• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigger Adds Stretch Goals For Little Witch Academia 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Blu-ray release will bundle the anime's original soundtrack and gengashū (animation drawing collection) book.

Specifically, the LIMITED Edition of the Bluray will have these.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Giant of Geeks blinked at the flashing images of the Little Witches on the screen, a crooked smile broke on his face as a "Yeesss" hissed out between his lips. He reached for his Big Bag of Gold...

For The Record, I am a contributor to this Kickstarter.

I think Trigger was genuinely surprised by this result. They are a small company, in a small industry, so it will take time to make something out of what has been gathered so far. Fortunately, we are pretty patient and used to really good things taking time.

Mark Gosdin
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
So for an additional $150,000, Trigger is only throwing a commentary track, a making of doc and *maybe* a figure? Seems kinda chintzy to me. Both the commentary track and making of doc would cost peanuts to produce - nowhere near $150,000. If the original goal to produce another episode was $150,000 then to me, if they hit $500,000 they should be making three new eppies with a run time of 25-ish minutes each.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
I think they were incredibly surprised by the overwhelming response and are still kinda reeling from it. This was from a recent update I received
Kickstarter Project Update #5 wrote:
Project Update #5: Message from Otsuka Masahiko
Posted by Studio TRIGGER
Greetings! Again, a big thank you to all of our supporters! We definitely did not expect to achieve the goal in just one day. We were even skeptical of reaching our first goal within 30 days. We did not want to make our supporters wait, and we feel that we were short on explanation with our first stretch goal.
Although we did explain that it is difficult to extend the episode length past 40 minutes for Little Witch Academia 2, that does not mean we plan to end it with just this episode! We too are aspiring for a TV series and a full length film! However, it will take many years to reach this goal. We want to see Akko and her friends move in full action, and explore further into their world. Can't we all agree on that? Our first goal is to produce a 40 minute episode of LWA2. After that, we want to aim for furth er goal such as a television series or a full length film!...

One step at a time seems to be where they're headed with this. And that's fine by me. I got so much incredible stuff to read and view that it's just beyond ridiculous at this point. So I can bide my time, and wait for whatever the result.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So for an additional $150,000, Trigger is only throwing a commentary track, a making of doc and *maybe* a figure? Seems kinda chintzy to me. Both the commentary track and making of doc would cost peanuts to produce - nowhere near $150,000. If the original goal to produce another episode was $150,000 then to me, if they hit $500,000 they should be making three new eppies with a run time of 25-ish minutes each.

The original US$150,000 goal was to extend the 20-minute episode by another 15 minutes.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

The original US$150,000 goal was to extend the 20-minute episode by another 15 minutes.

Extend the original episode, or did they already have funds for another episode and wanted to extend that?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, my understanding was that the original goal was $150,000 to produce a 25-minute OVA but because so much cash poured in, they are able to extend it to a 40-minute OVA instead. My point is if $150,000 was sufficient for a 25-minute OVA then why isn't $500,000 sufficient for three 25-minute OVAs instead of one 40-minute OVA with commentary track and a making of doc.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, my understanding was that the original goal was $150,000 to produce a 25-minute OVA but because so much cash poured in, they are able to extend it to a 40-minute OVA instead. My point is if $150,000 was sufficient for a 25-minute OVA then why isn't $500,000 sufficient for three 25-minute OVAs instead of one 40-minute OVA with commentary track and a making of doc.

From the Project summary:
Quote:
the episode is currently planned to be about 20 minutes long, but we've come to Kickstarter in the hopes that we can make it even longer and better with your help! With your support, we want to increase the length of the episode by 15 minutes and make an amazing sequel that fans will be proud of! In order to accomplish this, we're hoping to raise $150,000 with this Kickstarter project.

and this:
Quote:
Funding Usage:

Increasing the total episode length of Little Witch Academia 2.
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
While on the surface it seems a bit cheap, they're currently busy with things like Kill la Kill and other projects that would suffer if they just went ahead and made Little Witch Academia 2. Trigger wasn't expecting this kind of success and they're trying to figure out what works best. Another thing to remember is that the larger this thing gets, the more money Trigger is going to have to spend on all of those rewards. While as much as I want them to keep making more Academia, there's still a bunch of stuff on their plate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
@ HeeroTX - thanks for that, it clears things up. But my other point still stands in that contributors don't seem to be getting much more for their money considering that right now the project is $200,000 past its original goal and will be $350,000 past the original mark if the new stretch goal is reached.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
I think they were incredibly surprised by the overwhelming response and are still kinda reeling from it. This was from a recent update I received
Kickstarter Project Update #5 wrote:
Project Update #5: Message from Otsuka Masahiko
Posted by Studio TRIGGER
Greetings! Again, a big thank you to all of our supporters! We definitely did not expect to achieve the goal in just one day. We were even skeptical of reaching our first goal within 30 days. We did not want to make our supporters wait, and we feel that we were short on explanation with our first stretch goal.
Although we did explain that it is difficult to extend the episode length past 40 minutes for Little Witch Academia 2, that does not mean we plan to end it with just this episode! We too are aspiring for a TV series and a full length film! However, it will take many years to reach this goal. We want to see Akko and her friends move in full action, and explore further into their world. Can't we all agree on that? Our first goal is to produce a 40 minute episode of LWA2. After that, we want to aim for furth er goal such as a television series or a full length film!...

One step at a time seems to be where they're headed with this. And that's fine by me. I got so much incredible stuff to read and view that it's just beyond ridiculous at this point. So I can bide my time, and wait for whatever the result.

Yeah, in the previous update it sounded like it was simply going to end here, due to production schedules with Kill la Kill, etc.

I'm glad he clarified that it certainly isn't over, just that it will take a while. In addition, he addressed some of the questions about the $$
Quote:
We would also like to remind everyone that not all of the Kickstarter funding will be spent on the actual production of the episode. In order to thank our supporters we must also make the rewards, actually be "rewarding." To avoid a deficit, we must carefully plan out how we spend the funded money. For example, we are currently experiencing difficulties with the production of Little Witch Academia Blu-Ray. I guess we are not so talented in doing business as we are in making animations.

Many of our animators are big fans of anime as well, and they tend to do more than what they are rewarded for. They continue to work until they are satisfied with their work. We feel that it would not hurt to have our animators rewarded just a little bit more.

WRT the Good Smile figure, especially for those who haven't pledged, let me repost what I mentioned in the other thread:

However, I think the Good Smile figure is more than just a possibility. I think the reason why the top reward includes a visit to Good Smile is because when you pledge, you'll see who you're actually paying:
Quote:
Greetings from Amazon Payments,

We have received your Jul 9, 2013 authorization to let Kickstarter, Inc., Good Smile Company, Inc charge you. Details of this transaction are below:

Authorization summary:
---------------------
Recipient: Kickstarter, Inc., Good Smile Company, Inc
< . . . >

I guess they don't want to be on paper as committed before the goal is reached, but that is unwise. They really should commit now and come right out and mention it else they may have a hard time reaching that goal.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
...I guess they don't want to be on paper as committed before the goal is reached, but that is unwise. They really should commit now and come right out and mention it else they may have a hard time reaching that goal.

If they didn't have that other project I would agree, but it really seems like they have their plate full and then some. The biggest concern being the production time window versus what they are able to produce with their current staff.

They've already said, in so many words, "they don't want the fans to wait any longer than they have to and that going further would require more time..."

But... if this does make it to the Good Smile figure rewards level I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

If it doesn't? Well, it was just icing on the cake to begin with. So no big deal. And I say that as someone that has recently been bitten hard by the Nendo and Nendo petits like crazy of late.

Sure it would be sweet, and yeah I was surprised to see the GoodSmile name when I checked out, but that was never a reason for me to back this. I signed on for the animation, the style, and that whole "Gainax meets Tweeny Witches" vibe to it all.
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

That's what I thought too when I first read the stretch goal. They are asking for an additional $350,000.00 for
Audio commentary
Making of LWA2 documentary
Original sound track
Gengasyu (line art collection book)
May be a figure if the $500K stretch goal is met.

I said in another thread and I'll say it here too that’s a lot of money considering other companies have done these things for less. However, it appears most do not mind and that is surprising. I have only seen a couple of their backers question why it takes an additional $350K just for that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Maybe they should use those extra stretch goals to separate the project into separate episodes. That way, they could keep adding minutes to the project without the supporters having to be kept waiting too long to see it. Then at the end, aggregate all the eps into a film or OAV bundle.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
They didn't want to overdo it like one of the other Kick-Heart projects:
"In our euphoria, we extended the show by 1 hour and it wasn't enough..."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4