• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Steins;Gate's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm satisfied with the cast, pretty much all familiar names I like. Loved this series, one of the best ever, IMO.

That said, the English version will lose some of the humor from the Japanese version. Especially "Hey, mister. I'm mad scientist. IT'S SO COORU! Sonuvabitch."

Anyways, the vid doesn't work.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

That said, the English version will lose some of the humor from the Japanese version. Especially "Hey, mister. I'm mad scientist. IT'S SO COORU! Sonuvabitch."

I wonder how they're going to work that out unless they have him speak another language.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
video is private.. well it seems that sern is messing with us again. Also I'm banking on DVD only release here people, I'm not going to give my hopes up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
video is private.. well it seems that sern is messing with us again. Also I'm banking on DVD only release here people, I'm not going to give my hopes up.

The end of the trailer showed it coming as a BD+DVD combo pack...of course we don't know if that was a mistake on Funi's part.

The weird thing is that the JP release has a catalogue number associated with Media Factory and not Kadokawa even they're the one's publishing the title.

I guess we'll hear more about it in the coming weeks or maybe even next week at Otakon.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow Steins;Gate's, awesome grab Funi!
takasu95

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
J Michael Tatum FTW!!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

The end of the trailer showed it coming as a BD+DVD combo pack...of course we don't know if that was a mistake on Funi's part.

The weird thing is that the JP release has a catalogue number associated with Media Factory and not Kadokawa even they're the one's publishing the title.

I guess we'll hear more about it in the coming weeks or maybe even next week at Otakon.

hmm well then if it's bluray then I might buy it I have heard some rumors floating around that Index Season one might be dvd only so eh. Also As stated I couldn't watch the trailer....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
So Mayuri, Daru, Ruka, and Moeka have newer vas with Mayuri's voice actress never having done anything before. That's kind of surprising I thought Funimation would just go all out for this considering it's such a popular title.

Anyway besides Okabe's voice being a tad too deep it sounds good. Mayuri's tuturu is adorable in English.

Guess I need to put some money aside since Funimation has it listed as a September release.

p.s was there a need to color edit Huke's artwork for that cover? It's a mix of the LE Japanese covers but with added color and different bgs.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

That's easy. Just have him go with a bad ghetto accent! Laughing
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

Doesn't stop people from gushing over Baccano and Black Lagoon's dub Laughing
UchuujinKun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope Micheal Tatum does the laugh well ;]
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Steins;Gate's been on my too watch list for awhile and I may have to put it on hold even longer so I can watch it dubbed. The clip sounded pretty good and J. Michael Tatum as a lead definitely doesn't hurt. Wink

I don't recognize four of the voice actors listed, which is a good sign for both this show and Funi dubs in general. Actor overuse has been my largest complaint for awhile, and between this cast list and Is This a Zombie?'s it seems like they're trying to use more new voices.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Definitely great to catch the little preview. :3

The line-up looks really good so far, but yeah, some of the jokes will be just a bit of concern with the way that it is truly Japanese jokes about 2Ch (sp?) and of course the random "engrish" that's used at times.

Even so, can't wait. :3 One of the best shows as of late for me at least.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I envy Mayuri's VA the need to come up with something as charming as Kana Hanazawa's iconic "tutturu!" catch-phrase.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
GTO Neko wrote:
Definitely great to catch the little preview. :3

The line-up looks really good so far, but yeah, some of the jokes will be just a bit of concern with the way that it is truly Japanese jokes about 2Ch (sp?) and of course the random "engrish" that's used at times.

Even so, can't wait. :3 One of the best shows as of late for me at least.

There's nothing particularly Japanese about any of the humour in Steins;Gate. You can substitute 4chan for 2chan fine and like someone mentioned previously the engrish can be replaced with him trying to speak in some wierd accent. Anyway this is going to be a definite purchase for me .. BluRay or no
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6