• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kanta Kamei, Director of Bunny Drop

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I would highly agree with the story being universal since both my parents love the anime (I refuse to show them the manga).
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I love his reaction to the manga ending. Basically, "we were planning on adapting past volume four... but then we actually read it and NOPE."

Good for him. Laughing
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Only bought up til Volume 4, only will. Maybe if they brought over the side stories.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to this release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Very timely interview for me. After learning that the anime only adapted the first part of the manga, I wondered if the second part was going to be animated eventually.

From Kanta Kamei's answers, it seems like we will not see the second part of the Bunny Drop manga animated. I really wish they would animate the rest of the story. I know how the story unfolds, but I would be very, very interested in seeng how the animation staff would approach it.

I enjoyed the Bunny Drop anime immensely. I love pretty much everything about it. It seems to have been created with a lot of love.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
A really interesting interview! I enjoyed watching Daikichi change, culminating in seeing Rin's happiness as his own. I have a soft spot for stories about paternal love~

I kinda want to see them adapt the rest, if only because it may be better at maintaining the relationship between Rin and Daikichi. Even without the ending, it took a back seat to Rin's romantic life in the manga. I've purchased the first four manga volumes, but stopped at that. I have no interest in a series devoted entirely to romantic conquest. I might purchase the 10th volume, though, because it apparently goes back to Rin's childhood days with Daikichi.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This was a really good interview, thank you.

neocloud9 wrote:
I love his reaction to the manga ending. Basically, "we were planning on adapting past volume four... but then we actually read it and NOPE."

Good for him. Laughing

Actually, the two reasons he gave were A: that the Manga hadn't finished yet when they were producing (and presumably writing) the Anime, and B: that the themes and points of view in the Manga's second half are different from the first, so stopping before the timeskip was a logical move.

If we are to believe him, then the ending did not play a part at all in their decision.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This was a really good interview, thank you.

neocloud9 wrote:

Good for him. Laughing

Actually, the two reasons he gave were A: that the Manga hadn't finished yet when they were producing (and presumably writing) the Anime, and B: that the themes and points of view in the Manga's second half are different from the first, so stopping before the timeskip was a logical move.

If we are to believe him, then the ending did not play a part at all in their decision.

I figured the above-bolded was just his way of being diplomatic about it, but I could be wrong. It just struck me as a very Japanese thing to say without directly insulting the original work.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I know how the story unfolds, but I would be very, very interested in seeng how the animation staff would approach it.

Hopefully they would approach is by completely changing it lol.

Anyways good interview, I am glad that he like most people has "mixed feelings" about the end of it lol.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, even if he was being diplomatic there (and I'm not denying he wasn't), the Anime was apparently being written while the Manga was still ongoing. Unless he was being diplomatic about that too, which is possible.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, even if he was being diplomatic there (and I'm not denying he wasn't), the Anime was apparently being written while the Manga was still ongoing. Unless he was being diplomatic about that too, which is possible.

The manga ended 2 months prior to when the first episode of Usagi Drop aired, I am sure if they really wanted to continue they could have.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
2 months before the premiere, the storyboard and everything most definitely had been ready for a long time.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
2 months before the premiere, the storyboard and everything most definitely had been ready for a long time.

The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime ended a month after the Fullmetal Alchemist manga ended. So it can't be impossible.
rapjul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
maaya wrote:

The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime ended a month after the Fullmetal Alchemist manga ended. So it can't be impossible.

I don't really know about how Square Enix does things with their manga, however, it is probably the same, but I know for Jump the authors turn in their chapters 3 weeks before that chapter comes out for printing. So it was really a month plus 3 weeks that Bones had to writing and animated.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
As a single father, I could see parts of my own life in Daikichi's. I especially sympathized with his workplace issues. There's really little support for single fathers in the American workplace, too.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler tag for the interview???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4