• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 7 Coolest Quiet Anime Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, choosing between Excel and Senjougahara is hard...I guess I'd have to go with Excel, because Senjougahara doesn't strike me as particularly chatty (although that's probably just because everyone in "Bakemonogatari" is super talkative).
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
No Gintama characters?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
No Watashi? Seriously? I could follow Excel via subtitles. I could not follow Watashi during his monologues at all. How he's not on the poll... I just don't know. Just see if you can follow the first 4 minutes or so of the first episode

As far as quiet characters go, a pretty good list. I'd probably have put Hakko from Canaan on there replacing someone. Her and Santana (and crazy taxi guy) were pretty much the best things about that show.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
No Brandon Heat, Aoshi Shinomori, Shino Aburame? Disappoint.
CBongo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Streaming will be my preferred format as soon as they add the one feature missing from DVD/BD: toggling the audio track on the fly.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
While I don't know if he just has too many lines, but I would think that Sig Curtis of Fullmetal Alchemist would qualify. The quiet husband of Izumi (the brothers' teacher), he tends to speak more with his muscles than with words, which makes him such an interesting foil to Alex Louis Armstrong (who should have made the poll, btw). I have always thought Sig was a pretty cool quiet character.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
CBongo wrote:
Streaming will be my preferred format as soon as they add the one feature missing from DVD/BD: toggling the audio track on the fly.

Missing from DVD/BD? Are you aware of that little button on your remote labeled "audio"?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I chose Senjougahara because she's my favorite character of the choices, but she's not nearly as fast a speaker as the others listed.

I would have Eucliwood Hellscythe from Kore wa Zombie Desuka? in the main list. She's a voluntarily mute necromancer who constantly wears a suit of armor, because the power of her words can and has killed people.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of expecting to see Elizabeth (Katsura's sidekick) from Gintama on this week's list! Very Happy
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I was super pleased with this list, especially since two of my favorite anime girls made the list (Chane and Celty).

As far as talkative characters, I'm a lot less knowledgeable.

I was surprised to see how many people voted for Blu-ray over DVDs, but then I guess anime fans prefer the newest and shiniest things. I'm still a diehard DVD supporter, even as I take great advantage of the legal streams, I want to own these series physically.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Like Dorcas_Aurelia, I would've liked to see Eucliwood Hellscythe on the cool non-talkers list.

On the fast-talkers list, I would've liked to see Straight Couger from S-Cry-ed. That guy was always talking a mile-a-minute, and he was pretty darned cool throughout.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I would have Eucliwood Hellscythe from Kore wa Zombie Desuka? in the main list. She's a voluntarily mute necromancer who constantly wears a suit of armor, because the power of her words can and has killed people.
Yeah, Eu was in my mind as well but I guess she's too, uhh, funny? She is the deadpan snarker of the cast after all.

Primary anime source was streaming {for new episodes/series? Color me surprised?} but mine's DVD because I'm still on the "New to Me" track even after watching hundreds of series. Instant scene select, easily controlled subtitles and often multiple audio tracks equal pure goodness. In comparison, streaming's annoying. Downloading's ok if limited as it's either overpriced or *cough*...

The On Demand service to which I subscribe takes all the problems of streaming and combines it with even more limited subtitle options, uncontrolled content that occasionally skips episodes and a questionable 4 week time limit with "popular" series repeating frequently. I still suscribe because it's fairly cheap and they don't like to stream that much easily. Guess who it is! And that's not much of a challenge...

I don't consider BDs to be different than DVDs. They do load faster and look better but they play the same so to me, they're the same medium. Maybe if they were square rather than round?

As for the ultimate motor mouth, nothing beats Jessica Cavello's Excel. Even I couldn't follow her english once she got up to speed.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Cool to see Freddie on this list. Cromartie High School is awesome.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't actually watched any Durarara, but Celty strikes me as a particularly awesome modernisation of an ancient mythological/fantasy character. If she plays a large part in said show, I might have to go watch it.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
There's the episode of Zetsubou Sensei where they audition voices for Meru. Including Miku Hatsune!
http://youtu.be/WQlnXghK02E
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4