• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! The Movie Blu-Ray

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Martin "LittleKuriboh" Billany being present? For shaaaaaaaame...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
− Lightweight gag humor and weak plotting continue to be this franchise's downfall.

Weak plotting? Why would you even go into K-On looking for plot? Not everything has to have some great plot to be really good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
No mention of Martin "LittleKuriboh" Billany being present? For shaaaaaaaame...

Oh wow, Bang Zoom! got a hold of him? Shocked

Now I'm curious how this sounded despite it being a small role.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
− Lightweight gag humor and weak plotting continue to be this franchise's downfall.

Weak plotting? Why would you even go into K-On looking for plot? Not everything has to have some great plot to be really good.

I don't think that he was really expecting much of a plot from K-On! He did mention that a few times in the review. He gave it an overall grade of B, which is good. I guess that he is saying that it would be even better if it did have a strong plot. Maybe?

But what really confuses me is the mention of "this franchise's downfall." When did that happen?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead of being a meaningful, coming-of-age experience in a foreign country

What? Why were you? HUH?!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
But what really confuses me is the mention of "this franchise's downfall." When did that happen?

When people tried to read the original source. KyoAni polished a turd basically, it's amazing what they can do with shoddy source material. Kakifly is soooooo lucky.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Touma wrote:

When people tried to read the original source. KyoAni polished a turd basically, it's amazing what they can do with shoddy source material. Kakifly is soooooo lucky.

Uhhh...thats not a response to the question he asked, in fact its almost the exact opposite of what he asked.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
You don't think that's the franchise's downfall? Cancellation of the college years manga and the new light music club manga? That was basically the end. Unless you're saying I somehow misconstrued the question of "When did this franchise's downfall happen".
Actar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, K-On! was never about the destination, but the journey. A window into the lives of 5 girls (and others) as they experience the joys of life together. That's all it ever was and all that it ever needs to be.

I still find it a little bewildering why so many fans have issues with the lack of a more commonly accepted plot structure with this series (or any other Slice of Life series for that matter). Have to wonder if it's a cultural thing.

Also, I don't think it's fair to really judge different genres of shows based on a fixed rubric. For instance, Mr. Bean is a phenomenal comedy series. But I highly doubt it would be considered 'good' by any stretch of the imagination if judged based on 'plot' or 'character development'.

Last edited by Actar on Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Honestly, K-On! was never about the destination, but the journey. A window into the lives of 5 girls (and others) as they experience the joys of life together. That's all it ever was and all that it ever needs to be.

I still find it a little bewildering why so many fans have issues with the lack of a more commonly accepted plot structure with this series (or any other Slice of Life series for that matter). Have to wonder if it's a cultural thing.

I think a big part of it is cultural. When I look at Japanese blogs and forums, I never see any kind of obsession with plot like the West typically has. People care far more about the character development, the attention to detail, evoking feelings about the characters, etc. This is probably why anime is going away from the stuff the West likes.

Like for example, heres a take on the difference in cultures from one of my friends who actually lives in Japan: (Gargantia Ep 5 Spoilers)

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat May 11, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I think a big part of it is cultural. When I look at Japanese blogs and forums, I never see any kind of obsession with plot like the West typically has. People care far more about the character development, the attention to detail, evoking feelings about the characters, etc. This is probably why anime is going away from the stuff the West likes.

Indeed. I've read Azuma Hiroki's work and his theory of Database Consumption pretty much explains why this is the case. Seriously, if anyone is interested as to why Japan is more character-obsessed as opposed to story-obsessed, I strongly urge you to check out his papers.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Indeed. I've read Azuma Hiroki's work and his theory of Database Consumption pretty much explains why this is the case. Seriously, if anyone is interested as to why Japan is more character-obsessed as opposed to story-obsessed, I strongly urge you to check out his papers.

Do you have any links to his work? His research sounds very interesting.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

>Implying that character devlopment isn't a fundamental part of writing in general
>Implying that westeners don't care about detail
>Implying that GOOD WRITING doesn't focus on BOTH characters and plot

Ryan, I know you desperately want to become Japanese but stop fabricating BS out of thin air.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Good writing when you're trying to write a plot focused story, maybe. Good writing doesn't require an intricate plot for a relaxing slice of life show.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

>Implying that character devlopment isn't a fundamental part of writing in general
>Implying that westeners don't care about detail
>Implying that GOOD WRITING doesn't focus on BOTH characters and plot

As I said in my post above, by your criteria, super-popular and well-renown shows like Mr. Bean would be considered garbage... but it's not.

We're not denying that good characters and plot make for good writing. It's the fact that people are applying this judging criteria to almost every other genre of shows. Not to mention, there are a ton of other factors that can contribute to good writing.

I mean, do you look at the Mona Lisa (or Robot Carnival, or whatever) and go, "Oh, there's no plot and zero character development." Garbage. No, you don't, because you cannot go about applying these one set of criteria to everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11