• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erementar Gerad/Elemental Gelade Manga Returns in Digital Form

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Just hope that's not gonna be the norm for any future titles they rescue that I might wanna see in print.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Knew it. Yet another company screws over those who dared start a manga without being able to tell the future and see that it would be cancelled by the initial company.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'd love to finish my collection, but i don't do E-manga, nor do i plan to rebuy it from the start.

They should consider trying to do Print On Demand, for the later volumes.

Also DMP needs to start doing Enchanter again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'd love to finish reading the series, period. Except, like you, I don't do e-books, and I read it from the public library, who not only won't be getting the digital volumes, but they'll also likely get rid of the volumes they do have, since they periodically weed out unfinished series that get cancelled. They've already gotten rid of most of their Broccoli books, making me unable to read Galaxy Angel.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Well, ****...

The DMG are finished if they keep releasing those in digital form.

Print = Profit

Digital = Non-Profit

There goes my hope of reading it in print form (which I would intend to buy). :/
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'm so sick of everything converting over to digital. I want my physical copies, damn it!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
Guess this is better than nuthin'....................
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guess this is better than nuthin'....................

Really? Looking at my shelves, it appears to be equal to or lesser than nuthin'.

rankothefiremage makes a good point, finish (in paper) your own stories before rescuing others.
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
Seems that I won't buy it then. Maybe there is a Print On demand option they could give, there is probably enough support to make it work...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Great, release the rest to be released in book form and then release the whole thing Digitaly.

Good times with Weapon (girls)s.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
To DMG: Good for you. Call me when it's available as a real paper book and I'll give you money.

I'll be curious as to how this sells... I really don't think the manga market is in a place where a digital only release could really be profitable- but without the printing costs, maybe I'm wrong?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what a negative response. I don't personally follow this series but I can say that I wouldn't mind at all if any of the series I do read went digital-only. Digital has plenty of advantages over print:

1) Usually cheaper
2) More ecologically friendly
3) Instant delivery
4) Greater portability (your entire collection with you at all times)

But even if you disagree with all that, if the series wouldn't be profitable in print, then why complain when you get a digital release? At least you're still getting it.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
But even if you disagree with all that, if the series wouldn't be profitable in print, then why complain when you get a digital release? At least you're still getting it.

...Becuase I don't WANT a digital release? Becuase I have no inclination to buy an expensive e-reader so I can pay for jpegs of manga pages I have to zoom and scroll around to read properly?

While a full scale print run might not be profitable, I find it hard to believe a low volume print on demand release charging $15-20 a volume wouldn't find an audience. If I can get high quality books from random DeviantArt users, I find it hard to believe these guys can't do it. Especially since, I'd wager, they won't do better with digital only. Which is why I'm curious to see how this may sell.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Many people can't (or won't) support any digital release (manga, novels, etc) for a number of reasons.

1) Reading things off of digital screens gives them headaches/migraines/eyestrain. There's a number of series that will never be licensed here that my roommate cannot read scanlations of, because the contrast of the pages on a screen gives her migraines.

2) Most digital releases are limited to a specific device or platform. If your device croaks, you have to buy a new copy. If you decide to switch platforms, you have to buy a new copy. In this world where technology quickly becomes obsolete, and where (at least in my area), thefts of e-book readers are high, this is a real problem.

3) With a paper copy, you own that copy, you can do almost anything you want with it (provided you're not violating copyright law). With a digital copy, you only have a "license" for that material. The company you've "licensed" it from can legally revoke your "license" at any time, and you lose access to that book you've purchased. It's happened quite publicly with Amazon and the Kindle, it can happen at any time with any platform or book.

4) Not everyone can afford an e-reader. Heck, there's even people who can't afford a computer, or even the print books themselves (see point 5). And even if the digital versions could be read on a computer, you still have the problems from point 1, as well as the fact that print books are easily portable. Computers are either not-portable (towers) or often ill-advisedly portable to read while traveling (laptops on public transport).

5) Not everyone enjoys the books by buying them. Many people, myself included, make use of the public library. While some libraries do have a limited number of downloadable e-books available, most companies will not allow a library to use their digital content. My public library system has specifically stated* that they can't get digital manga. So my only legal access point to the series is cut off.

So no, there are plenty of reasons for us to complain, because we're not "still getting it." We're being denied the ability to purchase and/or read the series in a format that we are comfortable with, and that doesn't run the risk of possibly causing medical problems or being denied access to what they've paid for.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I just think it's so strange that people are complaining about something out of print being brought back into circulation in any form. It's as bad as people complaining about things not getting dubbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2