• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Silver Spoon, Servant x Service Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhere stuck between being somewhat shocked and saying I figured that this would happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well crap. I was pretty interested in checking out Silver Spoon when it came out on DVD here, but with Aniplex getting it, that's probably a no go. Even if they, unbelievably, put it out at a decent price, I'm pretty close to just never buying one of their products regardless due to how expensive they are with most other things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news as both are very likely to come to Crunchyroll.

When Silver Spoon comes to home video, I think that will get a reasonable price filled with extras. But hurray for those two shows being streamed.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful. I always wanted to pay $180 bucks for a show about milking cows. Rolling Eyes Confused
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Not a surprise at all, Aniplex of America picks up pretty much anything notable that Aniplex produces now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll be interested to see what prices these are offered at. It seems clear that AoA is going to be putting out more of Aniplex's product rather than Aniplex using other R1 distribs. I wonder if AoA can maintain its high price policy when it has more product? I guess we'll find out.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe people are already bringing up and complaining about the possible price of the home release of a show that hasn't even started airing yet. Just ugh.

Just glad AoA have picked up Silver Spoon, from the looks of it I wasn't completely sure someone would. Really looking forward to it.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Im more surprised that they picked up Servant × Service, really. That one doesn't seem to have any buzz around it.

I imagine Silver Spoon will get a Blast of Temptest treatment, sub-only dvd at a decent price.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Can't believe people are already bringing up and complaining about the possible price of the home release of a show that hasn't even started airing yet. Just ugh.

Why are you surprised? Their prices are a controversial topic among many anime buyers. It would be far more shocking if nobody brought the topic up considering how central an issue it is with that company.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Why are you surprised? Their prices are a controversial topic among many anime buyers. It would be far more shocking if nobody brought the topic up considering how central an issue it is with that company.

I'm surprised because all they've done is acquire the rights to a home release and streaming. No mention of any pricing in the slightest.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad silver spoon will be streaming. I figured it would (it's really rare for a noitamina title to not get a simulcast plus the name of the creator of FMA is attached to it) but it's nice to see a confirmation. I'm not particularly interested in servant x service but I suppose I'll give it a try. I don't buy a lot of anime on home video and I know people are tired of hearing complaints about aniplex's business model but if the past is any indicator, given the high price point aniplex products have, I don't think I'll be buying Silver Spoon on home video as excited as I am about it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Oh well. At least we'll be able to watch it once or twice
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I'm surprised because all they've done is acquire the rights to a home release and streaming. No mention of any pricing in the slightest.

If there is going to be a home release then there's gonna be a price. That follows the way night follows day. Now, maybe you are thoroughly sick of reading complaints about AoA's prices, but that doesn't mean you should be surprised that it is topic number one with a lot of posters whenever the subject of an AoA home release comes up.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Anytime an Aniplex license is announced, the price complains come up. Those same people also ignore the fact that Aniplex of America also makes their shows available for free streaming on a number of sites. Basically, Aniplex of America challenges their entitled worldview that anime has to be priced towards them rather than Aniplex deciding on a business model that Aniplex believes in, and thus the endless rage towards Aniplex.

I imagine Theron or someone will likely step in the thread soon and declare pricing talk not allowed in this thread. But my speculation on price is that it will be similar to Oreimo or Blast of Tempest: $60 for a sub-only DVD.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Basically, Aniplex of America challenges their entitled worldview that anime has to be priced towards them rather than Aniplex deciding on a business model that Aniplex believes in, and thus the endless rage towards Aniplex.

Or how about that AoA challenges the general price line followed by every other R1 distrib and some anime buyers resent having to pay prices that, in some cases, are 300 per cent higher than any other distrib would charge for a title they really like? Just because that may be a business model that AoA "believes in" why should anime buyers be happy about that? "Gee, my bank makes great profits by charging me high service fees. Hey, it's good for them so who am I to complain!" Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5