• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru Manga to Bundle Original Anime DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Yay, more Chihayafuru. I wonder what this OVA will be out. Whatever it is, I hope it'll be good. Karuta always a nice way to kick off the day imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Yay, more Chihayafuru. I wonder what this OVA will be out. Whatever it is, I hope it'll be good. Karuta always a nice way to kick off the day imo.

I'll have to add this to my Amazon wishlist, and decide whether it's worth the extra ¥1000 added to the shipping fee when ordering books. Very likely "yes", but it still deserves a moment of consideration. ^^

I'd still rather have the cancelled HoiHoi-san OAD... ;_;
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

I'll have to add this to my Amazon wishlist, and decide whether it's worth the extra ¥1000 added to the shipping fee when ordering books. Very likely "yes", but it still deserves a moment of consideration. ^^

I'd still rather have the cancelled HoiHoi-san OAD... Anime cry

I don't see it on amazon.co.jp yet. If you see it, please let me know! Can't miss this one...

Volume 21 is up for solicitation however: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4063803899

Guessing where the anime's second season will end is a professional sport now and obviously the OVA will follow it. My guess...

spoiler[The boot camp at the end of book 17/beginning of book 18. Just a guess...]
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I want Chihaya vs Taichi, but doubt it will be it.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

spoiler[I think that happens too late, books 19/20 and will need to wait for season 3. With the pacing of this show so far I don't think there is any chance they'll make it even all the way through book 17.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

spoiler[I think that happens too late, books 19/20 and will need to wait for season 3. With the pacing of this show so far I don't think there is any chance they'll make it even all the way through book 17.]

Will the manga sell enough to even assure a third season?
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hpulley wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-10/japanese-comic-ranking-march-31-april-6
(Look near the bottom as that is the last week it ranked before the Shingeki no Kyojin storm.)

368683 of volume 20 sold, that is the equivalent of selling 35000 discs of the anime which is very good. So if they think the anime is needed to keep the manga sales going then I'd say chances are good. The first season of anime didn't sell very well but we still got a second season. Hopefully the second season will sell better, it is being sold in a pair of Blu-ray boxes, first one is on sale at the end of this month.

368683 isn't quite the 1.2 million+ that Shingeki no Kyojin is selling but for josei manga I think it does very well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Sure it will. Whether or not it gets a 3rd season will depend on if NTV sponsors it again (as it did for the second season) methinks.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Volume 20 was released the week of March 17th and ranked third in sales for that week at about 228,000 copies. It sold another 140,000 copies in the weeks following.

Just from looking at the other sales figures at MAL suggests this is a pretty good performance for the manga, but who knows what it means to the production committee.
shi666san

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
shouldn't it be "22nd volume of Yuki Suetsugu's josei karuta manga to ship with DVD on September 13"?

I know that some may not particularly care about the genre, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
shi666san wrote:
shouldn't it be "22nd volume of Yuki Suetsugu's josei karuta manga to ship with DVD on September 13"?

Interesting question — on one hand, the manga runs in Be-Love, a magazine with josei comics whose core readership Kodansha describes as women in their 30s and 40s. On the other hand, Kodansha gave Chihayafuru the Best Shōjo Manga Award in the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards in 2011.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It certainly feels more like shoujo though the art is a bit more mature but still not really josei IMO either.

Amazon has a listing now but it can't be ordered yet. I have signed up for the email when it can be ordered...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4063584593
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
On the other hand, Kodansha gave Chihayafuru the Best Shōjo Manga Award in the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards in 2011.

Well, the Kodansha "Best Josei Manga Award" as far as I can tell does not exist. So I don't think that says all that much.

EDIT: I also want to point out that notabe josei titles Nodame Cantabile, Kuragehime, and Honey & Clover also won Kodansha's Best Shoujo Manga Award.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Amazon has a listing now but it can't be ordered yet. I have signed up for the email when it can be ordered...

Thanks for the notice. By the time that I clicked on the link, it could be ordered or wishlisted. Yay! ^^
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
hpulley wrote:

Thanks for the notice. By the time that I clicked on the link, it could be ordered or wishlisted. Yay! ^^

I redid my September order and added it as well, yay indeed!

Interesting thing is that the second Bluray box for Season 2 still isn't up for solicitation... wonder how long I'll have to wait for that???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2