• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Akira Toriyama's 'Kintoki' 1-Shot Manga Next Week

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds cool. Will buy if released in print.IF I mean if Viz will actualy publish it in print in the first place. (Still waiting for Nisekoi print volumes... and Cross Manage... and that other one...)
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Definitely something I'd get if they could put it out in print form somehow. I hate that I can't get to some of the newer stuff since it's digital now, but I just can't bring myself to re-subscribe due to the switch to digital.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leokiko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Please do a complete news on this survey:

"The publisher has launched a survey for fans' thoughts on the new issue. The company is also streaming a 30-second video about the magazine."

This survey is also available for people outside N.A/Canada, so it's rather important don't you think?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Weekly Shonen Jump bugs me because its something you'd think I'd be all over; A) I love serial anthologies (best value) B) I love weekly comics (consistency), and C) I LOVE DIGITAL COMICS (on my iPad)

But damn it, there is nothing regularly published in Jump I care about. Shonen manga are just not for me.

This Toriyama one-shot sounds fun though. Hopefully one day Viz will be able to release it as a stand alone Digital release.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
looking forward to it Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
After posting my post up there, I took a little time to check out the Weekly Shonen Jump home site. Apparently there's been a bit going on lately. With the title going same day as japan, and digital issues no longer expiring over time (something I recall not being pleased with when I was investigating Jump Digital before).

What I was surprised about was how much of a great value Weekly Shonen Jump actually is. $26 for 48 weeks. Or you can pay $1 an issue.

That. Is. INSANE. Considering each issue is like 150 pages. (if the latest issue isn't a fluke)

Also a new series just launched, One-Punch Man. Which actually sounds really interesting. And for a dollar an issue... there really isn't any reason not to try it. So getting the Toriyama story next week won't be a problem either.

And who knows. Maybe something else will end up being interesting to me. But not Naruto. I read the latest installment, and it was nearly incomprehensible. And I'm the sort of person who prides himself of entering a series mid-stride and being able to piece together what's going on. The narrative was just... horrible. It had no flow to speak of. I couldn't even keep the panel to panel continuity of where people were located in the scene straight, or who was fighting who.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping it would be released in print somehow Sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
I'm still interested in how they're gonna translate, letter, and release a new chapter every week! Are the sound effects going to be untranslated?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm still interested in how they're gonna translate, letter, and release a new chapter every week! Are the sound effects going to be untranslated?

Presumably they're working close with the Jump people to get the comic files early to do the translations in a timely manner.

EDIT: Latest issue I'm looking at (first one to be same day as Japan) has translated sound effects
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Sure love being coldcocked out of these things because of my not being American.

Love it to death I do.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Sure love being coldcocked out of these things because of my not being American.

Love it to death I do.

Is the digital edition region locked?
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Love it to death I do.

Conan-san, I just saw this survey provided by Shonen Jump. Their twitter account encourages those outside the US/Canada to give feedback on the survey (second link on the page)—I imagine that the more responses they get, the more pressure they can put on the Japanese side to open it up to more/all regions. Maybe you already saw this, but for you or anyone else frustrated by region restrictions, here's a good way to let them know!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1