• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: The Last of Us

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, I'm so behind on video games, so why you makin me want to play this game so badly?

I normally only skim through video game reviews on this site, but after catching some interesting lines, I ended up reading pretty much every word in here. I'll have to pick this game up eventually.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I finished this game last night. Loved the hell out of it, easily one of the best games I've ever played.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the description means 'secrete our hurt' rather than 'secret our hurt'. Maybe you should fix that. Anime smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I think the description means 'secrete our hurt' rather than 'secret our hurt'. Maybe you should fix that. Anime smile

I thought it was a turn of phrase.
daveriley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I meant "secret" as in "stow away" or "hide."

Looking it up, there is a definition of secrete that means essentially that, but it's a third definition, and using "secrete" would have unwelcome connotations. Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait for the movie adaptation. It seems like Naughty Dog put far more emphasis on the cutscenes, atmosphere, and visuals in general whereas from gameplay I've seen it's mostly crouching around and hitting a button to instantly takedown an infected. For the 2-3 hours I saw, the beginning, seemed extremely linear as well. Doesn't seem like I game that would be fun for me to play.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'll wait for the movie adaptation. It seems like Naughty Dog put far more emphasis on the cutscenes, atmosphere, and visuals in general whereas from gameplay I've seen it's mostly crouching around and hitting a button to instantly takedown an infected. For the 2-3 hours I saw, the beginning, seemed extremely linear as well. Doesn't seem like I game that would be fun for me to play.

Can't say I've had the same experience, I'm 3 hours in and I've had to do a mix of shooting, sneak-attacks, throwing molotovs/bricks/bottles, and close combat. And even if it's linear, there are a few areas you can miss if you're not looking carefully enough and the game's world is detailed enough for me to forgive it.

Atmosphere is extremely important here, it's a survival horror game anytime you're taking on the infected.

Anyway, so far I'm predicting this will be 2nd favorite game of the year after Bioshock Infinite.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
In my 12+ years of gaming, a game has not come along and smacked me around this much. The gameplay is phenomenal, the world is excellent, and the narrative will probably stick with me until the day I die. Just an incredible game all-around.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

The game pretty is still introducing new features in the game for the first few hours so it is pretty linear, but there is enough room later on to give the player a lot of variety in how they wish to tackle the game. An example I would provide would be the room with all the clickers underground, or the first major death scene where there are plenty of humans trying to find you. They both give you the option to fight or flee or mix it up.

I still think the reviewers opinion that combat encounters are too long and stealth is not as effective to be the opposite. Being stealthy in this game is much easier and time efficient than just attacking everything you see. It's quick and easy to stealth kill the humans or just throw the numerous bottles or bricks to distract the humans. Fighting them all the time is probably how encounters become too long as they constantly hide behind cover and move to flank you often.

I save my ammo for clickers and stealth kill or run past most human enemies as they usually have long patrol routes to abuse. Far Cry 3, Dishonered, and Deus Ex Human Revolution made stealth or mixing stealth with combat to be more effective than just pure adrenaline pumping combat sequences and this game follows in that idea. You should never have issues with ammo for those mandatory combat sequences in The Last of Us if one conserves ammo through the use of stealth.

I still think the review captures the story and characters well!
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I saw a live-stream of it last week when the game was leaked out and everyone played it and yeah. It's like Uncharted guys saw Walking Dead and wanted to make a game, but not as polished as Uncharted and with really terrible AI. Also some Bioshock Infinite with 'force annoying female companion" thing. Just more of the same cover based shooting, sadly, with a predictable ending.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Yes, it is very linear and hallway-based, but that's generally what modern shooters are aren't they? Laughing If you like them it should be no different than other crawl-based shooters out there.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:
Also some Bioshock Infinite with 'force annoying female companion" thing.

Seriously, did you even pay attention to the stories in these games? spoiler[Elizabeth and Ellie are really the most important element of the games' two stories. And they're pretty useful gameplay-wise.]
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Man, I really want to play this game, but I'm such a wuss with scary games.
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Seriously, did you even pay attention to the stories in these games? spoiler[Elizabeth and Ellie are really the most important element of the games' two stories. And they're pretty useful gameplay-wise.]

How does this make them any less annoying or forced? There seems to be a trend in western gaming recently where they stick you with a girl to make you care about them and protect them like in Walking Dead or Bioshock but you really just don't care and it comes off as forced.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:
There seems to be a trend in western gaming recently where they stick you with a girl to make you care about them and protect them like in Walking Dead or Bioshock but you really just don't care and it comes off as forced.

Not just Western gaming. Resident Evil 4 did it too, and years ago at that. Though, RE4 is still an amazing game to play. And I'll reserve judgement on this one until I actually play it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3