• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Biggest Crybaby Heroes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Anyone who has seen Alien Nine would surely put Yuri Otani near the top of the list of crybaby heroes; after all she spends a nontrivial amount of her screen time bawling her eyes out. I would say this is a notable omission from the list, but even in its day, the source material wasn't well-known.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
This is the hardest poll yet.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Anyone who has seen Alien Nine would surely put Yuri Otani near the top of the list of crybaby heroes; after all she spends a nontrivial amount of her screen time bawling her eyes out. I would say this is a notable omission from the list, but even in its day, the source material wasn't well-known.

She's a crybaby through sheer, unadulterated and, well, warrented terror. I thought her reaction was the normal one, they start fighting aliens by forcingly bonding with one through the head, not to talk of its tongue licking affection... from its perch atop the head.

And then there's the horror, alien gore, possessed classmates trying to do ... something ... to her and her friend who totally loses her mind.

And her other friend who loses her ....

Usagi was a crybaby after given the power of the moon princess and a group of superpowered warriors, Yuri was forced into a horrible situation and became a mess of a young girl suffering from PTSD. They don't really compare all that much.

Now that I think of it, why I can't stand Shinji but find Yuri's reaction fine is because her situation was entirely optional or rather, it was for her friends but she was selected class rep against her will. Everyone else in her class is perfectly safe from a fake alien invasion while in Evangelion, everyone dies {or could die?} because Shinji's a wuss.

Yes, he's suffering but so is everyone else!

So yeah, Alien Nine, awesome but the crying's justified. Annoying but justified.

Gentle giants? Number one is Number 16. He's based on the Terminator as if from Mad Max but he's about as dangerous as a fluffy chick ... provided you're not Goku.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
bwuh. How does Lag Seeing not make this list.

... .. . . :<.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

She's a crybaby through sheer, unadulterated and, well, warrented terror.

Oh yes, there's no question that the crying in Alien Nine is 100% justified and the comparison between Otani and Shinji is an interesting one. They're both thrust into situations against their will which would destroy most people psychologically and they both come from families that are dysfunctional to say the least. I suppose I don't dislike Shinji as much as some fans, but I agree that Otani ends up being much more of a sympathetic character. She endures, while Shinji waffles.

In any event, I'm always glad to run across other Alien Nine fans. It's one of the more underrated shows out there.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Predictably(for me) I gotta pick Milly Thompson for my fav "gentle giant" even though she's really just merely tall for a woman.

I have a hard time reconciling the lack of a certain Jacuzzi Splot from the list of crybabies. And what about Photon from The Idiot Adventures?

Last edited by trilaan on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Okay, why is C-ko at the bottom of this list? She literally cries at EVERYTHING. Definitely moreso that either Mikuru Asahina or Sakura Kinomoto.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
lol no lag seeing from tegami bachi? Shinji doesn't even cry much, he's just a whiny little brat that complaints too much
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
And this is why the new Eva 3.0 movie is awesome after seeing Shinji finally take charge and man up at the end of 2.0 the third movie shows the aweful consequence's of taking action rather than avoiding fights. Razz
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised Ren Mihashi from Big Windup was never mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I really like that character as well as the show itself, but it sometimes just gets pretty hilarious whenever the guy gets a mental breakdown.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to think about this list. Although C-ko could cry her eyes out at the drop of a hat,Sakura Avalon (the name the English version gave her) should be grateful that YouTube wasn't in existence at the time her series was on so that Madison's videos of her battles wouldn't be broadcast to the whole world. If the whole planet saw what the poor girl wore while fighting Clow Cards,she'd really have something to cry about outside of the loss of her mother,that is.
Unfortunately for Serena,(Usagi's English dub name) life seems to keep giving her stuff to cry about. The near loss of her friends and would-be sweetheart would be hard for anyone to deal with. As for Shinji,his life also gives him reasons for tears. The loss of his mother,fighting gigantic aliens,dealing with a father who isn't exactly in the running for father of the year,and a lot of other stuff in his life doesn't exactly make him the most confident guy on earth.

Not only that,but the show he's in is one of the gloomiest I've ever seen. If Shinji should be grateful for anything,is that he's still alive and breathing after everything he's been through. A lesser person would have committed suicide after the life he's had. He still has his health and that should count for something.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If characters like Chihaya or on here, then I think Risa koizumi from Lovely Complex should have definitely been mentioned somewhere on this list.

I picked Maggie from ROD as my favorite gentle giant, but I can already guess that Milly will win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
It's not a coincidence that the leads on my two absolute favorite series (Shinji and Madoka) as well as my current favorite simulcast (Chihaya) are featured here. Well-written characters with those vulnerabilities make the series that much more engaging and fascinating.
Este

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Saya Otonashi from Blood+ is the biggest crybaby for my taste. I hated her.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Usagi was my first thought, but that picture you chose was perfect. That was a time she actually needed to cry (getting dumped by Mamoru/Darien) and I remember tearing up when I saw that episode at 12 years old. There's so many crybaby anime characters, I thought this was a good, diverse list!

Animegomaniac wrote:
Gentle giants? Number one is Number 16. He's based on the Terminator as if from Mad Max but he's about as dangerous as a fluffy chick ... provided you're not Goku.

Haha, that's who I thought of as well. Though I'll agree with Splitter that it's hard to choose from who IS on the list
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7