• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - DEEP HURTING

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This is for the 38-year-old woman who wrote in:

*wave* You're not alone. I'm Lesley, a 37-year-old woman who is into anime and manga. Nice to "meet" you. Smile

I've been writing about anime at a different website for a little over five years, and I also write and maintain my own manga and anime blog. My contributions to anime may not be nearly as big as Helen McCarthy, but I am out here. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The anime from 2012 I'll buy physical releases of, Mysterious Girlfriend X and Chuunibyou, are already licensed for physical media releases. I'll buy them sight unseen, though, since I don't watch streaming anime. (I refuse to spend money on anything that's not physical media.)

Also, I am also a 38-year old anime fan, though I'm a guy, so I suppose that's considered less "odd". It's not something that causes me any mental anguish, but I'm a loner so I really don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of my hobbies (which also include Hot Wheels collecting).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
5) Stu Levy Dissolves Tokyopop (Again); Relinquishes Rights To All OEL Manga

Rights to revert to original creators; Hetalia To Be License-Rescued By Yen Press.

Ummm what? That.... didn't... happen...
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The Answerfans responses this week were so fun and nice! I feel like this has been a good year for anime, both in regards to what's getting released in the US (I treasure my Utena sets and Nausicaa box) and what's getting made in Japan (I can't even name all the shows I loved watching this year!)

2013 will have a hard time topping this year, but I hope it'll be great too!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The cool thing, though is that it's starting to change! Superhero movies makes billions of dollars;

It only took 70 years of it being in the public eye, and massive successes some 30 and 20 years ago (Superman and Batman) to ingrain an entire generation with a love of comic book heroes. It's taken about two decades to shake off the bad superhero films and start making the good ones that people want to see. Anime's road to that kind of success and recognition in America, being an entirely foreign product, will only be that much more arduous. You need a massive success that resonates with everyone. I doubt Spirited Away had as much as everyone here believes, and Pokemon is only a vehicle for selling toys and merchandise. We need a true critical and financial smashing success, but how do we even make one and still call it anime if it's live-action? Unlike superheroes, live action anime and manga just aren't the same thing. Maybe this has more to do with how often and how well different canons in different media for superheroes can all exist at the same time, something uncommon in anime/manga.

Nerd culture as a whole is moving mainstream, but I just can't see animated anime ever going there.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
~_~ Am I the only one who feels the success of superhero movies and Walking Dead are actually bad for the nerds and not positive? Those adaptions are pretty crappy adaptions. They don't follow the story like anime adaptions do, and they're live-action. The cool thing bout anime is the anime can have the exact same art style and panel direction as the manga its based on. The characters in Walking dead look nothing like their comic counterparts, they're just actors, and it's not even in black and white like the comic was in as a stylistic throwback to old movies. superhero movies go without saying. people into em don't care about the franchises they care bout the movies. to them these heroes are the actors who played them and the movieverse, not the original characters. they don't care about the comics or anything else. in this instance 2D would be actually more realistic than 3D because 3D breaks the immersion by seeing Batman looking exactly like the American Psycho is kinda ruining. at least in my opinion. If live-action adaptions is what it takes for anime to be mainstream hits then i'll stay a hipster and prefer it to be animated and obscure >_> seems like it'd only be accepted if it was fixed by giving them white actors, dumbing it down so it's more MATURE, and making it bland. Clayface was my favorite Batman villain as a kid watching the cartoons and hearing Nolan diss him and say it's too silly and unrealistic to put in a movie makes me want to pimp slap him. it's a movie about guys in tights who dresses like a bat you dolt, not high mature literature that needs to be serious and realistic.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
There are lots of "30 and over" female anime fans around. I am one of them.

I think the thing that has changed about the 30+ female demographic is what, in the genre, captivates us. Most of us are no longer fangirling at every shiny new anime that pops up, but rather, we've become far more selective in what we watch. Some of us happily turn in to shows like Chihayafuru while others have branched out to older classics, such as Rose of Versailles.

And then, I think a lot more of us have branched out into different aspects of being an anime fan. There are many 30+ fans out there that are master cosplayers and will spend months crafting their convention wares. There are many other older fans that collect artwork that was actually used in the production of the anime, or sketches from the character designers and directors who helped made that anime possible. Some older fans enjoy visiting the places in Japan that were highlighted in their favorite shows and then blogging about it afterwards. The same goes for the foodies - How many of you who have gone to Japan desperately wanted to try some of the awesome food featured in manga and anime?

Regardless of gender, as we mature, so it seems, our hobby has matured along with us.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
A 2012 title that I would get a release of?

Well if we're going into wishful thinking territory I'd buy a full on all-out release of AKB0048 from earlier this year. I've already bought the Japanese BDs in a neat little boxset (That's a first from me) and I genuinely think it's one of the most underrated shows of the year!
Love it or hate it at least admit it looks damn pretty!

Cannot wait for season 2 early next year.

(Was The iDOLM@STER 2012 or 2011-2012?)
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
For the first question, I will say that after I did study abroad in Japan, the whole gratuitous use of Japanese by anime fans stopped bothering me completely. Japanese students do the exact same thing with English (and WAAAAY more often) - I heard words like "Bye(bye)" and "Sankyuu" used quite often. It's people enjoying and exploring a new language.

I'm glad to see there are some of you ladies in your thirties out there. I'm in my late twenties and know plenty of people who probably won't give up this hobby anytime soon. I wish there was more opportunity to get to know anime fans who skew older at conventions and the like that DIDN'T take place in a bar (though Anime Boston's Yoko Kanno bar last year was a neat idea!)

And the list of things that didn't happen was highly amusing!
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm over 30, but I've never felt I "belonged" to any fandom. My media interests are quite varied and I never submerge myself into any one of them. Not to mention...ummm, I'm not really very social. So, feeling I have less in common with the majority of the people on this site has always been a non-issue for me.

I have to admit, at the beginning of that "deep" question I started to zone out (which, based on the way its written, I'm sure was the intent). After reading all the way through though, I think that combination of question and answer was one of the best the Answerman column has ever had. The crazy "fox spirit" kid, for a very different reason, will never be topped though. Smile
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, I Can't Play H! - Normally every season I try to follow at least one show of each genre. I picked this to see if it would fit the role of "guilty pleasure of the season" Unfortunately, there was so much blatent censoring I couldn't derive any "guilty pleasure" out of it. This one was bad because of the censoring. I wish I could have seen the real thing, If I expect boobies, I expect to see them. I don't like being teased or led on.

It wasn't good even as a guilty pleasure, with or without the boobies. The censoring isn't exactly a complaint to be directed to the show itself, though I won't say any more on that.

Which series should get a physical release... my first answer is Jintai, but since that's my favourite series of the year I might be biased, so I'll also offer Kids on the Slope.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the column this week. I am a 30, almost 31 year old female anime fan, just to chime in on that.

I would really like AKB0048 and My Little Monster to receive physical releases here.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Was that title supposed to put me in mind of MST3K? Ah, memories...

Saaaaaaandstoooormmmm... saaaaaandstooooormmmm...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Quote:

Rights to revert to original creators; Hetalia To Be License-Rescued By Yen Press.

That answerfan's whole list was of things that didn't happen :) (I have to note, I think they got Kadokawa confused with Kodansha USA on #6.)
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Quote:

Neither did this happen:
Quote:
10) New Puella Magi Madoka Magica TV Series Synopsis Revealed
Show to focus on magical boys; fujoshi rejoice, otaku riot in the streets.

...other wise I would be rejoicing about a possible male!Homura. ^__^

The person, insanebenis, was listing things that would've been "awesome had they actually occurred in real life?"

I'm glad that there are women (non-Japanese) anime fans since not many josei manga are adapted into animation. Not that 30+ women have to only like josei (or just anime/manga) but the fact that any people, regardless of age or gender, can find enjoyment is more important.

As much as I like PMMM, I never found it "deep". I just like how the whole concept of magical girls being part of a much larger conspiracy was done in such tragic tone. It was easy to follow, the use of symbolism was rather light, the use of collage and graphic design was visually appealing, and the main five heroines are still memorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4