• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Game Bound for USA

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This was confirmed by me @ [This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website] like last Winter, I think it was Play or Game Informer that stated Narultimate Hero would be coming stateside this Winter.

I'd dig up the magazine, but I'm moving stuff Razz
taconinja

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I knew it would happen eventually and I'm glad it's happening soon. All I need now is a PS2.. dangit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
What timing, now it should be a Greatest Hit title regardless if it sucks or not lol.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't these games take place farther into the series? And isn't the PS3 about to come out? This is bad timing on Bandai's part. Way too early for dub fans and way too late for the system (PS3 will probably be backwards-compatible, but still).
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Don't these games take place farther into the series? And isn't the PS3 about to come out? This is bad timing on Bandai's part. Way too early for dub fans and way too late for the system (PS3 will probably be backwards-compatible, but still).

OK. By the time this game is released in North America, the anime will be caught up with it. Secondly, the PS3 is coming out in 2006 or 2007, but it will be backwards compatible. Remember how PS1 games were still being released a year and some even two years after PS2 was released? That's how this will probably unfold, too. Now, if the Xbox 360 launch does not go as well as Microsoft is hoping, then it is expected that Sony may delay the PS3 until 2007 and live off of sales of the newer slim PS2 until then. However, if the Xbox 360 launch goes over really well for Microsoft, then Sony will be forced to respond by launching the PS3 in 2006. Also remember, however, that the PS3 is going to be one very expensive machine, so I don't expect many of the people that these Naruto games are targeted at (mainstream PS2-owning Naruto fans) are going to even get a PS3 for a year, two, or even more after its release. So, is this really bad timing on Bandai's part? No, I don't think so at all. It's not like they have had a chance to release these games yet as the anime just started in North America.

On a side note, the article on the main page says:

"Narultimate Hero 3 is expected to be released for PS in Japan later this year."

This should be changed to PS2 to avoid confusion. Wink

Thanks.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The 1st Narultimate Hero covers the Zabuza to Chuunin exam arc I believe.

Although I think Itachi is it in >_>
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now I NEED a PS2.

I've seen people playing these games at an anime convention. Coolest things I've ever seen. At least I think that's what they were playing . . . it was Naruto-themed, at the least.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I am about to send this email to Viz Media:

"Recently, Bandai America announced plans to release Naruto: Narultimate Hero 1 for PS2 in early 2006. Also, Viz Media in June announced that Bandai America was given the license to release Sony-based Naruto games and Naruto trading card games in North America. Since in Japan, Bandai is the producer of Sony-based Naruto games, this move made perfect sense. However, there are also many quality Naruto games for Nintendo-based systems, but these are all produced by Tomy Entertainment in Japan. My question is this: Does Viz Media have any plans to give the license to these Tomy-produced Nintendo-based Naruto games to a North American video game producer that can release these games in North America? There are many people that would love to hear that these Nintendo-based Naruto games are going to be released in North America, and given the rapidly growing popularity of the Naruto franchise in North America, I'm sure it would be a good business move not only for Viz Media, but also for the company to which Viz Media would give the license of Nintendo-based Naruto games. I and many others eagerly await your reply.

Thank you very much."

Last edited by Josh7289 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Okay, now I NEED a PS2.

I've seen people playing these games at an anime convention. Coolest things I've ever seen. At least I think that's what they were playing . . . it was Naruto-themed, at the least.

The thing about that is, there are at least three seperate console-based Naruto game series. Naruto: Narutimate Hero is a traditional 3-D fighter in the vein of Tekken or Soul Calibur. There are 3 Narutimate Hero games out right now-they seem to release a new one about once a year, in order to include any new characters introduced since the previous game. This one also apprentally has a cool story mode which lets you explore Konoha Village and other locales from the series.

There's also the Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! series, which is basically the same as Narutimate Hero: 3-D fighting. Apprentally there was some sort of legal dispute that split the rights to the Naruto liscence among consoles-these games are from a different publisher (Tomy-Narutimate Hero is from Bandai) and are Gamecube exclusives, while Narutimate Hero is only available on Sony consoles (Xbox gets no love from either series.) I've played one of the Gekitou games (thanks to a friend with a modded GC) and found it to be a whole lot of fun, especially in mutiplayer. The story mode is just a bunch of dialouge boxes followed by fights, though. Right now there are three games in this series,too.

Finally, you've got Uzumaki Ninden, which focuses on Ninja missions instead of fighting. In each level you're given a mission by the Hokage (which usually boils down to "get from point A to point B and beat up anyone inbetween") and a three-person ninja squad to carry it out with. You can switch between characters on the fly and use their individual powers to get through each stage. Bosses include all the fan-favorite bad guys, including spoiler[Sasuke.]
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
given the massive hype, it was only a matter of time before this was announced.

hopefully they'll bring Jump Superstars overseas also.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
given the massive hype, it was only a matter of time before this was announced.

hopefully they'll bring Jump Superstars overseas also.

Don't count on it. Since there are so many different licenses in that game, it would be very difficult to bring it over here since there are so many different companies that hold the licenses for the properties in Jump Superstars.

It's probably best to just import it, but it does look like a very nice game. Wink
06falcon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
this is all good news but what will happen to the gamecube games. i thought that those were the superior games in the series.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I think I read somewhere in Nintendo Power where they'll be releasing them early next year (like in March). Look how quick the Zatch Bell game came out over here!
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I think I read somewhere in Nintendo Power where they'll be releasing them early next year (like in March). Look how quick the Zatch Bell game came out over here!

Yeah, I'm really hoping they bring over the Gamecube games. Which Nintendo Power did you find the info in, since I must have missed that crucial bit of info...

Oh, and just a clarification on Jump Superstars: actually, all the manga licenses are owned by Viz except for those that haven't been licensed yet, which will likely also be grabbed by Viz. However, the dispute comes from the fact that, in America, there are special deals that dictate which companies have exclusive rights to make games based off anime licenses, which are tied to the manga licenses somehow. Examples: Bandai has the exclusive rights to create Naruto games, while Atari has exclusive rights to make Dragonball games, which is why you don't see a game like the recent Dragonball Advance Adventure (for GBA, made by Banpresto in Japan) coming to North America.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

Yeah, I want to know which issue, too, though I could go look through mine. However, Nintendo Power isn't always the most accurate source for games that haven't been announced yet, but they have been correct on other occasions (I think they announced that the One Piece GCN and GBA games would be coming out in North America back in 2002 or something).

EDIT: Clarification: They announced it back in 2002, but they never said when they would be coming out. As we know, they did come out this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4