• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Timely Paradox

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
1up is shutting down. Aww crap. I just didn't spend enough time on that site. Hell some of well known game bloggers became part of that site. Like Jeremy Parish who showed his much love/hate and humor about FF7 and Xenogears. But aside from him there a lot of good stuff on that site. Sad to see it go. Considering the amount of sites I've collected over the years that I didn't know were gone.

So Toki Towa is finally coming out. I had thought this game had been released. I have to admit it's an interesting premise. The layout is pretty interesting. 2D on 3D modeling. Although it does remind me of games like that used a similar interface where the characters were 2D but the game would rotate giving a 3D affect. Beyond the Beyond comes to mind as well as other's that I can't name. But hopefully it will prove to be a decent RPG.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Atelier Ayesha's release is going to definitely determine how much tolerance fans have for this type of drastic decision-making. I'm looking forward to seeing the whining and crying on GameFAQs in due time. It'll probably look something like this:

"English sucks! Where's my glorious nihongo!? I want to hear my moe Ayesha! Desu desu desu!!"

Really, the voice option shouldn't be a huge factor, but since it's a tradition to include both languages for Gust games, it is going to have some impact for breaking the usual chain. I couldn't care less myself though. It's nice to have a separate audio option, but it's never part of my criteria for buying an RPG.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
March 5-12 is gonna be pricy for me.

In terms of anime esque games, I'm going to be getting Atelier Ayesha and Neptunia, and then non-anime games will be Simcity and MLB The Show 2013.

March every year runs my wallet dry moreso than any other month.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see 1Up go away. Even though I didn't visit the site often, whenever I did there was always something worth reading, with that Kenji Eno interview (I just knew you had to link to it, Todd) being one of the absolute best interviews I have ever read. To go with that, it's extremely sad to know that Kenji Eno is gone, because his games were original as hell, and his attitude toward game development was just as original. Hell, reading that 1Up interview again last week makes me feel that someone in Japan should just make a biopic about Eno, because his life simply sounded interesting as hell & I'd love to see it "in action", in a sense.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
'What's up with Naruto's eyes'? Clearly he's been infused with Hypnotoad!

Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Really, the voice option shouldn't be a huge factor, but since it's a tradition to include both languages for Gust games, it is going to have some impact for breaking the usual chain. I couldn't care less myself though. It's nice to have a separate audio option, but it's never part of my criteria for buying an RPG.

The thing that bothers me aside from that, of course, is the fact that TK is really handling it horribly. Not even a week away from release and not a single trailer? Also; no LE also bothers me but then again, I primarly got those for the artbooks.

It's like they want it to die.

On the subject of Phantom Breaker;
still waiting, 7Sixty. Still waiting for news on the official release of the original game, thank you.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the whining and crying on GameFAQs in due time. It'll probably look something like this:

"English sucks! Where's my glorious nihongo!? I want to hear my moe Ayesha! Desu desu desu!!"

So, you don't actually read GameFAQs, huh? Most of the posts on the Ayesha forum have been the opposite: "You stupid weaboo, if the Japanese track is so important, why don't you just import it?"
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really played any Tomb Raiders games since I gave up on the first to appear on the PS2. (Forgot its name -- Darkness something, I think.) I generally enjoyed the three preceeding ones on the PS1, though.

Which is why I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched a video from this newest attempt at a Tomb Raider game. Not so much for any gameplay footage that I never watched, but the cinematics I saw, which prompted the question: "What the hell did they do to Lara?"
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Heh on the side cover of the Nartuo 3DS game:

animefan425

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the whining and crying on GameFAQs in due time. It'll probably look something like this:

Really, the voice option shouldn't be a huge factor

Why not? Why is it that just because some gamers want to play the game in its original language they are mocked and insulted? I've never understood that position, especially since gamers have tried for years to have video games be recognized as "art", yet when some people treat them as such they are looked down upon. You never see anyone mock or insult French cinema fans because they prefer to watch the films in their version originale with English subtitles since they are considered works of art so anything else than releasing them in their unadulterated form is unacceptable, so why is it that it's acceptable to show contempt for anyone who prefers to play the game in its langue originale? Is it because in this case, the language is Japanese (an "uncool" language) instead of French?
The saddest thing is to see that sentiment even here, a place dedicated to Japanese popular culture.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Really, the voice option shouldn't be a huge factor

Why not? Why is it that just because some gamers want to play the game in its original language they are mocked and insulted? I've never understood that position, especially since gamers have tried for years to have video games be recognized as "art", yet when some people treat them as such they are looked down upon. You never see anyone mock or insult French cinema fans because they prefer to watch the films in their version originale with English subtitles since they are considered works of art so anything else than releasing them in their unadulterated form is unacceptable, so why is it that it's acceptable to show contempt for anyone who prefers to play the game in its langue originale? Is it because in this case, the language is Japanese (an "uncool" language) instead of French?
The saddest thing is to see that sentiment even here, a place dedicated to Japanese popular culture.

Couldn't agree with you more. When I watch anime in Japanese or wish to play a game of Japanese origin in its native tongue, it's not because I hate English dubbing in particular or think all English speaking voice actors suck compared to their Japanese contemporaries. I do so because it is the language that the person who created what I am experiencing intended to be used in their creation. This is a big part of artistic intent and communication, and is a thing that I find gamers have a harder time grasping than fans of other mediums. It's somewhat related to how Americans feel the need to constantly remake popular film and TV franchises from other countries (although this is of course also driven by a financial incentive). I'm hardly an Otaku (I usually dislike or even despise the anime and manga that a typical Otaku might enjoy, and think most games based on anime/manage franchises are a complete was of time and creative resources), so I believe many others like myself hold such a view in regards to the vocal language not because they're "Weeaboos", but because of the reasons I have outlined above.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

In terms of anime esque games, I'm going to be getting Atelier Ayesha and Neptunia, and then non-anime games will be Simcity and MLB The Show 2013.

>Neptunia
>Atlier Ayesha
>Simcity
>MLB The Show

One of these things is not like the others...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Are those game descriptions pre-constructed PR blurbs or editorial thoughts? Mainly since they seemed to neglect mentioning Powerful Shippuden being based on the Naruto SD Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden anime and manga. If it was a PR blurb then I guess I could see why since the anime and manga aren't licensed. Though the E rating makes me wonder if they'll cut out the more raunchier humor the series has which would be a shame.

Last edited by TitanXL on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

>Neptunia
>Atlier Ayesha
>Simcity
>MLB The Show

One of these things is not like the others...

One of them has Japanese audio?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Very funny.

But seeing you intending to buy a sports game (anime fans are nerds, and nerds tend to not be into sports--I'm not, e.g besides motorsports) was kind of surreal.

You just don't seem like the kind of person who would by an MLB game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4