• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Gets 5.7% & 5.9% Ratings

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Very nice!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone announces a simulcast for this I've been looking forward to it for months Sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
And no one is streaming it in the west of course. Sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Why wasn't this reviewed in the Preview Guide? Is it an OVA, or does one have to see the original to understand it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why wasn't this reviewed in the Preview Guide? Is it an OVA, or does one have to see the original to understand it?

It is an OVA in format, which was shown in multiple episode parts in theaters for about the last year, and is still ongoing. You don't need to see the 1974 series at all to get anything here, it's a complete remake with better pacing and more than the token woman aboard.

The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I hope someone announces a simulcast for this I've been looking forward to it for months Sad

I wonder if its success in theaters and home video sales would preclude a simulcast from happening.

I wonder if the TV series will catch up to the theatrical releases, I can't see how they wouldn't lose money if the final episodes were on air before on the big screen.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A spokesperson for MBS said that the largest demographic of viewers of the show were those between the ages of 35-49, followed by viewers 20-34 and children 4-12.

How do they know this so far Anime hyper kinda scary
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Its an airing of an OVA from last year.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I wonder if the TV series will catch up to the theatrical releases, I can't see how they wouldn't lose money if the final episodes were on air before on the big screen.

That depends on whether or not they decided to show all 26 episodes in one shot. If they air 13 episodes for the spring season then break for the summer season, they might be okay.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Wooooo!!! Way to go. This is how it should be.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
article wrote:
the largest demographic of viewers of the show were those between the ages of 35-49

This should be expected for an old franchise like this one. I too lament it not being legally streamed for R1. I want to watch this remake so badly, but I am hesitant to pirate it.
Tochiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Uhm everyone... the Blurays DO have English subtitles you know... ^^;

And at 1 BD every 2-3 months, I've found that keeping up with the series over the past year hasn't been all that pricey at all, especially for a Japanese release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tochiro wrote:
Uhm everyone... the Blurays DO have English subtitles you know... ^^;

And at 1 BD every 2-3 months, I've found that keeping up with the series over the past year hasn't been all that pricey at all, especially for a Japanese release.

I though about importing Yamato 2199 too. But I want to check it out before committing to spending at least $500 in all the volumes. If you have seen the original 1974 series, how better is Yamato 2199 compared to the original?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If you have seen the original 1974 series, how better is Yamato 2199 compared to the original?

It moves faster, it actually has a budget, and there's far more depth written for the characters. The cheesier elements have been removed too, so it's all around a much more convenient anime to recommend to Yamato newcomers, since it's difficult to recommend a 39 year old series, even if it is out of BD now. Even to someone accustomed to watching older anime, there comes a limit when things just become too archaic, and the early 70s television anime straddles that line. It's not the same as watching Tom & Jerry on BD or the Looney Toons, which basically become timeless. Truly old anime is just...rough, but Yamato does avoid a lot of that with the unchanging Leiji designs of people and ships.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
If you have seen the original 1974 series, how better is Yamato 2199 compared to the original?

It moves faster, it actually has a budget, and there's far more depth written for the characters. The cheesier elements have been removed too, so it's all around a much more convenient anime to recommend to Yamato newcomers, since it's difficult to recommend a 39 year old series, even if it is out of BD now. Even to someone accustomed to watching older anime, there comes a limit when things just become too archaic, and the early 70s television anime straddles that line. It's not the same as watching Tom & Jerry on BD or the Looney Toons, which basically become timeless. Truly old anime is just...rough, but Yamato does avoid a lot of that with the unchanging Leiji designs of people and ships.

It helps that the original Yamato is quite consistent in it's animation quality, unlike SDF Macross, and its worst is never as bad as the worst in that show. When I watched it for the first time a few months ago, I found I was simply too involved in the story and the setting to notice the roughness of the animation, barring some obvious mistakes.

But yes, 2199 is a much superior remake, especially in giving the characters fully developed personalities and motivations and putting more women in the ship's complement, as you say. Great animation, better paced, lots of interesting plot changes, new characters and elements, etc. It basically improves on the original in pretty much every aspect. I imagine I'll rewatch this version more than the original, although I still love the original and would watch that one when I want a genuine retro feel to the whole thing. I would certainly recommend this to newcomers over the original.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That depends on whether or not they decided to show all 26 episodes in one shot. If they air 13 episodes for the spring season then break for the summer season, they might be okay.

They can't air all 26 episodes in one shot, if they're keeping to the same timeframes (and quality) as the production has to date. They will run out of episodes before the sixth movie is released. Going by the ~3 monthly release cycle (where movies are 3 months apart and retail releases of Blu-Rays/DVDs are about 6 weeks after that), the sixth movie will be released early-mid July with the disc release in late August, and the final movie out in cinemas in October with a late November release for the last disc.

I haven't heard any official word how many episodes TBS/MBS are airing at this stage. I've heard talk that it's only ten episodes (the first three chapters/volumes/movies) but that's all it is, talk. I would have thought that either thirteen for half the series or this purported ten episodes would be the most likely season for 2199, although ten episodes would be unusual for a TV broadcast.

Including a week off on 5 May for Golden Week (which is highly likely to be skipped in the schedule), you'd have a ten-episode run ending on 16 June, a thirteen-episode run ending on 7 July, or if they exhausted what was available on disc up to the point that they would run through to Episode 18 around 11 August, with the sixth Blu-Ray volume likely to come out the end of that month.

I expect though that the most likely scenario is that they'll run 10 or 13 episodes in this season and then broadcast the rest next winter or even next Spring. 2014 will be the 40th anniversary of the original and while they won't likely wait until its actual anniversary date in October (makes me think the last movie will be around the anniversary date this year). Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't hold off airing the show on television until next year.

It will also be interesting to see how the TV broadcast affects disc sales, how any increase in disc sales resulting from it affects TV ratings in return.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It moves faster, it actually has a budget, and there's far more depth written for the characters. The cheesier elements have been removed too, so it's all around a much more convenient anime to recommend to Yamato newcomers, since it's difficult to recommend a 39 year old series, even if it is out of BD now.

Also more depth to the story. Things are explained better, and there are logical explanations for some of the iconic things we see in the show, especially in the early episodes.

That it has a budget really shows. They've had a lot more time to plan it, to design it, to write it, to get it right. So far there hasn't been too much, if anything, that it's done wrong, and certainly nothing but the pickiest person would find fault with.

Watching the original isn't mandatory, but it will give you an appreciation of how good this remake really is. I love the original, it was my favourite series as a kid and I still think it has good rewatch value, but 2199 to date is the series gone right, and given that they're not rushing it, they've got plenty of time and money to do it right this time, I can't see it not continuing at this level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4