• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unpublished Early Osamu Tezuka Manga Discovered

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nice find and I didn't know Tezuka had unpublished work. Sounds just like how a person can find a lost film. Shocked Surprised Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
37k is a smaller number than I thought it'd be. I was thinking six digits minimum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Though it sort of begs the question. Did the person who originally sold it to the store know what it was worth, and did they get a fair price? One would think they had some idea, given they were a very old friend of Tezuka. However at the same time if they knew it was valuable, why did they sell it to a bookstore, and not for instance approach Tezuka Pro directly.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Though it sort of begs the question. Did the person who originally sold it to the store know what it was worth, and did they get a fair price? One would think they had some idea, given they were a very old friend of Tezuka. However at the same time if they knew it was valuable, why did they sell it to a bookstore, and not for instance approach Tezuka Pro directly.

Probably Tezuka's classmate wasn't fully aware of Tezuka's significance. Japanese pre-war generation wasn't into manga culture like today.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
I hope Vertical picks this up. Smile You can never have too much Tezuka goodness.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
37k is a smaller number than I thought it'd be. I was thinking six digits minimum.

Nah, if you look at most antiques and stuff, the average are like in the 4 digits than anything. 37k for a few pages of work is pretty good.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
3 million yen is cheap. i bet you can sell it on auction for much higher price.

3 millions yen is more than 37k USD as of today(11-3-2012).

i bet 3 millions yen won't be close 37k USD(more like 40k) in next couple year. Our fed is killing the currency.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Rick from Pawn Stars would've lowballed the guy for $50.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
partially wrote:

Probably Tezuka's classmate wasn't fully aware of Tezuka's significance. Japanese pre-war generation wasn't into manga culture like today.

Possibly that person died long before the book was taken to the shop if that's the case. These things do happen as well.

HyugaHinata wrote:
I hope Vertical picks this up. Smile You can never have too much Tezuka goodness.

There's been a number of early Tezuka works that have been uncovered in recent years that could at least fit into a a single volume if they wanted to go there.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This made my entire day. It's astounding to think that there's stuff we haven't seen from a man who already has hundreds of separate manga series to his name.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
This made me happy. Very Happy

If only he had the time to complete Hi no Tori... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

"Oh, a rare unpublished manga from the God of Manga himself? Hm.. tell you what, I got a guy who's an expert on this stuff, let me call him down here to take a look"
"Alright"

"Yep.. this is genuine alright. I'd say maybe. 40K"
"Cool, thanks a lot. So.. what were you hoping to do with it? Pawn or sell?"
"Sell it!"
"What were you hoping to get for it?"
"Well.. he said 40K"
"I know what he said, I'm not asking that. I'm asking what you're hoping to get for it. I have to turn a profit here, you see."

"I got 3000 out of it.. I'm pretty happy for that. Wish it was a bit more, but it's more than what I walked in there with!"
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

No, no, he would definitely have played the 'small market' card.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! This is incredible news. I wonder what the title of the story was or was it just an untitled work. That a lot to pass off to someone. I'm surprised this wasn't discovered earlier, but this is an amazing find. Hopefully there will be a release. I'd especially want to see it in the states. Of course I wonder how many library institutions would want to get a copy of this for their collections. Great new indeed.
N.R.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
How can you "release" a 19 page manga? They should just scan it and have it on the internet for free. How would you even bind a 19 page manga book? It will look like a doujinshi (which is technically what this is). Other than that, I hate it when people call Tezuka "God of Manga". He didn't invent the manga nor was he the most popular mangaka of the post-war era. His significance lies in his decision to use cinematic-like angles and portray speed in his works. He was also a very productive mangaka, but again he definitely wasn't the only productive mangaka around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2