• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atelier Meruru Plus Trailer Previews English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JormelKaze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm just going to cross my fingers for a physical release, since that's the easiest way for me to get it.
dago2682

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this is a dual audio release because i don´t like the english dub.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
dago2682 wrote:
I just hope this is a dual audio release because i don´t like the english dub.

Totally agree, the lack of mentioning dual audio does concern me a bit. Totori Plus was dual audio, so I'm really hoping this will be also.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I was like oh is that Akiko Shikata? I pretty sure it...OH god those are some bad voices!
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Really? I haven't had the pleasure of playing Memeru yet. But Rorona and Totori some pretty solid voice work IMO. They really grow on me and since there's a lot of comedy and wacky moments thedub works much better then a sub for me.
Sanazami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
should i buy and play this instead of opening my PS3 version of this?
Temuthril

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I was like oh is that Akiko Shikata? I pretty sure it...OH god those are some bad voices!

Looks like not. Really does sound like her, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28uEMS090I
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
Temuthril wrote:
grooven wrote:

Looks like not. Really does sound like her, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28uEMS090I

It's Mineko Yamamoto singing Cadena, which means chain in Spanish. I translated it, so yeah, I know. -_-;

And yes, those are some bad voices! I'll buy the Japanese version when I get a Vita.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
I've never understood why people hate English dubs in videogames so much, in all honesty.

As someone who's been a fan of anime since the late 80's, I personally have no problem with dubbed anime, and in fact, some dubs like the ones featuring Nabeshin for example, are just as good as their Japanese counterparts, if not better.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
I've never understood why people hate English dubs in videogames so much, in all honesty.

Because sometimes developers force English dub, without allowing to hear the original voices. And not all the wolrd speaks English as their first language. I, for example, Russian. Why should I listen the English dub I do not care about, instead of original voices?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

As someone who's been a fan of anime since the late 80's, I personally have no problem with dubbed anime, and in fact, some dubs like the ones featuring Nabeshin for example, are just as good as their Japanese counterparts, if not better.

As have been said before, its generally bottom of the barrel talent they get for dubs (Only big anime fans and people trying to get a start in the entertainment industry would do niche JRPG dubs), so it almost always comes off sounding cringeworthy. Also, the "Moe" kinda voices that dominate JRPGs now that don't come out right in English... it always sounds like older women trying too hard to sound young and cute. Doesn't help that anime dialogue typically gets translated in corny ways either.

I won't get it if its dub only. I recently bought Atelier Ayesha against my better judgement and got only 10 hours into it before I couldn't stand the partial dub anymore and dropped it... and this is coming from a huge fan of the Arland series. A dub can kill a game that I would otherwise really like.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Also, the "Moe" kinda voices that dominate JRPGs now that don't come out right in English...

Though European-based names sound more appropriate when pronounced in an European manner.

RyanSaotome wrote:

Doesn't help that anime dialogue typically gets translated in corny ways either.

I'm sorry, but anime dialogues are generally corny. Laughing
It's just that people are more comfortable hearing corny lines when it's spoken in a language they're not familiar with, kinda like it makes it one extra step removed from them, so they feel "farther" away from it.
(This works in any language, not just Japanese. Try it on someone who doesn't speak English, for example.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1