getting a high quality product. In an age where time is becoming a rare comodity less people stray from "safe bets". For example, I've heard nothing but praises about Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but the game looks outdated and is said to be more than 50 hours long, so I'm reluctent to give it a go even if it is amazing.

Companies like Atlus and NIS should go the extra mile to provide nothing but hits (which is possible considering they have the entirely forsaken Japanese game markert to choose from). Luckily, they have been doing just that recently: Atlus released the popular Catherine, and while Disgaea is dead NIS has been releasing the Atelier series which turned out to be a sleeper hit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2