• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Heart of Thomas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Waaay, don't spoil it! I've had it on pre-order since April! And it got delayed! Twice! I am pretty psyched to add this onto my shelf though, yay!
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, seems pretty interesting. Might consider getting this manga Smile.
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting and waiting for this to come out, but Fantagraphics keeps pushing back the release date. I just hope it comes of eventually... I've been really looking forward to reading it. We need more Moto in English!
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
OK, I've considered and i'm gonna buy Very Happy It seems too good to miss.
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to owning and reading this manga. Here's hoping the release date from Fantagraphics doesn't get pushed back again.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Reading the plot description reminded me a bit of Hagio's A/A'. In that manga, too, an outsider stepped into a situation where he had the same face as a dead man, and had to deal with everyone else's baggage about someone he'd never met.

I don't know if anyone ever translated it or not, but "Barbara Ikai" was a very interesting SF story she did a few years ago, and also the first comic to win the Japan SF Grand Prix since Otomo's "Domu" back in the 80's.

I'd love to see more anime of her work, maybe as a miniseries in the Noitamina block. "Barbara Ikai" would certainly allow for some trippy visuals, though it might not be first in line for adaptation.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
So did Jason get an advanced copy of the Fantagraphics release for this review? Just wondering...

Regardless, it's great to see someone drumming up interest for this title. It really has been an incredible two years for anime and manga fans. A lot of series that we thought would never see the light of day, have gotten North American releases. I pre-ordered this over a year ago. I can't wait to read it.

Thanks for whetting my appetite!
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the story is recycled from an S Class type manga explains a lot about BL and why all the boys don't look like boys.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The art reminds me of Kaze to Ki no Uta. Thanks for bringing this manga up, Jason, I'll definitely pick it up. I need to read more shojo that isn't traditional romance/rom coms.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
The art reminds me of Kaze to Ki no Uta. .

Wouldn't it be awesome if that was released next?
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

Vertical et al need more prodding, methinks. AFAIK, that manga was a fairly huge hit online, with several essays written on it (spoilers included).

I can't seem to find them now, though. I read the compositions years ago, so they could well have been taken down by now.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing this book. We've pre-ordered it and so far my co-worker had a chance to see a copy at a comic convention. He told me it's a BIIIIIG book. So hopefully we'll have our copy in sometime next week. Yeah, no one knew when this book was coming out as there isn't a date of release for it. Especially on Amazon.com. I was expecting it sometime around late this year as it was scheduled to be available this fall. But with delays you'd expect it like spring of next year. But so far it seems that it will be out. Moto Hagio is really getting a lot attention here, her work is beautiful stuff to look at. I may have to pick up this book and read it myself.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

Vertical et al need more prodding, methinks. AFAIK, that manga was a fairly huge hit online, with several essays written on it (spoilers included).

I can't seem to find them now, though. I read the compositions years ago, so they could well have been taken down by now.

I really doubt Vertical would want to risk licensing Kaze because of how graphic it gets in the middle, especially involving one of the protagonists being in multiple sexual relationships when he's extremely young. I think it'd be more likely that something else by Hagio like A Cruel God Reigns or The Poe Family would be published in english before another Keiko Takemiya series.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
There's a moment toward the end of this manga when everything springs into clarity with such force that it struck me through the heart, and it's just completely brilliant. Not many people can do what Moto Hagio did here. I will never forget this manga, and I can't wait to get my hands on this version of it.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
So did Jason get an advanced copy of the Fantagraphics release for this review? Just wondering...

I did! I know I should've waited till it was available, but I couldn't wait to write about it. You can preorder it if it's too tantalizing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2