• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Field of Flowers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
LIZZIE NEWTON: VICTORIAN MYSTERIES looks like it's right up my alley. After reading nothing but depressing shoujo for a while I think I will buy it. I see it's available digitally for only $4.50 on Amazon. Great deal!

I may pick Olympos up on my next Barnes and Nobles run. I thought it was going to be one of those lame anorexic bishounen manga based on the cover, but I am glad to hear it's actually pretty random and different.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading through the first volume of Cats Paradise a few years back and thinking it was pretty cool. I actually want to get back to it eventually. One cat's powers in particular were pretty awesome.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was sold lock, stock, and barrel when I first heard of Lizzie Newton (which was uh, last week). The words "Victorian England" and "Female Detective" are apparently my very personal Kryptonite, on that alone I would have bought all the volumes Seven Seas puts out, the fact that it's good is just icing on the cake.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie Newton and Olympos look pretty interesting and a little different from the usual. Think I'll give these a try. Like Sewingrose, I'm a sucker for anything Victorian England, and female detective is a double bonus.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
I blind bought Olympos at Barnes and Noble a while back and have not regretted it (okay maybe a little for paying full price but it was worth it). I just love it, especially the gorgeous artwork (it comes with colored inserts!) and how it really makes you think. I don't find a lot of manga that do that so I'm really happy my blind buy that was pretty much shallowly based off its pretty cover turned into an intellectual treasure for my mind to feed on. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Olympos is awesome, a really fascinating and beautiful book! I hope to see more of Aki's works licensed in the future.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem is most obvious when Kasuga and Saeki start going out—the two are a self-declared couple, but there's never really a spark between them.

That I would have to disagree with .I really felt like the whole date was very sincere,I especially liked the scene when Kasuga was enthusiastically talking about the books he loved.
Quote:
The randomness of Nakamura's pranks (amusing as they are) also makes her hard to understand: what is her ultimate goal?

I believe that her motivation will be revealed in eiter third or fourth volume.
Well I dont agree with most your negative points but I am really glad that you like manga.IF you like the weirdness aspect of the story the most,the your enjoyment will increase as the story gets really really bizarre.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
Olympus is definitely on my wish list now. Lizzie Newton might get there but I'm not sure yet, the premise doesn't grab me as much as I usually like it to.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
I am also very interested in Lizzie Newton now after having read your review. Oh no, not another manga to add to the pile! Anime hyper

I wonder if I'll end up buying the rest of Flowers of Evil even though I'll probably immediately donate it to the library. Damn curiosity, shoo! There are too many other manga I need to finish/start collecting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Uuuh Ikigami. I think the first volume of it just came out here in Germany. I hope my comic store gets it soon! Has anyone here read a bit of it?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I read volume 5 for a review site I used to write for and quite enjoyed it. I definitely plan to pick up the rest of the series at some point but there's just so much manga out there that I want to read that I haven't yet gotten around to it.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Because I'm lazy I'll just copy-paste what I wrote when I got Olympos back in June:
I wrote:
If anyone's read [Olympos] please explain it to me, seriously. I thought it started out with an interesting premise but sort of ended up wandering aimlessly (albeit with some promising threads throughout, like gods self-aware of their existence as cultural constructs/projections, and their different relationships with the mortals who worship/fear them). Mostly it seemed like the mangaka didn't quite have a firm grasp on how to express her(?) ideas, or maybe even didn't have a specific conclusion in mind when she started. BTW it does have a really lovely cover, cream-colored background with a brilliant sunset-crimson Apollo, all with a pearly lustre.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it to be unfocused at times (I was afraid I just wasn't "getting it").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I think that I want to read Flowers of Evil. There's a dark streak running through me that draws me to things like that, although some of the reactions I have seen it provoke make me a touch wary. A less foreboding worry is that it will run out of credibility before it runs out of twists and outrages. If a story like that goes on too long without a few other tricks, by a certain point, each new thing meant to shock or disturb becomes weirdly mundane.

A quotation from the foreword of the book that lends this manga its name seems fitting:

Satan wrote:

If rape and poison, dagger and burning,
Have still not embroidered their pleasant designs
On the banal canvas of our pitiable destinies,
It's because our souls, alas, are not bold enough!

Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries looks adorable. I had discounted it when I first heard of it, but I'm turning around. I'm a sucker for the Victorian era, at least superficially, and mystery stories set in it. (I've spent a lot of hours with Jeremy Brett) I don't really need them to be particularly good mysteries, that's not really what I'm in it for, I really need the atmosphere and style to be there. If it takes jabs at the aspects of Victorian England that keep my appreciation of it superficial, all the better.

Olympos sounds intimidating, but possibly fascinating. It might be one of the things that one reads to say that one has read it, nod with satisfaction and put it eternally on the shelf to rest.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
After reading your review I had to check out Olympos. I'm so glad I did. It's easily one of my favorite releases this year. I loved Aki's unique take on human nature and immortality. Thanks for leading me to such a terrific gem!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1