• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
make a general forum

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:02 pm Reply with quote
for god's sake the whole locking threads bit is getting old really qucik. i'm sick of everything getting killed just cause one mod doesn't like it( i won't name names). it's not like people are posting offensive content. this board's getting really boring and uptight, and i think this is the perfect solution to the problem.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I dunno...I, for one, enjoy this forum without all the "OMG! Name the hottest anime chick!" threads and whatnot. There are SO many anime forums out there for that junk. I like the intelligent conversation here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
I dunno...I, for one, enjoy this forum without all the "OMG! Name the hottest anime chick!" threads and whatnot. There are SO many anime forums out there for that junk. I like the intelligent conversation here.

yeah i understand. theat's hell i'd raTther not go through(thechtv boards). but at the at the same time, thre hasn't been any interesting cincersation. any time someone mentions something even the slightest bit off topic, it gets locked. that's why i think we need a general forum.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Because the Admin have decided that this forum is strictly about anime (and Japanese culture)....asking what color your undies are isn't really appropriate here.

I don't think we really need a general forum for spam topics. Again, there's tons of forums out there. If you want to spam that badly, go spam somewhere else....or make your own forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zenitram

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cassandra"]Because the Admin have decided that this forum is strictly about anime (and Japanese culture)quote]

Yes, but every anime,videogame,whatever themed site/board that I have seen has a general forum. If we had one, we could talk about tv,movies,videogames,polotics,life,music(non anime), whatever. It wouldn't hurt.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Zenitram wrote:

Yes, but every anime,videogame,whatever themed site/board that I have seen has a general forum. If we had one, we could talk about tv,movies,videogames,polotics,life,music(non anime), whatever. It wouldn't hurt.

That's my point. They don't want to make it like every other board out there.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Zenitram wrote:

That's my point. They don't want to make it like every other board out there.

it's something we've discussed in the past, and are re-discussing now. we'll see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

it's something we've discussed in the past, and are re-discussing now. we'll see what happens.

Blah. That just means more spam >.<
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:37 pm Reply with quote
oh my god. please forgive my extremely sloppy message earlier. i'm taking typing classes, and i didn't really look at my message after posting it. oh the embarassment.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:38 pm Reply with quote
This is a news site, not your traditional fan site. Things should be held to a higher standard. There's a thousand fan sites out there, there's nothing that says you can't talk about ANNs news at them. If you don't like the rules here then go to those forums and have those conversations. Don't want to do that then follow the rules.

Personally I like what Cookie is doing. There has been a sudden influx of imature posters basicly spaming up the forums (how hard is it to post maga questions in the manga section, and tech support in the suppower forum?). If things were to continue this way the site would quickly be over run by kids talking about how coooool the newest anime on cartoon network is because it's just like Dragon ball Z. Rolling Eyes Uhg, we don't need stuff like that here. There are so few sites out there where you can have an intelligent conversation, this place is better off without the nonsence.

And for the record, I've seen Cookie lock his own posts as soon as he posted them because he felt they were too off topic so don't feel like he's picking on anyone.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Cookie is doing a good job moderating the forums.

I also think there are plenty of other ways and places to chat about general stuff. It's refreshing to come to an anime web site that has a forum that just talks about anime. Not to discourage people from coming or posting, but I don't come here to chat about what movie I saw last night and such. Although, I guess if you made a general forum...no one's forcing me to use it...
Delthayre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:07 am Reply with quote
I think things are fine as they stand. I really would prefer to avoid "board creep". I don't believe that the ANN staff has made any unwise judgements in what they lock and would prefer they continue their policies as they have before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1