• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (TV, both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think it's been hinted at. He has those golden string things round him so you know he has some sort of ability hidden under the bonnet.

If he's gonna do something he'd better do it soon, I think this one's a one cour and we've spent the last three episodes not rescuing the princess, but exploring the social, political and economic ramifications of rescuing said princess.

Diplomacy, shounen style. Rolling Eyes
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
... social, political and economic ramifications...

I think that's what this show is basically about. From spoilers I've read, the Horizon universe is big - I'm not sure how big. I believe the aspects mentioned above make up a huge part of the show and allows us to understand the Horizon universe further. That brings me to my second point, Horizon doesn't really spoon feed us all the information and you really have to go out of the way to find information - this may be both a positive and negative part of the show but I like it.

I mentioned this before but this will get a second cour/season [in Spring] if sales are successful. Looking at the pre-orders, it seems that a second season/cour may be likely. Also, I honestly feel that this whole first cour/season is merely an introductory to the whole Horizon universe.

The light novels themselves aren't really "light either"... They're pretty huge - people said the first two light novels together is the size of the yellow phone book...

I mean, just look at it Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that Toori Aoi is "holding back"? He plays the fool and gets everyone involved in what he does. Others do his fighting but behnd it all he's a super bad-ass?

I totally get that vibe. I always wondered if he's just really idiotic or a f***ing genius. It leans more towards the former though.

As for the second question, spoilers from information I heard from LN readers - spoiler[It doesn't seem like Toori has any fighting capabilities. However, he will do something major soon by becoming a "battery"* for the Musashi fighters. ]

*that spell from the OP sequence.

Despite this show being a bit messy, I still find myself enjoying it. There's really something special about it that really appeals to me. It may be the characters but I'm having fun watching the show. I noticed that the ones who enjoy this show genuinely enjoy it even with many flaws.

Hrm, I'll try to copy paste information for you guys when I stumble across threads in a certain image board.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
Cool, that'd be appreciated. I'm really surprised at the length of this season to be honest. If it's popular enough to warrant an anime in the first place then trying to squeeze all that information into 12 episodes is counterproductive. The idea of an anime is to attract new fans to the franchise, and if they don't give us all the pieces of the jigsaw, then that's going to seriously hinder our enjoyment of the show.

I get that the universe is big and there's loads going on, but for a one cour anime (testing the water for a second cour) you really need to hit the ground running, and I don't think it's managed that thus far. I won't deny that the story seems to have a lot of substance but I think it's been very poorly executed in the anime.

Regardless, I'm this far in so I'll finish the season up.

(Edit: I popped episode 10 on right after making this post, and would you adam and eve it, it wasn't actually that bad at all. I've posted prior to this indicating my like for the fight scenes in Horizon, and this episode was just one huge battle. Which was nice. Those previously peripheral characters and their funky abilities we get introduced to waaaaaaaaaaay back in the first 10 mins of episode 1 make a reappearance here. There's even a little bit of yuri to sweeten the deal. If they finish the season with two more action-packed episodes, then I retract everything I said, and sign me up for season two Laughing )
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
btw, anyone have pictures of all the Light Novel's cover arts?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 11, another episode of lovely battles. I can even forgive the slightly corny humour because some of it was actually pretty funny. It honestly looks like this one is preparing for a pretty strong finish.

Also, we got to see spoiler[Tori's powers, finally... Staying constantly happy is his niche though? That's a bit lame, haha. I think the majority of his power was through the shrine contract rather than anything he personally has up his sleeve. Still, was nice to see him actually participate in a battle for once.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
btw, anyone have pictures of all the Light Novel's cover arts?

I have a few saved and they mainly consist of the sexy female cast.

I couldn't find the information regarding bless and offering but I managed to get some explanations on the attacks used by some characters.

Episodes 1-10 Timeline - I find it hard to believe this occur over the course of spoiler[two days.]

■Argent Lupus (JP lit. Silver Wolf)
Neito Mitotsudaira’s nickname. Nieto also uses this as her nick in online chats.

■Argent Chaîné (JP lit. Silver Chains)
spoiler[A Divine Weapon used by Neito. It has its own conscious will, and expresses it through changing shape into words, and so on. During combat, it follows Nate’s orders, but can also act of its accord when Neito is in trouble; it has saved her many times before.]

■Original Ability*
An original ability created by its user - once registered by the creator with the god he is contracted with, the owner will be able to use it.

■Yayoizuki, Kisaragi, Mutsuki (JP lit. third, second, and first months of the lunar calendar)
spoiler[An Original Ability by Noriki: the first punch, Yayoizuki, nullifies the recipient’s defenses; the second punch, Kisaragi, allows him to punch anything. By using these two initial punches as an offering, he is able to punch anything he acknowledges, with the punch’s power increased due to the offering - he finishes it off with his last punch, Mutsuki. [basically, he uses two punches as an offering for the third punch to be a 1-hit-KO attack that can’t be blocked or avoided]]

Also, Toori's spoiler[ability basically takes supplies from the ship (he now owns 1/4th of the supplies because he's now "king") and supplies the troops so they can use unlimited blesses or offerings.] The italicized part I'm not sure if I'm correct on it, so don't take my word for it.

Also, this season/cour only adapts just volume 1...

Well, I've nothing much to say other than I'm still enjoying it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 discussion will start here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The series returns Smile

Tori and his foolish self returns to the fold but the shit goes down. The four trumps are are a bit strange to look at but does have impressive powers.

Ah, so glad this series is back on air now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goldman18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see it pick up right where the last season ended. Wasted no time jumping into the action.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was hoping to be disappointed for some reason but Toori proves to make this show fun. Actually, the whole cast makes the show fun. Everything else is just an addition to the show's awesome characters.

I enjoyed the comedic and serious parts of this episode. spoiler[The jokes about sex was hilarious and became funnier when Azuma spoke to Mariam. Toori's goofing off as usual. Kimi is "raping" Tomo.] I was only disappointed by the lack of Neito.

I'm not sure what I think of the OP yet. Terminated sounds better but Zone//Alone is slowly growing on me. The ED sounds good so far and I like it more than last season's. It doesn't stand against Stardust Melodia though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Season 2 discussion will start here.

And all hope ye abandon thar.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
Right back into the action and no time to explain anything, just like it should be. Glad to see Kimi not recovering herself, she looks great that way.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
"Watch out Shakespeare! He's an author!"

Lines like that are what make this anime fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
In an anime in which there are bouncing boobs everywhere, I'm always drawn back due to the hilarious male protagonist that tends to be nude. (It takes a rather secure straight man to admit a nude man keeps drawing him back over the erotic women)

As EmbraceMe and someone else mentioned: it feels entirely like he could go god-mode at any time, but merely hasn't. I think this is the result of all of us being conditioned that overly relaxed characters are all that way as a result of their immense power. This is probably more of a case of him relying utterly on his classmates and really just doesn't need to act serious, when he really has a plan.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda stuck on why Kimi felt it was necessary to loosen Tomo's top. her role as an archer is over , so now its sexy time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9