• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Unveils New Zelda Wii U Title in Development

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The Wind Waker HD remake makes me so excited. I adore that game (my favorite 3D Zelda game) and will be buying it day 1 when it releases.

The thoughts of a new Zelda game though, those intrigue me as well. I'm curious if we'll see a return to the classic Zelda where you could enter any of the dungeons when you wanted to. Multiplayer doesn't appeal to me too much (though Four Swords is always a good time).
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm, on the one hand I'm excited that Nintendo isn't just planning on following the same old formula for the next Zelda game, but adding other players and making it less linear seem like risky moves to me. I've always felt that more sandbox-style games often have a much harder time maintaining a consistent atmosphere and tend to make the plot far more choppy and less thematically resonant in order to compensate for the developer's lack of control over exactly how the player experiences the plot. I realize that plot has never been the main draw with Zelda games, but Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both seemed to be advancing the series into more emotionally resonant territory, so I can't help but be mildly concerned. Of course, I could be worrying about absolutely nothing Laughing

Anyway, those Wind Waker remake images are absolutely gorgeous and have suddenly made me excited about the game despite the fact that I never managed to finish it.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
What was the bloody point of releasing an HD system...when they're not even going to take advantage of the HD graphics.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The remake looks good, but Nintendo really need to start pulling out their finger if they want the Wii U to be a success.
So far it has a very weak line-up, with a new Mario, Zelda and Super Smash Bros, some way off in the future.
What with Microsoft and Sony's new consoles coming out soon, where are the killer apps to fight them off?
Hope they have something to show off for E3...
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for a none HD remake for 3ds, but I can't deny. Those are some awesome graphics.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Sweet mother of God, that looks amazing. When I heard "HD version of Wind Waker" I thought it was going to literally just be that, an HD version, but it seems like they're completely overhauling the game's visuals.

Now do an HD port of Mario Galaxy. And Metroid Prime.

Hypocritically, I do have to agree with what other people are saying though, Nintendo needs to either attract major third party exclusives or stop just reiterating their core franchises. A new Mario Kart for example is nothing to get excited about- that series has seriously stagnated.

That Yoshi Yarn thing looks nice though. I support the idea of producing more games where things are made out of yarn.

Vata Raven wrote:
What was the bloody point of releasing an HD system...when they're not even going to take advantage of the HD graphics.

The Wind Waker thing does have HD graphics Confused

It's based on a 10 year old game though, so it's obviously not going to look as good as a new title.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
You know, when I opened up ANN and saw "New Zelda" and "New Monolith game" I thought "Okay. I'm probably gonna have to buy a Wii U. But after watching this video...eh. I don't want to dismiss this game purely because it is trying to be different. That might be a good thing. But the way it is trying to be different...I don't know. I am so sick of all this forced cooperation in games. I don't want to play with others. And I especially don't want to play Zelda with others. And as for non-linearity...again I don't know. I don't outright object to this idea. There are plenty of good non linear games. Maybe this is something they can make work. Still, linearity is not a dirty word. There is nothing wrong with a game being linear. So I definitely hope they're not just changing this because "non linear" is the industry's hot thing right now.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo, learn some new tricks. Maybe start some NEW franchises.

I did quite enjoy Wind Waker, though. I was actually able to beat that myself. So that's probably a clue that it was really easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Iwata has stated it still needs a lot of work. I expect them to overhaul the assets and make it jive with the rest of the lighting style they have.
penguintruth wrote:

I did quite enjoy Wind Waker, though. I was actually able to beat that myself. So that's probably a clue that it was really easy.
What's funny is whenever they make a new franchise, people tend to ignore it.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

This, lady and gents, is what we call a muppet.
Anyway, most exciting news day for a all-round/Nintendo gamer in a long-time.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Buy 10 copies of each when they do.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
There is nothing wrong with a game being linear. So I definitely hope they're not just changing this because "non linear" is the industry's hot thing right now.

They're only "rethinking" the general Zelda-conventions. Maybe it's not so much as them thinking linearity is bad, but them wanting to try something new. If that's the case, then I for one am completely okay with it.

Just as long as they make a great game, that's all that matters. Anime smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
There is nothing wrong with a game being linear. So I definitely hope they're not just changing this because "non linear" is the industry's hot thing right now.

They're only "rethinking" the general Zelda-conventions. Maybe it's not so much as them thinking linearity is bad, but them wanting to try something new. If that's the case, then I for one am completely okay with it.

I don't know. There's nothing wrong with change. But change for the sake of change is rarely a good idea and that is definitely the vibe I'm getting here. This idea of building up your inventory throughout the game to increase your options has always been a core element of Zelda games. Non linearity forces everything to be self contained though and that really flies in the face of the above. This may well mean we'll see a lot of really circumstantial items. Stuff that can only be used in the dungeon you find it because they can't count on you to have it anywhere else. This I think is a lot less fun.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, I didn't think the original Wind Waker could get more gorgeous, but I was wrong. I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to the HD remake. (Plus, having two screens seems to really help Zelda in general, thanks to the emphasis on items.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Welp, this bumps up my interest in getting a Wii-U quite a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2