• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Young Men Manga Gets Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
I was already expecting that knowing that manga is tremendously popular.Though getting film anime adaptation is a bit surprising.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
so is this that manga they wont release in english because the author is scare it'll cause a tizz because jesus is a character?

Gotta wonder if thats the case has she ever seen south park?

Last edited by RAmmsoldat on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
so is this that manga they wont release in english because the author is scare it'll cause a tizz because jesus is a character?

Gotta wonder if thats the case has he ever seen south park?

I think the reason she does not want the manga to be released in English is not because of fear. I think she just does not want to bother with the trouble that might ensue from the catholic church.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this Anime smile
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I love this series.
Smile

Wonder how many of the characters are going to appear in it though, depending on when it's supposed to take place.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
I've known Christian pastors who's heads would implode over this premise. I've known others ( The Really Good Ones ) who would chuckle and then quote the Buddha because they've taken their study of religion seriously.

I can understand the author & publishers in Japan being cautious about releasing Saint Young Men in the US. But, I think we would be able to get over it - if it even became noticed at all - rather quickly.

Mark Gosdin
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
I read a few chapters of this and it was less offensive than I'd expected. Pretty funny, too. I don't think any harm was meant by it.

Still, shouldn't Muhammad be at least a supporting character?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news! I've only read a small portion of the manga, but enjoyed the little I checked out. Hikaru Nakamura has a pretty smart and quirky style of comedy, as her work on Arakawa Under the Bridge shows.

@Sven Viking

I can't see that happening. I hear he isn't exactly known for his sense of humour
manhiem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I read a few chapters of this and it was less offensive than I'd expected. Pretty funny, too. I don't think any harm was meant by it.

That would be an extraordinarily bad idea. From what I understand, the Muslims get very irate if someone makes a joke about their prophet.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Gotta wonder if thats the case has he ever seen south park?

I think the reason she does not want the manga to be released in English is not because of fear. I think she just does not want to bother with the trouble that might ensue from the catholic church.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this Anime smile

This is what annoys me about my religion sometimes (I'm Roman Catholic), Its ok to laugh at ourselves every now and then. Its not like the series is depicting Jesus as a bad person or anything and i think anyone thats bothered by this concept just needs to be more open minded. Back on topic OMFG!! I WANT TO WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW!! Anime hyper
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
manhiem wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

That would be an extraordinarily bad idea. From what I understand, the Muslims get very irate if someone makes a joke about their prophet.

People here were saying some Christians would be irate because of this. I understand the reasoning, just seems a bit unfortunate that the general lesson is "if you don't want people to poke fun at you, get angrier about everything".
rioka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
@ Sakurazuka_Reika

I doubt the Catholic Church would that be too concerned over a series depicting Jesus in a humorous way. They're more into right to life, traditional marriage, and other issues.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read this yet, but some of the most devout people I know are wild about it, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about it being that offensive. It'd be nice if it could come out over here!
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Considering how goofy the premise is, it's actually a fairly reverent treatment of major religious figures.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Protest to the embassies! Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me the theme to The Odd Couple will be the opening song.

"On November 13, Jesus of Nazareth was asked to remove himself from his place at the Father's side. That request came from the Father. Deep down, He knew He was right. He also knew one day He would return to Him. With no place else to go, He appeared at the home of his friend, Siddhattha Gotama. Several years earlier, Yaśodharā threw him out, requesting that he never return. Can two pillars of religion share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2