• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hear Hatsune Miku V3 Sing in English

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevelinu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm I don't know, I think it's a good thing that english speaking producers now have a way to express themselves with Vocaloid more, but to me personal, Miku and Vocaloid in general has always been Japanese and I just can't enjoy Vocaloid like this very much.
I just hope that the many great Japanese producers stick to the original version and don't try to make weird english songs Anime hyper
Well, probably I am just very biased, but what do you think?
Will the Japanese producers stick to the Japanese version?
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:
Hmm I don't know, I think it's a good thing that english speaking producers now have a way to express themselves with Vocaloid more, but to me personal, Miku and Vocaloid in general has always been Japanese and I just can't enjoy Vocaloid like this very much.
I just hope that the many great Japanese producers stick to the original version and don't try to make weird english songs Anime hyper

Pretty sure this is meant for English-speaking users. That was the whole point of this release.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Well everything sung was understandable by this Old Okie English speaker.

Since being clearly understandable is a problem with live performances (regardless of language ) I think the vocaloid software programmers have done their job quite well.

The voice is both Miku's well known digitialized sound AND distinctly Japanese accented English. How useful to English speaking producers that will be is the question.

Mark Gosdin
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
Interesting. My complete disinterest in virtual idol singers is apparently multilingual.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:

That's like saying JLO has always been "Puerto Rican" and her singing in English is a betrayal. Or saying Utada has "always been Japanese" even though she was born and raised in the States and for her to sing in English should not be forced, because it's her language. Just because someone sings in another language first, does not mean they cannot sing in another. While English language music sells relatively well in Japan, Japanese language obviously sells much better. And why wouldn't it? It's Japan and everyone speaks Japanese. Likewise, unless you're a Spanish language song, don't expect to outsell an English language album/song. Most people take note of songs in their own language. Even MJ cannot outsell Utada in Japan.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
I had no problem understanding every single word in that demo song. I'm having a feeling that Miku's English debut will be an exciting moment to experience...
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:

Yes, the majority of the Japanese producers will stick to the Japanese version.

Just imagine that Hatsune Miku is a Japanese girl who's singing English songs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
Why's T-Pain sound so girly?! Very Happy

Can't wait for T-Pain covers by Miku. Imagine him using this on his next song co-op: T-Pain feat. Hatsune Miku!
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:

The very first vocaloids (Leon and Lola) were in English and there are currently 10 vocaloids that are marketed to the English market (13 if you count Luka, Kaito and Gumi's English banks) prior to 'Miku English'

The problem is that English vocaloids and producers don't get enough publicity because alot of people don't know they exist (compared to Miku anyway)

While I don't think Miku's English is as good as some of the Engloids or even Gumi English - I do hope she'll sell enough to new English users so that we can have more new well-made English vocaloid songs.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wow! Shocked Its improving. Very Happy
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Gotta say that was a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting it to not sound like Miku but it did. I was also expecting it to be hard to understand but it wasn't. I can't wait till this thing gets out and about to see what people come up with.

Also can't wait for the first english cover of "The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku". That should be fun. Very Happy
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Just like the Japanese release it will be all on the creativity of the music producers to really work with it and make it sound great.

Some Miku songs sound like a 1980s robot singing a song, and others sound like a real person. It really depends on who is controlling the keyboard.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
The problem is that English vocaloids and producers don't get enough publicity because alot of people don't know they exist (compared to Miku anyway)

Plus, on top of that, some of the people that do know of the English-native Vocaloids' existence end up shying away from them because their voices are notorious for being low-quality and hard to manage.

Quote:
...I don't think Miku's English is as good as some of the Engloids or even Gumi English...

Well, this is where I beg to differ. I often had a really hard time trying to understand what the English-native Vocaloids were saying and with Gumi, her problems with vowel transitions distorts the pronunciation of some words. At least with Miku, her words within this demo are clear to the point that I didn't have to use the subtitles.
Kevelinu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Kevelinu wrote:

That's like saying JLO has always been "Puerto Rican" and her singing in English is a betrayal. Or saying Utada has "always been Japanese" even though she was born and raised in the States and for her to sing in English should not be forced, because it's her language. Just because someone sings in another language first, does not mean they cannot sing in another. While English language music sells relatively well in Japan, Japanese language obviously sells much better. And why wouldn't it? It's Japan and everyone speaks Japanese. Likewise, unless you're a Spanish language song, don't expect to outsell an English language album/song. Most people take note of songs in their own language. Even MJ cannot outsell Utada in Japan.

Why even bother arguing against what I was saying, my point is just that I have always been listening to Japanese Miku forever so I am used to it and I don't like it in english that much.
That is just a matter of my personal opinion, please just accept it. I didn't try to "review" the English Miku or anything.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
To be honest it sounds better then I thought it would. I like that it sounds like someone speaking with a accent and not just plain English. That said I still prefer the Japanese. Something about it just sounds better to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2