• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Pirate License

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I really want to play Anarchy Reigns, even though it goes with the "multiplayer focus without any local multiplayer options" model that irritates me every time I see it. At least I won't have to wait for a price drop.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I am really excited for Anarchy Reigns, usually I'm not that into games that have a heavy focus on online multi-player but it is made by Platinum and I will say I'm a junky for a ton of their games. I'm one of the few people I know who actually played the hell out of God Hand.

This is another thing where I decided to pre-order so I could get some exclusive character stuff, I really hate this kind of crap since I usually prefer to order it online, but really from what I've seen if I don't pre-order to get the character I'll probably be paying another $5 down the road.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
And what was the final game anyone actually bought for the PS2? Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love? Mercenaries 2? The latest FIFA?

I know this was a rhetorical question, but I bought Atelier Iris about three months ago.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The last "new" game I bought for the PS2 was Sakura Wars V in 2010, but I still buy plenty of used games, mainly JRPGs and racing games, for the console and I play it about as often as I do my XBox 360.

I would honestly still buy "new" translations of PS2 JRPGs if only Atlus or NIS America would bring them over. The Dreamcast/Playstation 2/Xbox/GameCube generation of consoles is the generation where the "3D" graphics really caught up to the way I imagined games would look "in the future" back when I was a teenager in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and, honestly, the PS2's graphics still look "good enough" to me (at least for any type of game that doesn't require close-ups of faces).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it's not silly to have resolutions about video games. I know that I probably will never finish the backlog of games I've built up over the years, unless I somehow win the lottery and can spend all of my free time finishing every game I ever left unfinished since the PS2 era. Of course, that'll never happen.

Quote:
As I look for ways to improve this weekly disgorging of my game nerdery, I'd like to hear from you, the reader. What do you like about the X Button? What do you want from it in the year to come?

Well first of all, and take these with a grain of salt as an article writer, I would like it if you stop overly generalizing certain game series, like you keep doing with Tales of. It's irritating to read that because it can show a general lack of research on your part (and I know you do your research). I want to respect you as one gamer to another Todd, but I can't do that when you type up that kind of foolishness. Second, you could ease up on the annotation nonsense. You can always type something normal about the screenshots, you know. They don't always have to be a jab at "that lady's boobs are this game's selling point" or how "the girl in this screenshot is really staring at his ass".

Trails in the Flash: For pete's sake, we're never going to catch up with the Trails series. I'm so tired of waiting for SC. Why didn't we ever take an interest in this series back when it first came out?

End of PS2: Just to note, the last PS2 game I bought before putting the system away was Digimon World 4, primarily because I wanted to play it and it became very hard to find for some reason, so I had to hunt around for it. Ah memories, the PS2 had one of the more memorable (though not as memorable as the PS1 era) gaming periods. We just keep moving forward and not think about the older systems we leave behind.

DavidShallcross wrote:
I know this was a rhetorical question, but I bought Atelier Iris about three months ago.

Nice choice. A shame I bought the first Iris after playing 2 and 3 prior because the game's battles felt too slow for me and I never got around to finishing it.

Macross 30: Huh, a giant Macrossover then? I wouldn't expect this to come here, considering Harmony Gold's stupidity over the rights to "Robotech".

Inazuma Eleven Go 2:

Quote:
The school no longer has a soccer club, and Tenma soon learns that it's part of a mad scheme hatched by a cabal of time-traveling villains who want to erase the sport of soccer from the very fabric of time. Of course, this can only be countered by Tenma and his teammates playing soccer games throughout different eras of history.

It may be the first soccer game to feature Oda Nobunaga and Joan of Arc, but Chrono Stone's still an Inazuma Eleven title.

Definitely a plot for a Saturday morning cartoon. I've read far worse ridiculous plots though (see Pokemon Conquest).

One Piece Romance Dawn: It's hilarious to even see the word "romance" associated with anything having to do with One Piece, but of course I know they mean story. Well Bleach and Naruto have touched RPG territory before, so I'm not surprised One Piece decided to as well.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cranium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
The last new game I bought for PS2 was Yakuza 2 in 2008 and in fact that was the last time I played with my PS2 considerable amount of time. I have since bought some older games used but never played played them seriously and even sold some of them back.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Last new game I bought for the PS2 was either sakura Wars or Persona 4 whichever came out last.

Actually I did buy a new copy of Dia Senkyurai VII from comp usa in July.

Last import I bought for the ps2 was Ghost in the shell and Memories OFF Again 3 weeks ago.

Last game I bought for the ps2 was Armored Core 2 last week, Trapt and Tsungani 3 weeks ago.

And for the record oldest game I bought in the last few weeks was a copy of Phelios from a pawn shop, Sega Genesis game.

My advice for the column is to stop being such a prat. People dislike Capcom, not just because of MML, so you need to get over that. Nothing wrong with some disliking something.

And I kind of disagree with the other guy, you seem to never do research based on your writings, and have only minimal knowledge at best of whats going on in your profession. You made it a point to rip the psp left and right, proclaiming how dead it was, and then proceed to have a shocked face like some dbz fodder facing goku each time new games like Gungnir and Growlanser were announced for it. And for the record as Sony owners generally like rpgs as they get the most of them (from the ps1 to ps3, and psp, all these systems are bountiful for rpgs, why would that stop with the vita) , I am sure vita owners would be just fine with anime based games. So in short, stop making baseless comments.

I will give you a little praise though with the import roundup section, its nice to get glimpses of games we wont get without importing.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sega didn't even make that amazing multi-player demo for Anarchy Reigns available outside of Japan, did they? It's already got English and the dub and everything!

But yeah, get Anarchy Reigns. I spent hours on the Japanese demo the month it came out. 30 dollars practically seems like robbery.
CrownKlown wrote:
And I kind of disagree with the other guy, you seem to never do research based on your writings, and have only minimal knowledge at best of whats going on in your profession. You made it a point to rip the psp left and right, proclaiming how dead it was, and then proceed to have a shocked face like some dbz fodder facing goku each time new games like Gungnir and Growlanser were announced for it. And for the record as Sony owners generally like rpgs as they get the most of them (from the ps1 to ps3, and psp, all these systems are bountiful for rpgs, why would that stop with the vita) , I am sure vita owners would be just fine with anime based games. So in short, stop making baseless comments.

Well, really now, he's far from the only person surprised at how the system manages to continue to not die. The release slate has very thin these last two years, quantity wise anyway, no doubt about that.

Import round up is generally what keeps me coming back here, since it's a good reminder of what's coming out. The occasional interviews are always nice, too. To be honest, I generally find the column rather, well, boring, otherwise, but I guess it's a matter of tastes not matching up or something. Maybe more reviews of import games would be nice, although I can understand how that can be hard to arrange.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame we'll not likely see One Piece: Romance Dawn over here. It looks like a far more ambitious game than the Pirate Warriors fodder, even if it does look like a by-the-numbers JRPG. Another good use of a anime license with JRPG gameplay was DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans on the DS. An overlooked, underrated game by the guys at Monolithsoft.

The PSP was an awesome handheld and Sony calling it quits on the system early in the US was disappointing. There's still a bunch of good games on the Japanese market that likely won't get translated. I usually import the casual anime fighters like the Bleach: Heat the Soul games and Gundam vs. Gundam, but when I see the RPGs that won't get brought over here, it's understandable, but still disappointing.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I just want to point that so far, Inazuma Eleven 1 & 2 (and Wii's Strikers) have been released in Europe.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Inazuma Eleven Go 2:

Quote:
The school no longer has a soccer club, and Tenma soon learns that it's part of a mad scheme hatched by a cabal of time-traveling villains who want to erase the sport of soccer from the very fabric of time. Of course, this can only be countered by Tenma and his teammates playing soccer games throughout different eras of history.

It may be the first soccer game to feature Oda Nobunaga and Joan of Arc, but Chrono Stone's still an Inazuma Eleven title.

Definitely a plot for a Saturday morning cartoon. I've read far worse ridiculous plots though (see Pokemon Conquest).

Hey, there's those football players who went back in time to become King Arthur & the Knights of Justice!

kgw wrote:
I just want to point that so far, Inazuma Eleven 1 & 2 (and Wii's Strikers) have been released in Europe.

Europe is the home of soccer, so there's good chance.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hey, there's those football players who went back in time to become King Arthur & the Knights of Justice!

That show worked for all the right reasons. It was good ol' Saturday morning cheese. That sort of weak plot nonsense does not work in today's world.
samsonium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Inazuma Eleven Go 2:

Quote:

Holy childhood nostalgia. I forgot about that show! I must've been 5 or 6 when I saw it. I thought their shields were so cool.

Re: article feedback, I, for one, enjoy the flavor text on the screenshots. It's humorous to me 9 times out of 10 and one of the major reasons I read this column (same with xkcd). Of course, sometimes I hover over images in other columns, desperately hoping for funny text so maybe I'm just conditioned to it. Overall, I enjoy the column most of the time so here's to a job well done and cheers to the new year.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
I honestly can't think of much that is wrong with the column as it is. Over time it has been adjusted to work well every week. Feel free to try whatever new things you think of and I think the comments will respond with yay or nay.

I disagree with the poster above. The annotations of the screenshots are a great addition to the articles. I would actually prefer it if the captions were visible instead of image tags. I don't have time for uptight articles about videogames being serious business. I enjoy the cheerful and candid tone of the X-button. There are a bunch of humorous tropes to be found in anime and videogames and I am glad these articles poke fun at them.

Quote:
We critics do like to commend imaginative games and spur the public to buy them, but sometimes we forget to spend our own money on them. And sometimes we don't notice them and all. Then we go back to griping about how nobody appreciated the unique and wonderful games that we didn't actually buy. I've done this, and I'd rather not mention which games I ignored. Well, no more of that.

As someone who regularly reads videogame focused articles I find this quite amusing. Critics love to talk about lack of originality and how nobody is doing anything interesting.

After all their complaining, games like "Call of Duty Black Ops 2" (the sixth game in the modern series), Assassin's Creed 3 (I lost count), and "Shooting Things: The game" (a falsified title for exaggeration) constantly get high praise when they are released, despite being mostly the same uninspired sequels complained about.

Months later the critics go back to complaining that nothing is new and the cycle starts again. It's very annoying to me. It's not wrong to like games, but you can't have it both ways. Sometimes I think that critics getting games for free really does skew their opinion on what is valuable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2