• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, that one was fast. Razz

But for the love of God, if it gets dubbed, DO NOT HIRE STEVEN FOSTER TO WRITE OR DIRECT!
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
But for the love of God, if it gets dubbed, DO NOT HIRE STEVEN FOSTER TO WRITE OR DIRECT!

Hopefully they will outsource to Bang Zoom, in which case that wouldn't even be a concern. Not that I really have anything against Steven Foster anyway, but I'd like Sentai to continue their streak of outsourced dubs for franchises with LA or NY dubs. Good for cast consistency and variety.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
CCharmanderK wrote:

Hopefully they will outsource to Bang Zoom, in which case that wouldn't even be a concern.

Agreed. 'Sides, ever since Bandai shut down its anime distribution arm, Bang Zoom has had less and less chances to utilize their high-quality team of actors, writers and directors. FUNimation and Sentai, the two biggest companies on the market, largely work in-house. Viz tends more towards Studiopolis (which, granted, does use a lot of Bang Zoom's talent, but still), and Media Blasters is such a small company that they're basically nonexistent. Only company that currently uses Bang Zoom in any large capacity is Aniplex USA, and they don't dub much anime.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Sentia does have Bang Zoom do a dub since they can get back the original voice actors for Illya and Rin. It would be interesting to see who gets cast as Luvia though.
kotelocl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Me personally, since this isn't a continuation of any of the series already out, but a new alternate universe thing-y, I'd be just find with a new dub cast. If they decide to go for "consistency", hey that's cool. If not, that's cool too.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
All these licensed and still without Dog Days Season 1 and 2 and Zero no Tsukaima Season 1-3? What's the world coming to?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I too would like to hear Bang Zoom return. Though wasn't Stephanie Sheh's character the only one to return for this? If so, she could probably just fly down to Houston. She does work for FUNi (in Dallas-Ft. Worth) all the time.

Though while Viz uses multiple studios, they do use Bang Zoom quite a bit.

The only time Sentai hasn't gotten back Bang Zoom was for Rurouni Kenshin, where they used their horrendously awful Monster Island cast/crew from the movies/OVAs.
They also (very notoriously) didn't get back most of the Slayers cast for Premium. I didn't mind a different Lina for the other movies/OVAs since she's much younger and technically a "different" Lina, but Premium took place in the middle of the TV show (dubbed in New York by CPM and TAJ Productions), and it made no sense for her to have that voice, and the other characters (except Zelgadis) to mysteriously "sound different" for the film. Thank god FUNi (in a rare move) outsourced to NYAV Post for the new seasons.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I hope that Sentia does have Bang Zoom do a dub since they can get back the original voice actors for Illya and Rin. It would be interesting to see who gets cast as Luvia though.

Yeah. They've been good at that so I think there's a good chance.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I too would like to hear Bang Zoom return. Though wasn't Stephanie Sheh's character the only one to return for this? If so, she could probably just fly down to Houston. She does work for FUNi (in Dallas-Ft. Worth) all the time.

Though while Viz uses multiple studios, they do use Bang Zoom quite a bit.

The only time Sentai hasn't gotten back Bang Zoom was for Rurouni Kenshin, where they used their horrendously awful Monster Island cast/crew from the movies/OVAs.
They also (very notoriously) didn't get back most of the Slayers cast for Premium. I didn't mind a different Lina for the other movies/OVAs since she's much younger and technically a "different" Lina, but Premium took place in the middle of the TV show (dubbed in New York by CPM and TAJ Productions), and it made no sense for her to have that voice, and the other characters (except Zelgadis) to mysteriously "sound different" for the film. Thank god FUNi (in a rare move) outsourced to NYAV Post for the new seasons.

Yeah, one of the main reasons I didn't really have nearly as much interest in watching the Slayers movies as the series since I loved the TV cast, I was so glad Funi did the surprising move of getting them back for the new seasons, especially given the age of the old show, which convinced me to buy them.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, Slayers is one of the rare examples of being an old anime where the original cast is still almost entirely active in voice acting. While Gourry's voice is retired NOW, since the role was his first, he felt obliged to return, and says he would do it again. NYAV being bicoastal also allowed Crispin Freeman to return without flying (he's now recorded Zelgadis in three cities: New York, Houston, and Los Angeles). FUNi getting (most of) the Tenchi cast back was even more of a miracle since many of them HAD retired, or were significantly less-active than they were in 1993.

But overall Sentai seems to be better when it comes to bringing back previous casts. FUNi only occasionally does it.

Though I do recommend watching the Slayers movies and OVAs. The singles can be found cheap (used and new) on Amazon (I can even help you find them all if you want). Once you get used to Cynthia Martinez as Lina, they're highly enjoyable (she's the only TV series character to appear in them, other than in Premium). Slayers Premium (which is only 30 minutes long) is the only one that can be painful to listen to, but fortunately, Amelia and Xellos' roles are pretty minor, and Chris Patton does sound a lot like Eric Stuart as Gourry. Of course, Crispin Freeman came back as Zelgadis. This is coming from someone who also loves the Slayers TV series voices (it's probably my ultimate favorite English dub).

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
All these licensed and still without Dog Days Season 1 and 2 and Zero no Tsukaima Season 1-3? What's the world coming to?

The only possible explanation for Dog Days not getting licensed I can see is that it's closely related to Nanoha in terms of people who worked on it...and american licensors have a violent aversion to anything Nanoha-related.

It's dumb as hell in my opinion but sigh.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Hopefully they will outsource to Bang Zoom, in which case that wouldn't even be a concern. Not that I really have anything against Steven Foster anyway, but I'd like Sentai to continue their streak of outsourced dubs for franchises with LA or NY dubs. Good for cast consistency and variety.

I'd actually like to see Sentai start outsourcing more original properties to Bang Zoom, but that's neither here nor there.

AbZeroNow wrote:

Agreed wholeheartedly. Mela Lee as Rin and Stephanie Sheh as Illya, or I'm not buying.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope next title they get is Carnival Phantasm. I first thought it never would make it, but seeing Fate/Kaleid is, now my hopes have been risen.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Well, I hope next title they get is Carnival Phantasm. I first thought it never would make it, but seeing Fate/Kaleid is, now my hopes have been risen.

You read my mind.
I want to see Carnival Phantasm too.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
so magical illya get license only we need now is dub with bring in mela & sheh do their characters again.

& if somehow have saber look-alike on it yep what odds re-cast saber voice again?!

with IF Carnival Phantasm get dub indeed you're next to be license-dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2