• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Busters! Anime Replaces Shiho Kawaragi With Yuiko Tatsumi in Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't get it. Saying words = unhealthy for baby all the sudden? Did I miss that medical press release? Unless she's pretty late in the pregnancy (which apparently she's not TOO far into) I don't see why this is necessary. But best of health to her and the baby, and I still can't wait for this anime.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't get it. Saying words = unhealthy for baby all the sudden? Did I miss that medical press release? Unless she's pretty late in the pregnancy (which apparently she's not TOO far into) I don't see why this is necessary. But best of health to her and the baby, and I still can't wait for this anime.

Reports are its a "long" anime, so probably 2 cour... so she'll likely still be doing voicing when she has the baby and the month or so after.
soulfringe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Well I won't really get too into this since I have zero experience in voice acting and being preggers. But here's how I see it.

Voice acting, like any other job, is stressful. Stress = Bad for pregnant women. And while it may not be as physically exerting as doing construction work, it does take a lot of upper body to produce the voice work these people do.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Well, actually I prefer not to have any replacement for the voice actors (I was even kinda sad that Sashisuseso Sasasa isn't going to be voiced by Tamiyasu)

But, well, we have to respect her decision.

And I was thinking the same as Kougeru. Nishizono is a pretty, or perhaps, really soft voiced, and I dont remember any scene where she raised her voice, not at all. I didn't think that voicing Nishizono would be a problem for her pregnancy.

Anyway, I hope the best for both Kawaragi Shiho and LB!anime.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
This doesn't really bother me, I've never played the visual novel so I won't notice at all. As long as the performance itself is fine I'll be happy.
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Unfortunate, but completely understandable given the situation
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Reports are its a "long" anime, so probably 2 cour... so she'll likely still be doing voicing when she has the baby and the month or so after.

Voicing is done maybe a week or two before the airdate of each episode. She'd only be a few episodes in when the baby comes. If the anime is two cours, the job would last for the first four or five months of her child's life.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on becoming a mother!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Voicing is done maybe a week or two before the airdate of each episode. She'd only be a few episodes in when the baby comes. If the anime is two cours, the job would last for the first four or five months of her child's life.

That might be how SHAFT gets it done, but I think it varies by the production. Some can be done months ahead, some up the to the deadline.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Never played the VN, so I won't notice any difference. I'm sure there are some that will rage at this though. And i'm all for this series being long.
opn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
But she said pregnancy wouldn't interfear with her work....whatever. The person they got too replace kawaragi is really meh and doesn't even sound like her. I'd rather they just delay LB till she can work again.
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Awww, this sucks. I thought it was neat Kawaragi was in this because it actually meant someone OLDER THAN 30 in a lead role in an anime (what's with this ageism thing in the seiyuu industry? You can't be seen when voice acting!) Of course they replaced her with someone at least 10 years younger.

I don't really get the "different actress when one gets pregnant" (which has happened many times before) in the seiyuu industry either. Tara Strong and Grey DeLisle's pregnancies didn't get them replaced (or substituted) for anything.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Japan have this slightly backwards view where women who are pregnant are highly encouraged to not work during the pregnancy?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
You're saying that someone already in their third trimester is suited for work?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

"Saying words" is really minimizing the job of voice acting, the choice really depends on production, schedules and what-not.

It's also not unprecedented. Terri Hawkes couldn't voice Sailor Moon when the 3rd and 4th seasons were being dubbed because of her pregnancy, and I'm sure there's others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2