• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winds of Amnesia

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Dera caused a rather split opinion of Tamako Market of whether he's adorable and chubby or fat and disgusting. I'm obviously in the former considering I treat it like a light fantastic sitcom with Dera as the amusing talking mascot character. It'll be interesting to see if any of the small side plots gets resolved like that little unrequited love triangle Tamako unknowingly got herself into.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
giseki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of the new shows yet but I enjoyed reading this...also I'm tempted to watch amnesia because I love bad clothes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
@Bamboo

For what its worth, the third episode of Sasami@Ganbaranai is about 70% infodump and explains pretty much everything that's going on. And while there is one WTF weird plot point, its by far the least weird episode of the three. It's very dedicated to plot exposition (and a little development) so its not spending its time on crazy, wacky hijinks which seem to be what made the first two difficult to get through. It also almost feels like an ending, so if you've seen the first two, its probably at least worth watching the third to get the explanations and then you can just pretend you finished watching a three episode OVA.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I am truly having a fun time with anime that I am currently watching like I didn't in a long time.Jojo is still incredibly entertaining,only now it has one the best shonen protagonists that I have seen who by his nature really reminds me of Indiana Jones,too bad that animation in latest episode was almost nonexistent.Psycho-Pass got pretty better and it seems to have settled in some sort of groove,I am expecting each episode will only get more violent and darker until puff it ends.
Quote:
Ever since episode 11, Psycho Pass has become much more exciting and interesting.

I find it interesting that you like these episodes more than the ones before,but yet you rank the show sixth.I guess you must really like the new shows huh.
From the New World is also pretty awesome balancing nicely between psychological horror and political games.But there is so much build up that unless in the end they all get naked and start disco partying it is all going to suck.
Space Brothers also has been pretty good.I love the drama,tension and character interactions that are all found in last episodes,nevertheless it is completely scientifically unrealistic and in the show that tries to present itself as scientifically realistic that hurts it a lot.
Chihayafuru 2 is great,yeah ,how unexpected.There really isnt need for anything more to be said.
I like all the economy and agriculture in MAOYU ,but for a show that stated "No one in world can hate maids" it pretty much made me hate one,so there is that.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't like Sasami-San. It just was weird to be weird and felt like it was trying too hard. Going into the season I thought it would be the -San show to watch, but its failed miserably in comparison to Kotoura-San.

Also, I really hate that bird in Tamako Market. I was looking forward to another K-On esque show given its the same staff, but they kinda ruined that by focusing so much on an unfunny bird character that adds nothing to the series. Take him out and it goes from a 5/10 to a 8/10, easily.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I must confess; I almost cried watching Space Brothers these past few weeks. I was so worried about spoiler[Hibito] and how the dangers of being an astronaut were well-demonstrated. The drama usually stretches but that just makes the show and how characters deal with stressful situations much more credible.

Quote:
But mostly, it was because I have an incredible weakness for fat animals.
How can anyone not love fat animals? They're so obese and cuddly~ :3 If Dera doesn't get a plushie by the Spring, then something's wrong with KyotoAni's marketing. I also like the warm and cheerful tone in Tamako Market. The art and animation are wonderful as always.

Not surprised that Chihayafuru 2 is number one (for now) but I am surprised Sasami-san@Ganbaranai was dropped so early. I'm used to the Japanese folklore and pop culture references, action scenes that come out of nowhere, the very long dialogue which doubles as exposition, the fanserivce (from boobs to incest), and pretty much everything else I expect from a Studio SHAFT adaption.
As of ep. 3, she'sspoiler[ no longer a Hikikomori and odds are this will turn into a Haruhi Suzumiya clone.]

Also, silly question: Bamboo, will you not cover the 5 min shorts this season? Both Encouragement of Climb and Mangirl are way better than I thought. Obviously, I'm also watching Hetalia B.W but I was just curious.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, on Kotoura-san, wrote:
Unaware of the effect her actions have on people, though, she starts blurting out everyone's thoughts out loud.

"Unaware"? The heck? She can read people's minds for crying out loud. That makes her the most qualified person on Earth to know what effect her actions have on other people.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm really disappointed there weren't more reviews of Chihayafuru 2. And Kotoura-san is going to definitely be in my top 10 anime judging only from the first few episodes. If they keep this up and nail the ending it's going to be one of the best emotional dramas I've watched in recent memory. Man, these last few anime seasons have been really good.

And I really hope Hibito makes it next week...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It also almost feels like an ending, so if you've seen the first two, its probably at least worth watching the third to get the explanations and then you can just pretend you finished watching a three episode OVA.

Ah damn, now I may as well watch the third episode; this will be the third time coming back to Sasami-san. It was an insta-drop after the first episode.

Tamako Market - So... is the K-ON team trolling the otaku? That's kinda what it feels like to me. I'm enjoying it for what it's worth, but it's definitely a second tier winter show.

Favorites so far:
Chiyahafuru (duh)
Vividred Operation
Kotoura-san
Problem Children
Love Live

Also, for some reason, I’m keeping up with a lot of those 3min shows. I’ve surprised myself at how much I actually like a few of them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I am finding this season too otaku pandering for my taste. Luckily for me, I am still following three shows from last season. The only two offerings I picked up from this seaon are Kotoura-san and Maoyu. These are my rankings:

1. From the New World: I am still enjoying the show but was bothered by two things: a)although interesting, the monster rats issue seems kind of disjointed, and b) were Maria and Saki this much in love from the beginning?

2. Robotics;Notes: I like its silliness, and I just hope its now more serious tone does not ruin the enjoyment.

3. Magi: I continue to adore the main cast, but I am getting tired of the Cassim arc.

4. Kotoura-san: I am very glad I found this series. I absolutely love Kotoura (even with her stupid decision); Manabe is a blast; Yuriko seems like a very interesting character.

5. Maoyu: I am intrigued by its potential, but the last episode (4) left me wondering how good can it really be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Also, for some reason, I’m keeping up with a lot of those 3min shows. I’ve surprised myself at how much I actually like a few of them.

I've really been enjoying Encouragement of Climb (Yama no Susume). It has an on-going/serialised story, it has pleasant and sympathetic characters (including a great father), and the show exudes a feel-good vibe similar to Tamayura - Hitotose.

The other one I'm following is Mangirl!, which I don't like as much but still find watchable. It's only three minutes after all, so easy to digest.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kotoura below MDJ? I'd like to hear the rationale behind that.

Personally, MDJ is my favorite show of this season. It's got nice action, good music, cute characters, and pretty tight plotting.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Uh, which one is MDJ again? Not sure what title you're referring to.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
From the New World, O do I love thee.

I think that part of what's so great about it is the fact that I have no idea what's going to happen next. I genuinely wonder how things will progress. When things happen, it makes perfect sense after the fact, but you couldn't have guessed it. As for not knowing what kind of story it is, I don't think it will really turn into any typical 'kind' of story. To quote one of my favorite films, eXistenZ, "You have to play the game to know why you're playing the game."

The same is true for From the New World. It doesn't feel like a story where the author is pulling the plot along, rather, it feels like a series of real events in the world it takes place in, a fully realized world. It all adds up to something, though. It gives quite a bit of meaning to everything that happens.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to why Minami-ke Tadaima is not ranked. I presume it's because it's a comedy with an expansive cast of classmates where you really have to watch the first season to grasp all of the idiosyncrasies of the characters and the complexities of the interpersonal relationships and, most importantly, who is aware or unaware as to which characters are crossdressing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10