• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Filler Up

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Well I did think the reveal of the Sybil system in Psycho Pass was actually decent myself. Primarily because it gave a rational explanation behind the whole previous plot-twist of Shōgo stating thatspoiler[ "the system has never worked on me"], which had basically ruined the first half for me. So the Sybil reveal was a bit of a redemption for that. HOWEVER the other aspects unveiled by the Sybil system reveal are simply absurd and go completely against earlier parts of the series. For example spoiler[the system has previously been shown to work on non-human targets, e.g. the robotic dogs, the entire reason the Dominators have a decomposer setting. Yet suddenly apparently the system only works by looking at mental hue and cannot detect completely obvious crimes right in front of it??? Then how did it ever work on robots, let alone that the idea is just stupid.] So yeah the show is definitely a see-saw of decent ideas and terrible execution. The problem seems to be that it verges too much on the side of spectacle, so when they get a idea of doing this Totally Awesome SceneTM, they go ahead with it whether or not it matches the rest of the show.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the Joukin Panda episode of Shirokuma Cafe brought some tears to everyone's eyes. Made it even worse when they played his song for the ending theme! Wahhhhh!!! It was nice seeing Panda do his best to not admit that he was lonely without Joukin san, and to see Penguin defend Panda.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
My rankings:

1. From the New World - I still think this series is very smart and well executed. Things are coming together nicely. I do agree with Bamboo that the monster rats are not that interesting.

2. Robotics;Notes I am still enjoying it. But I am a bit disappointed that Subaru, Frau and Jun have been absent from the last episodes. I hope the conclusion is well done.

3. Maoyu - It is a cool series but uneven at times. Some episodes can be great but others can be dull.

4. Magi - The Cassim arc was too long and draining. It is a quality show but I am lacking some motivation to keep watching it.

5. Kotoura-san - I mostly agree with Bamboo in this one. I am disappointed, but not surprised, about the direction it took.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Kotura-San: My personal favorite from the winter season, I can understand the sudden bait and switch in tone bothering Bamboo, but it hardly bugged me much and it turned out to be a much more enjoyable show than I was expecting, and even for a comedy show it does handle its character dynamics fairly well. It really feels as though it knows what its doing and I like that!

Robotics;Notes: I'll go ahead and say it, I always perfered this show to Psycho Pass on the NominationA block and the recent spur of episodes have pretty much solidified that for me. Now I haven't seen steins;gate so this show living up to that was never important to me and thus I've been able to enjoy it at the pace its going and how its going about it. my only concern now is how its going to wrap itself up with these last four episodes which Ironicly...

Psycho Pass:...I'd say this show has the better chance of doing. To be honest, the whole psychology aspect of the show never really interested me and so I was just watching the show for some good ol cop drama action. I guess that's why I felt so indifferent about the reveal. I mean at the end of episode 16 I WAS curious tosee what it was but come episode 17 I simply went "oh, so that's what it was..." I'm more interested to see how Makishima and Kogami's inevidable final showdown gets carried out, and for whatever else they use to carry that along *spreads out arms* come what may.

Oshura: I didn't see myself liking this show as much, but Bamboo does have a point, alot of stuff I'd usually begroan in harem shows (especially the 'oh so spunky younger sister' loli type) isn't acctually here and so I'm able to enjoy and laugh at it more. Its not going to win a oscar or anything but the show has been plenty fun for me.

Maoyu: Ok, I'll be honest, I'm kind of behind on this show because I really can't seem to find myself arsed enough to care about catching up. I'm still keeping tabs on it just incase, but its kind of boring to me. and NO. I'm not saying I want the show to be sword swinging off blood and gore every 5 seconds but I don't seem to find myself legitimatly caring for any of the characters... now of course that can change and I AM interested in how the show is going about its Human vs. Demon war scenario, but I wouldn't put it up on a high pedestool or anything.

Tamako Market: Eh, its a step above K-on, at least I'm not bored and the characters are amusing enough, but thats it, and I have other shows for that. I haven't seen episode 7 yet, but I hear that's when we get an inkling of Dera being somewhat relavent again...but I suppose I don't really have anything against this show. I'm not quite as apathetic towards it as I am K-on but it's resting right above that line.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Shin Sekai Yori so low and Maoyuu so high makes me a bit sad.

But I love your top 3 so I can't complain there. Very Happy
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
If you're one ep away from dropping DCIII and hoping that ep 8 provides some info about the tree.... spoiler[yeah, you're never going to find out. It's chests, not cherry blossoms, covered this time around. Obligatory swimsuit season, to be exact.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Osaka Okan, Haganai NEXT, Good Jobu, AKB0048 Next Stage, and Maoyuu are near the top of my lists right now. I like Space Bros and Chihayafuru, but they're just steady watches, not much to say that hasn't been said in every single Stream and review they're in.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The DCIII visual novel it's getting its age 18+ upgrade next month, so unfortunately the anime right now is pretty much a preview of coming attractions. I have absolutely no issues with the fan service, and I hope the BD's are uncensored, but I really do want the story to get back on track with the mystery at hand. episode 8 looks like a pool episode so hopefully episode 9 will finally deliver.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I'm still keeping up with:

1. Chihayafuru: I agree; that mother-daughter shopping trip was so touching! >< This series never fails to strike a strong emotional chord with me, and I think it's pretty great that even (especially) the quieter episodes can be so fantastic.

2. Magi: Well, it passed my test. It made a filler episode entertaining. That's proof enough for me that this is quality shounen, though I hope the animation quality picks back up when the plot does.

3. Zetsuen no Tempest: Still enjoying all the twists and turns, as well as the slightly twisted characters and their various ulterior motives. I don't like Hakaze as much as I used to--I liked that she was quick to realize the implications of her crush on Yoshino and responded aptly by spoiler[confessing her feelings and begging him to make her forget him], but I feel like her actions after Yoshino revealed the actual identity of his girlfriend have been really immature and childish. Seems like kind of an extended out-of-character moment for a woman who used to be so strong and independent. However, I thought the show handled spoiler[Yoshino revealing that he was Aika's boyfriend to Mahiro] pretty expertly and it made me appreciate those characters more. Overall, the show is still really strong, but I feel like I'm starting to see the strings. Here's hoping.

4. The Unlimited: After a recommendation from Jesuotaku, I have decided to pick this one back up after having dropped it after one episode. It's a fun action show with some striking designs and good animation. The characters are likeable too. It's not exactly deep, but it's good entertainment. I also considered picking Oreshura back up after JO's rec, but I honestly don't have time for another show, so I'll have to watch it after it's done. @~@

5. Maoyuu: I like it, but it's not something I'm dying to watch every week, which means I'm one or two episodes behind right now. I plan to catch up when I get the chance, though, because I really like the characters and the dynamic between the Hero and the Demon King. Also, Lady Knight FTW!

6. Amnesia: Ugh. I've already complained about this show enough, so I'll just say that I think it may just be some sort of Stockholm Syndrome keeping me watching this show. I can think of no other reason. xD However, the last episode was alright because the Heroine actually finished some of her sentences and Kento was pretty cute. I wish they had given him more than one episode. I'm hoping Touma proves himself to be as likeable as he seems.

I'm also still following Senyuu, which is still hilarious, and Hetalia: The Beautiful World. Digging the updated art style on the latter.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm falling behind in a lot of stuff thanks to classes now but I did decide to drop Hakkenden this week. It didn't do anything bad per say but it just didn't do anything amazingly enough to keep my attention and with such a packed schedule it doesn't make sense for me to keep following along. Seems to be general consensus of the rest of the internet as well, can't believe I'm down to just 7 series though, I can't remember the last time I followed less than my normal 10/12 shows in a season.
manhiem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
With Kotoura's mother re-entering the picture, things may take another turn for the dramatic.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, OreShura. A show which for the past month or so has been painfully sliding into Harem nonsense. All the characters are now braindead, and you have to wonder how Eita became top of his class when he's a complete and utter moron. Even Masuzu has lost her edge, and all the girls are just fighting over Eita like he's a pair of shoes on-sale at 90% off. I'm surprised that Bamboo thinks highly of the show when the characters display many of the same fundamental flaws as those in regular harem series do.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the most part, I forgive most of this as generic, silly anime stuff. We've all been around the anime block enough times to not get surprised when ridiculous magical girl stuff like this happens. What pushed me over the edge was the beach episode. This episode was written by people who have never watched a beach episode before, and have only heard through the grapevine that such things exist. At some point, one of the girls (Akane, I think?) bends over, and she's got a button on her swimsuit that says, “Do Not Push.” So of course, someone pushes it. And her suit BALLOONS into this giant, Violet Beauregarde sphere, at which point the other girls assume it's a tent. Of course! What else could it be! So they dive under, and suddenly, eek! She's naked underneath!

Stop, stop, stop. This is ridiculous. This entire episode is a slap in the face of anime fans. I mean, if you're going to have a fanservice episode, at least make it reasonable and interesting. Just having bikinis and squishy boobs doesn't make it good. Fanservice without purpose is just a waste of digital paint. The bizarre training scenario that Ferret Grandpa puts the girls in didn't even merit existence, because up until now, we have only been led to believe that the girls are magically perfect at fighting. It's a mind-numbingly stupid episode, and it was the last nail in the coffin for me. I can't watch this show anymore.

So wait, your objection to the beach episode is that instead of doing the bog-standard beach-episode antics it...actually did something new? Seriously? Yes it was really, really, REALLY silly, but...thats the point! In fact you seem to have entirely missed the entire core concept of the show.

I'm amazed you even made it this far in the show, but really? This was the last straw?
Durga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually not surprised at Kotoura-san's switch to comedy. It seemed obvious early on that it wanted to be a comedy with a little drama thrown in for good measure. My problem with the show now is that the comedy has grown too repetitive, relying all too often on Manabe being a pervert as its source of comedy. You can do a running gag, but you need to have enough variety to keep it fresh, otherwise I'm left with moldy old material to chew on.

Some have complained about Maoyu not showing all of the adventures Hero goes on, but I actually like the pacing of the show. If it had more episodes and a higher budget, I'd like to see more action, but we're seeing just enough to be interesting while moving the plot at a good pace. It helps that what the characters do and talk about is so interesting. Maoyu's carved a nice little niche for itself, so even if it's not great, it's good and unique enough to be worth watching.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I ended up dropping both Maoyu and Problem Children on episode six. Even after reading impressions on those, I don't understand how most people are not bored to tears by those shows. Chihayafuru is struggling to keep my interest too. I do agree that they spend more time with the characters and less playing karuta (which bored me by the end of season 1 and has not really done anything new here).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7