• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Tales Told

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
The Wii Mini, I would love to see how this stacks up in size to the Wii. I would pick it up if it had internet capability, but you knew they had to get rid of something for downsizing it. I'll take a Wii U instead.

Gotta love the subliminal message in the Neo Geo ad. But why so "flaccid"? This is the system that makes you [hard] up with excitement. Guess they wanted to keep it clean. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ChibiRob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually there Have been 10 Tales games released in the US, he may have meant "Flagship" titles though. But when you count Symphonia 2 for the Wii and Tales of the World for the PSP the total is 10
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
As many games as you can, huh, Hideo? What about Vesperia for PS3 then? Alot of people who don't want to invest in an Xbox360 still want to play it...not to mention the 50% extra content it has on it, it's almost an entirely new game in itself.

I am excited for Xillia, but I love Vesperia more.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Vesperia PS3 not allowed in the US because of some exclusivity thing with Microsoft or something?
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I once bought a brand new copy of a Neo-Geo collection for the PS2 that had 16 games for $15. So, to show how much times have changed, let's round that number up to $16 with tax or whatever so all the games are $1 apiece. Now, let's take the rough estimate that Neo-Geo games were $200. That means the value of those games deteriorated to an estimated .5% of their original value. HALF A SINGLE PERCENT. Not even EA Sports games from 20 years ago (I'm sorry, EASN before ESPN pulled a lawsuit) lose that much value.

And perhaps the market for Ninja Master's was dyslexic gamers that wanted a side-scrollling 2-Player game where you can play as Timothy van Patten or Lee van Cleef.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Isn't Vesperia PS3 not allowed in the US because of some exclusivity thing with Microsoft or something?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/27/tales-of-vesperia-isnt-part-of-an-xbox-360-exclusivity-deal-after-all/
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I always just assumed Vesperia didn't come out on PS3 here because theres little reason to waste time and resources on releasing a port instead of new games.

Plus, Eternal Sonata for PS3 bombed in sales compared to the 360 version, so they likely saw it wasn't worth it to do Vesperia as well. If you were really interested in the game you likely woulda played it already.

I loved Vesperia and I would have loved to play the extended edition, but I also understand the facts. Voicing tons of new stuff and localizing all of that probably isn't worth it for 50-80k sales.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Virtua Fighter 2. That takes me back.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I always just assumed Vesperia didn't come out on PS3 here because theres little reason to waste time and resources on releasing a port instead of new games.

Plus, Eternal Sonata for PS3 bombed in sales compared to the 360 version, so they likely saw it wasn't worth it to do Vesperia as well. If you were really interested in the game you likely woulda played it already.

I loved Vesperia and I would have loved to play the extended edition, but I also understand the facts. Voicing tons of new stuff and localizing all of that probably isn't worth it for 50-80k sales.

You have to take into account that most of it is already voiced with the exception of the new arts, Patty and Flynn stuff.

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more. Vesperia did not have DLC that was not already in-game. However the PS3 version has over 80 new costumes for all the characters, that's more costumes than Graces F has. So if they charged the same amount for the costumes as they did Graces F, it would easily surpass Graces F's sales in terms of both DLC and initial sales.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
You have to take into account that most of it is already voiced with the exception of the new arts, Patty and Flynn stuff.

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more. Vesperia did not have DLC that was not already in-game. However the PS3 version has over 80 new costumes for all the characters, that's more costumes than Graces F has. So if they charged the same amount for the costumes as they did Graces F, it would easily surpass Graces F's sales in terms of both DLC and initial sales.

Jesus Christ...and people say only American companies have absurd amounts of DLC.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Which is stupid because the PS3 Sonata is clearly the better of the two in just about every way. I own both and I can vouch for the differences.

Neo Geo X: God, those 90s ads. They were from a time of fools. XD

Speaking of the Pocket Color, I heard Sonic Pocket Adventure actually did really well on it and was one of the few cases of a portable Sonic game not being a letdown at all.

7th Dragon 2020-II:
Quote:
Not pictured: Dragons

Unacceptable. No dragons, no deal. You're banned, imageepoch. >XD

Hideo Baba: The Tales series has had that long awkward history in the U.S. which makes people sadly ignore it, but I'm glad that interest in it has revived.

Quote:
Will we see North American releases for the fighting game Tales of VS. or the battlefield brawler Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave, as they're more action-oriented?

Actually, the battle system of VS. is based on the original Tales battle system, so it's a bit different from what the action-game players in the U.S. might expect. One of the major selling points is that the player can control their favorite Tales characters.

Notice how the question wasn't answered lol.

Quote:
It's a difficult question to answer, but if I need to pick one, it'd be Leon Magnus from Tales of Destiny. I'm very impressed with how he spent his life.

How predictable. It's always Lion over there.

DISGAEArt:

Quote:
Those with a low anime-eye threshold will be repulsed within pages, though some amusing departures break up the flow of Harada-brand cute.

If a person actually has a low anime-eye threshold, why would they buy a book like this one in the first place? They'd have to be either be pretty stupid or just plain blind.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not compatible with Gamecube titles or controllers (no surprise there, since the most recent Wii model wasn't either), and it can't connect to the Internet.

A puzzling choice. The heightened appeal of a budget system would be offset by its isolation from online services in this regard. Such a limitation is more profound than the lack of a substantial hard drive or a high-definition cable, traits shared by other minimal console releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Jesus Christ...and people say only American companies have absurd amounts of DLC.

Thats nothing compared to Idolm@ster. Not sure what its up to now, but last I heard it cost nearly 1000 dollars to buy all the DLC. And they keep on adding more.

Idolm@ster is the absolute worst when it comes to DLC in the entire industry. Every single costume goes for like 3 bucks and each girl has at least 40-50 of them. And people wanna get every costume for their favorite girls.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/05/when-downloadable-content-loses-control/

Namco is the worst.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Neo Geo is back!

Neo Geo rereleasing old games that brought it down!

Go figure! They're pulling a Sega!

LOL!
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
7th Dragon...

Maybe it's just me but those character sprites...

remind me of Yosuke, Chie, Yuu, and Yukiko from P4. (just a little?)

Anyone else?

(Not saying they're ripping anything off... I only call ripoffs on things on the Apple app store)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3