• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Launches Streaming Channel with Hulu Videos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Tried it on my iPad and like all things Hulu, it gives the "not on a mobile device, you don't" error. And I didn't see an announcement of an app or channel for set top boxes or game consoles (Roku, Xbox 360, etc.).

Sorry, don't think it's very appealing to launch a PC-only streaming video service in 2013, when stats show people moving away from PCs.

Thank goodness for Crunchyroll. They get it.
leokiko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
USA only with shitty streaming?

Thank you, based CR.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Apparently they didn't expect as much traffic as they're getting. Because I'm getting a "we're temporarily placing the site launch on hold" message.

Would be nice if they add Gurren Lagann on that list eventually.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Tried it on my iPad and like all things Hulu, it gives the "not on a mobile device, you don't" error. And I didn't see an announcement of an app or channel for set top boxes or game consoles (Roku, Xbox 360, etc.).

Sorry, don't think it's very appealing to launch a PC-only streaming video service in 2013, when stats show people moving away from PCs.

Thank goodness for Crunchyroll. They get it.
For video watching, stats I've seen show PC is still very high (Netflix PS3 tho), but I don't see a point in this site if it just uses hulu videos
StormSky92

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Can't get access to the site.

Did it say whether it's subbed or dubbed or both?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
You really should have waited to report this as the launch got delayed after a matter of hours.
Quote:
Aniplex Channel is Almost Ready!

All of your favorite anime titles from Aniplex are on their way to you on the all new Aniplex Channel. We're almost ready to launch so check back soon. Due to an overwhelming response from our fans we are temporarily placing the site launch on hold while we make changes to better deliver the titles you love. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Anyway not really surprised this happened, having them make this central streaming site. I see the site looks quite like VIZAnime's. Aniplex probably got some inspiration from there.

I probably will never really use this as I have CR with better streaming quality for their shows as I have a subscription there. Works for those that want everything in just one central place though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
While CR has many of the same titles and with better service, it's still nice to see AoA making their titles available for viewing without having to pay an arm and a leg to buy the discs.

The only thing I am afraid of is that they will start pulling their series from CR's catalogue in order to attempt to get people to use their site instead. It wouldn't be a tragedy, since the shows would still be available, it would just be a pain.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
sony already owns crackle
so, I guess this might mean they will pull shows from crunchyroll soon
that is the only way i see them profiting from hulu unless they want to take a loss by appealing to a larger demographic base
Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
sony already owns crackle
so, I guess this might mean they will pull shows from crunchyroll soon
that is the only way i see them profiting from hulu unless they want to take a loss by appealing to a larger demographic base

Sony Pictures is the owner of Crackle, not Sony Music they are two different companies.

They are just opening up more possible venues to get people to watch their shows.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
While CR has many of the same titles and with better service, it's still nice to see AoA making their titles available for viewing without having to pay an arm and a leg to buy the discs.

The only thing I am afraid of is that they will start pulling their series from CR's catalogue in order to attempt to get people to use their site instead. It wouldn't be a tragedy, since the shows would still be available, it would just be a pain.

Perhaps you were unaware, but most if not all of these titles had been available on Hulu before Aniplex ever launched their own site. Since the videos are Hulu embeds, this is just an aggregation site, much like VizAnime.com. It makes it easier for people to find AoA's videos than going to Hulu directly.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
USA only

*cough**cough*
HINT: there's a browser plug-in for such MEDIA.
*cough**cough*
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Are they going discontinue streaming on Crunchyroll and Cracker?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
Can't get access to the site.

Did it say whether it's subbed or dubbed or both?

Aniplex?

Put their dubs online?

For FREE?

walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's working now, but the 360p quality is pretty horrendous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1