• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I just don't understand why the main character likes her, given that she killed his father and cooked and ate his corpse. And this guy still likes her and holds no ill-feelings towards her; Inigo Montoya he is not.

This is baffling me as well. I'm assuming we'll eventually get some insight into this other than he's just really easy-going. I'm also curious about why Benten and the Friday Fellows are so cavalier about eating tanuki when they know they are highly sentient/magical creatures.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

"spoiler[True forbearance is tolerating the intolerable!]"
"spoiler[You're going to hell]!" Laughing

While it was awesome that spoiler[they fought back, things don't look too good for him]. Even though spoiler[Benten obviously planned the entire thing].
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesome fireworks battle, but I am concerned that nothing much is really happening plot-wise. The whole episode was essentially repeating what we already knew about the father (just with more detail) and the dude losing the fan.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Even though spoiler[Benten obviously planned the entire thing].

I don't see how spoiler[Benten planned it in that level of detail; how did she know he would definitely lose the fan? What if he had held onto it?]

Gina Szanboti wrote:
They seem to have a sort of fatalist attitude toward ending up in a hotpot, as well as using it as a sort of boogieman threat to children to make them behave. So maybe if they see it as their fate anyway, there's no reason to go into vengeance mode every time it happens?

I kinda get what you're saying. They don't really think highly of themselves, constantly referring to themselves as idiots, and they do think of hotpots as being all-too-common a fate. But the fact that the main character ran away makes me think that they don't accept hotpots if they can help it. And they did love their father a heck of a lot, so surely there would be some anger that they lost a loved-one to being eaten. I mean, tanuki are not human but they are sapient.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Well, of course they wouldn't accept it if they can avoid it - even animals try to avoid death. But no living thing can.

How angry you get about it depends on how someone died, and we don't really know how their father died yet. I'm not even completely convinced that the hot pot thing isn't just a metaphor or a saying, like, "If you cross me, I'm gonna skin you alive!" or "He's gonna have my head for that." People have skinned people alive and still decapitate them, but we don't usually mean it literally when we threaten it nowadays. It could even be their way of saying he went to the Great Hotpot in the Sky. Smile Maybe they did actually eat him, but I need more evidence at this point.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
^
They did say that he was actually eaten by the Friday Fellows who have also eaten other tanuki, so it does seem like tanuki are eaten in hotpots. However, you are correct in that we don't know how he died, he may have died from other causes first and then his corpse was cooked and eaten. I'm willing to give the series the benefit of the doubt as long as it addresses the matter at some point.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Port wine in the kettle to power their house-ship]; I'm glad that the house could join in the partying too, at least before spoiler[it crashed].

"When someone tells us to transform, we stop transforming."
"Being able to sleep all day; tanuki life sure is grand."
"We tanuki do things flamboyantly."

So tanuki are the polar opposite of stereotypes about Japanese life?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ohh good episode first lets see how great layouts are.
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-04-17h50m12s168_zps3a49c2eb.png.html
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-04-17h50m58s213_zps382d7a7f.png.html
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-04-17h51m45s166_zpsad654f43.png.html
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-04-17h51m59s47_zpsbda46054.png.html
This show show also features amazing coloring and decent animation.
This episode was full interesting and very weird character interaction.
spoiler[We know that members of Friday Club ate Yasaburos dad,but Yasaburo simply accepts that fact like it is something that MUST happen to certain tanukis and he cant do anything against it.The beginning of the episode seemed to indicate that tanukis are killed in order to be reminded of who actually is on top of food chain.The members of Friday Club are also not what I expected. I was thinking that they are going to be antagonists but they are all chill dudes.Most of them dont even like tanuki,but they eat them because it is inherited tradition and if they were to abandon it they would get kicked out of the club(expect for one dude who is insane I guess). Again all of the things that I have mentioned in this episode,fit theory I made couple of pages back,how the show is about inherited obligations that hurt you,but these obligations are still there because now you belong to a certain group of people(this sort of reminds me of protagonist from Tatami Galaxy that a lot times sacrifices his interests so he can be a part of certain group). I now have an idea of what the ending might be ,Yasaburo gets put in hot pot and then he rips it all a part and says "Screw this stuff" then he gets married to Benten.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
most human foods don't fight back. If all of the them fight back, we will have no food to eat.

We killed those whom fought back(extinction) and keep those who don't fight back alive for food.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok, now I'm convinced it's not a metaphor. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Yasuboro's relationship is all sorts of messed up. But if he just avoided her, we wouldn't have much of a show.spoiler[I'm pretty sure the rest of the Friday Fellows don't believe tanuki are sentient shapeshifters. They thought Yasuboro's transformations were a trick, and that one guy's story about saving Yasuboro's mom and seeing recognition in her eyes fell on deaf ears. The flashback was absolutely adorable, though.

Question of the week: why does Ginkaku and Kinkaku's sister stay hidden? I think it's because she's afraid of being eaten, but maybe she's just shy...?

She was wrong about Yasuboro. Guy has a lot of guts to attend a party with a bunch of guys who might eat him!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

They were pretty chill, although some of the reasons seem pretty messed up. I wonder if they only thought he was a tanuki because they were drunk, and have no idea how smart they are.

I am interested in the ex-fiancé, her shyness, yet the fact she still talks to him interests me.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
Tanuki might be sentinent and smart but also tasty?Wink

To me it seems like the tanuki consider getting eaten pretty much the same as we might consider getting run over by a car: it's not exactly a natural death and they try to avoid it, but if it happens it's ah fate they need to accept.

Tanuki hotpot or not, it's still one of my favourite shows this season.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
So, I'm caught up to episode 6 now, and I'm really liking this series. Having recently visited Kyoto in May, several of the sites in the show are still fresh and recognizable. I love the folklore that's added to the show. The zen buddhism that really made itself prominent in the latest episode was also an interesting exercise, because some of the beliefs are so foreign and yet make sense in their own way.

I still wouldn't want to be eaten alive no matter what though.

So, I finally went and looked up the name Kaguya (Benten's human name), and I read up an interesting story about Kaguya-hime and The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. Most interesting was the following paragraph (which reflects the ending of episode 6 with Benten crying to the moon):

Quote:
That summer, whenever Kaguya-hime saw the full moon, her eyes filled with tears. Though her adoptive parents worried greatly and questioned her, she was unable to tell them what was wrong. Her behaviour became increasingly erratic until she revealed that she was not of this world and must return to her people on the Moon. In some versions of this tale, it is said that she was sent to the Earth as a temporary punishment for some crime, while others say it was for safety during a celestial war, and that all of the gold that Taketori no Okina had been finding had in fact been a stipend that had been sent down to pay for Kaguya-hime's upkeep.

I think this might give insight to Benten's feelings - not feeling like a part of any world despite being a part of all three (born a human, raised a tengu, friends with tanuki whose father she ate). I think she just puts on airs that she doesn't give a shit to hide how lonely she feels.

If the series is actually referencing the story of Kagura-hime, I wonder if the series is going to play it straight where she's actually a person from the moon (as in the story) or whether it is just referencing the story to give insight to Benten's character.

I am interested to see what's going on with Yasaburo's father and why he spoiler[shut up when Benten woke up (in the memory). It seems like he didn't want her to know that he was Yasaburo's father. In which case, she didn't even realize her betrayal when it occurred.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:

I still wouldn't want to be eaten alive no matter what though.

To be fair, they don't get eaten alive, but are cooked properly. Wink

willag wrote:

So, I finally went and looked up the name Kaguya (Benten's human name), and I read up an interesting story about Kaguya-hime and The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. Most interesting was the following paragraph (which reflects the ending of episode 6 with Benten crying to the moon):

That's pretty interesting! I am familiar with the story of Kaguya-hime but didn't really make the connection.

Loved this episode. It was nice to see a bit of Benten's backstory, find out more about Yasaburo's father and Yasaburo's conflicting emotions. I also really enjoyed his interaction with the professor.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Somebody needs to tell professor that when he dies he will definitely get eaten by worms.He would be very happy to hear that.
Yasaburō's father is very strange figure but in this episode there were some revelations about the nature of tanuki through him.It would seem that they live only to breed and raise young ones,after doing that they simply stop carrying whether they live or die,they dont desire for more.I like how the show kept some animalistic qualities of tanuki whilst infusing them with magical ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11