• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rumiko Takahashi's Rumic World Box Set Contents Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
What i would give to have this in English : (
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
What I would give to have this period.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
It's a little freaky seeing the older characters in Takahashi's new super-pointy style. I almost didn't recognize Kyoko without the ginormous hair, button nose and soft rounded lines! I didn't realize that Takahashi's art had changed so much...
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
35 years of androgynous men, sitcom-esque romances where every chapter ends with the main couple arguing, and unsatisfying endings.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
35 years of androgynous men, sitcom-esque romances where every chapter ends with the main couple arguing, and unsatisfying endings.

Clearly you have read very little of her stories. Most of what I have read of hers had very satisfying endings. Not all her stories end like Ranma 1/2.

And Maison Ikkoku has one of the best endings out of all anime/manga.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Clearly you have read very little of her stories. Most of what I have read of hers had very satisfying endings. Not all her stories end like Ranma 1/2.

I am somehow expecting her to drop Rinne (which has been bombing in the tankobon lists) and re-start Ranma 1/2 and hopefully give it a real ending.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I am somehow expecting her to drop Rinne (which has been bombing in the tankobon lists) and re-start Ranma 1/2 and hopefully give it a real ending.

I really doubt Ranma will come back... honestly, my own wish is that Takahashi will do the 'growing up to seinen/josei' thing that so many shonen/shojo mangaka do, and write another seinen or josei series. Maison Ikkoku is by far my favorite work of hers, and One Pound Gospel isn't bad either. But perhaps Shonen Sunday needs to keep her in the lineup.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Rinne was just very uninspiring. I dropped after the first 10 chapters or so. I did like the art, though.

30 years later, and Lum is still her most memorable character. Even though she was the most simple and least developed of all her protagonists. She was just a cute alien princess who somehow learned to love the most perverted man in the universe. Is that so hard to believe? It doesn't sit well with some feminists, but hey, it's just manga

Last edited by Kohii on Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
Gosh the RT can't write endings meme is still going on? I thought it would ebb a little bit when Inuyasha got a tied up ending, but I guess not. But yes, most of her series have pretty resolved endings.

And why would she bring back Ranma 1/2? If she were going to bring back anything I assume it would be Mermaid Forest, since it's not officially finished, but she hasn't done a story for that for almost twenty years so I highly doubt she ever will.

Rinne's lack of success is probably no skin off RT's back. There are still lots of titles in Sunday that do far worse than it, and the woman has had so many successes before it that it's not as if her legacy isn't well cemented by now (plus no doubt she's loaded).

Anyway I'd really like to buy this if it isn't too pricy. An artbook is something I'm especially keen on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1