• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Yamato 2199 Anime Film's Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Only a week since a volume which blew away my expectations for the fourth volume straight, and we get a teaser trailer like this! For those of us who are old enough (like myself) or widely-viewed enough to have seen Star Blazers, this remake continues to surprise, entertain, and inspire discussion. This is what a remake should be like - take the original story, which in this case is an anime classic, and improve on it.

While I've been buying the Blu-Rays from Japan (which have English subtitles, unlike the DVD release), with the upcoming TV broadcast of the first thirteen episodes set to start on TBS in April, I wonder if we'll see Crunchyroll or some other streaming site(s) pick Yamato 2199 up.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
^^^^^^

I sure hope so. If I had the extra cash, I would be doing what you are and importing the blu-rays. This show looks fantastic!

My delusional hope would be that this gets a dub and a run on R1 television. I guess that makes me an old timer. Cool
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It's likely Funi will simulcast the TV series because they have the Yamato Resurrection movie license.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing this picked up over here, perhaps by Funimation. Though I think I'd prefer to have the original series.

Those CGI monsters look ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
^^^^^^

I sure hope so. If I had the extra cash, I would be doing what you are and importing the blu-rays. This show looks fantastic!

My delusional hope would be that this gets a dub and a run on R1 television. I guess that makes me an old timer. Cool

Did you watch Star Blazers during its TV run? If so, then yeah like me you fit into that category Wink. Showed some friends of mine the fourth volume today, including one fellow old-timer. It included spoiler[a battle between a fleet commanded by Domel (Lysis) and a fleet from the Comet Empire, complete with the old pipe organ dirge music that played whenever their ships were in scene.]

Yamato's status alone would almost guarantee a dub regardless of the licensor (most likely to be either Funimation or Sentai, but there are no guarantees), but I have no idea about a TV airing. It might actually happen over here in Australia should Madman licence it, since the government-owned ABC and the community-run and funded 31 network of stations both have anime screening time here, but I can't comment on any American airing.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
It's likely Funi will simulcast the TV series because they have the Yamato Resurrection movie license.

It's dangerous to say "it's likely" when there's been no licence announcement regarding it. It's possible, yes, but to say it's likely has no basis simply because Funimation have licensed Resurrection for a home video release. Besides, Funimation could just as easily only opt for the home video rights and leave the streaming licence for Crunchyroll to pick up. In any case, whoever picks it up will have to go through Voyager Entertainment, who are the company that owns the Yamato property. Hopefully we'll hear a simulcast announcement in the weeks prior to the April 7 premiere date, and maybe a Home Video licence at one of the major events in the US summer. Whether that happens is another matter.

penguintruth wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing this picked up over here, perhaps by Funimation. Though I think I'd prefer to have the original series.

Those CGI monsters look ridiculous.

If my Yamato chronology is right, this is likely to be planet Bemerra. While the CGI monsters aren't the best (and the content on a trailer shouldn't be considered final), these creatures are a far sight better than the original version's, which were downright cartoonish.

Are you seriously saying these are superior aliens?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_abkMP58OLUA/SL_A8hLsNbI/AAAAAAAAGFY/PfYRtN1BtMc/s200/04+Rebels+confront+queen.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_abkMP58OLUA/SL_A8v-KUsI/AAAAAAAAGFg/JaTpIOAzE2E/s200/05+Covering+their+retreat.jpg

This and the spoiler[Balanosaurus ] are the two things I am really hoping don't show up in this version.

Edit: added spoiler tags.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
Hey, I liked Beemera. The scene with Analyzer and Yuki in the prison was a classic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1