• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross: Do You Remember Love? Hybrid Pack Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
two words fudge yes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
I really hope the actual BDMV comes out better then this preview, which looks to be quite filtered and not full of delicious grain. Maybe it's a problem with uploading to YouTube? Maybe it is actually that bad and this preview was over-filtered to look better and to cut down filesize for uploading? They ruined the GE999 movies with that awful DNR crap, and I would hate to see my most wanted candidate for BD be ruined as well.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope the BD actually comes out better then this preview, which looks to be quite filtered and not full of delicious grain. Maybe it's a problem with uploading to YouTube? Maybe it is actually that bad? They ruined the GE999 movies with that awful DNR crap, and I would hate to see my most wanted candidate for BD be ruined as well.

here hoping for the better .
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to say Youtube is the problem with video quality.

I have my preorder in at Play Asia. I can not wait!
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
madlaxNoir2001 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope the BD actually comes out better then this preview, which looks to be quite filtered and not full of delicious grain. Maybe it's a problem with uploading to YouTube? Maybe it is actually that bad? They ruined the GE999 movies with that awful DNR crap, and I would hate to see my most wanted candidate for BD be ruined as well.

I thought part of the point of HD releases for old shows was to get rid of grain.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
madlaxNoir2001 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I thought part of the point of HD releases for old shows was to get rid of grain.

It's the opposite. Grain is an inherent part of the physical film, you can't edit it out without also removing some finer detail. The point behind releasing older anime on BluRay, assuming they've been properly telecined, is to provide the work in question with the best preservation and presentation of image quality. You get sharper lines, enhanced detail, and color correction. You get one step closer to seeing how the film was meant to be seen, physically projected onto a larger screen.

DNR will result in smudgy picture and over-saturated colors. Maybe a but of that is acceptable on 16mm TV shows like Zeta Gundam where grain will be more pronounced, but not on 35mm movies.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DNR will result in smudgy picture and over-saturated colors. Maybe a but of that is acceptable on 16mm TV shows like Zeta Gundam where grain will be more pronounced, but not on 35mm movies.

I wouldn't even want to open that door on 16mm, but hey I've been burnt before. Few instances of choice incompetance compare to the ridiculousness of BDs like GE999 or Predator: Ultimate Edition. It's just because of crap like that I never preorder things anymore; at least I didn't until I saw the Limited Edition for DYRL. The screencaps posted on amazon seemed to indicate a genuinely quality HD telecine and I figured it might just be worth it this time, but if this turns out to be another flub I'll feel like a real idiot.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
madlaxNoir2001 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Nah, it is but it [/i] isn't at the same time. Animeigo learned this the hard way when they remastered Macross for the first US release. They accidentally too out too much grain and began to degrade the picture quality, as the grain could be functionally indistinguishable from picture information. They actually had to digitally reintroduce pseudo-rain in some footage because the grain was near essential to the picture.

BTW, those clips looked GLORIOUS. I have never seen the colors on DYRL as vibrant as they were there. My preorder at CDJapan is well justified![/i]
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
As the above posters said, the point of remastering is to fix film wear and tear, it isn't to manipulate the inherent film material to look identical to digitally shot video. Grain is an inherent part of film. New movies and shows are increasingly being digitally shot, so they have no grain.

As an example, look at Discotek's Project A-Ko

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Discotek-Media/147168055312297#!/photo.php?fbid=197663906929378&set=a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297&type=1&theater

The one at the bottom has brighter colors and less noise, but bleeding, and faded lines. Look at C-KO's face in particular, it's disappearing.

This is what too much video scrubbing can do.

Still, this seems like a neverending debate in the film community. Noted film critic Jeffrey Wells is a big detractor of grain, often coming up with various conspiracy theories about how companies like Criterion often INSERT grain into their DVDs/BDs "just because." I think he coined the term "grainstorm." Laughing

Many other film critics disagree with him though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Still, this seems like a neverending debate in the film community. Noted film critic Jeffrey Wells is a big detractor of grain, often coming up with various conspiracy theories about how companies like Criterion often INSERT grain into their DVDs/BDs "just because." I think he coined the term "grainstorm."

Many other film critics disagree with him though.

The preserved grain in Venus Wars looks really cool, and it's highly dynamic. That film is sharp as tack visually. Maybe it comes down to what format of film, and what quality of film they were using that determines how much digital touch up a project might need. Like in Cardcaptor Sakura, the grain isn't very noticeable, so there could be some touching up, but it doesn't detract from the series at all or impact the art. But that's also mostly a bright series, whereas DYRL has a ton of technical detail and is mostly in the dark of the space or the dark of the inner workings of the Macross.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
i've downloaded this anime movie so many times over the years. will gladly buy it when it comes out in the USA.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
i was about to say i'm psyched to buy this, but then reread the article and of course it's a japan only release. guess i'll be psyched to download the region 2 dvd with fansubs patched on from a certain dvd tracker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1