• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magi Sequel Listed as "Opening" This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Hopefully its just a typo, it was bad enough season 1 had the BS it did, but trying to cram that arc into a movie while skipping the spoiler[pirate arc] is just plain stupid.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
fudge them, my poor Magi adaption, damn it, hopefully it is not adapted into a film, or else... There is nothing I can do anyway, curse them!
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
If the "sequel" really does turn out to be a movie, and a movie of a canon story arc of the manga at that, then Aniplex is even dumber than I thought. Seriously, no wonder there was such a dropoff in disc sales after the first couple of volumes of the anime. Can't imagine the fans in Japan would take well to this either.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I heard this the other day.. sounds like a movie instead. It probably makes sense since they've already gone off the tracks so they can make a filler movie.
wootsman

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
then Aniplex is even dumber than I thought. Seriously, no wonder there was such a dropoff in disc sales after the first couple of volumes of the anime. Can't imagine the fans in Japan would take well to this either.

No that was because the volumes were released bimonthly rather than monthly like normal, the show got high ratings.
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping for a 2nd season...quite a lot actually. Especially with how they ended the last episode. But, I'd accept a (filler) movie too (as long as I still get a 2nd season as well!) But I'm the kind of person who enjoys a little side story on occasion.

But I'm probably one of the few people who are actually excited at the possibility of either. But I've never read the manga yet (because I started with the anime first and it's sort of one of my rules to finish an anime first if that's what I start with.) I know that it differed quite a bit from the manga though (I'm quite aware of the changes)...but I'm sort of okay with that. I mean the original FMA did too but I enjoyed it much, much more than I did Brotherhood. I kind of think of anime and the manga their based on as the same, yet separate, entities. I can understand the anger people feel from not having a super accurate adaptation, but I like being able to enjoy 2 slightly different sides of the same tale. I only get annoyed if the manga-ka gets pissed at the adaptation (though that doesn't mean I might not enjoy it...but it does make me feel a bit bad for them that their adaptation upset them so much.) Otherwise, I'm a bit open to adaptations taking slightly different routes, as long as I can still find it enjoyable. I mean, I've had manga I read and loved dearly and then the anime would take a different turn on it...it was a bit annoying, but as different it may be, I can still like it (in a slightly different way of course)...and then I have the manga version and the anime version to enjoy together...yet separately.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm just more aware of what anime movies are being released, but it seems to me in the past couple of years companies have been a lot quicker to jump into releasing anime movies instead of another series.

I can see where it would make sense for them; a movie is a lot less likely to be pirated (until the BD/DVD is released), and even if it is, it would likely be a crappy camrip that anyone that wasn't an ardent fan (and thus assured to still buy the disc) likely wouldn't view.

The problem from my perspective is that anime movies are less likely to ever be legally streamed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
No, you're intuition is correct, there are definitely more anime series continuing in movies than ever before. I say continuing, because recap compilations that aren't new footage which were common back in the day shouldn't count.

The piracy prevention is an inherent benefit of films, and they get to double dip with ticket and then disc sales. There's almost no reason not to go the movie route, unless you begin overcrowding theaters.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, I heard this the other day.. sounds like a movie instead. It probably makes sense since they've already gone off the tracks so they can make a filler movie.

Its not filler though this is a canon story arc that's not even done yet. This can't end well..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1