• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Xillia's English Launch Trailer Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, I am 3 hours in and this game has pretty awful english dub Sad
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sigh, I am 3 hours in and this game has pretty awful english dub

1. I'm certain that's not the case.
2. Your own english is pretty bad, so you really shouldn't be speaking. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, wasn't Xillia supposed to be released on the 8th? Confused

Ah well, guess it's time to pick up my copy.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Quote:
Sigh, I am 3 hours in and this game has pretty awful english dub

1. I'm certain that's not the case.
2. Your own english is pretty bad, so you really shouldn't be speaking. Rolling Eyes

Ah well, guess it's time to pick up my copy.

If you dont have the game yet nor have played it, you cannot be certain of anything. For me its awful and that is certain. Pretty bland voice work, as terrible as the dub from Tales of Graces F. Milla is not Milla without Miyuki Sawashiro voicing her. The same goes for the other characters as well.

The western world is screwed up with only select Tales games being localized, no dual audio and low quality voice work for the english dub. The only acceptable-good Tales dub this gen for me has been Vesperia.

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Sigh, I am 3 hours in and this game has pretty awful english dub Sad

The only that I can see being 'bad' is Milla's but after a while, it's grown on me. (Still not great nor terrible like I had with Vanille from FFXIII)

She doesn't have much credit (according to Wikipedia) so I'm hoping she does improve for 2.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

6th for North America, 9th for Europe.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Milla is not Milla without Miyuki Sawashiro voicing her. Sad The same goes for the other characters as well. The only acceptable Tales dud this gen for me has been Vesperia.

I thought the dub in Tales of Graces f was pretty good (especially Pascal: Haruhi's VA was full of win).

Of course, there are some people who simply dislike dubs to the point where it is nearly impossible to please them. I suppose I'll find out soon enough when I get Tales of Xillia.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Milla's voice sucks and the dub sounds kind of subpar compared to Abyss and Vesperia.

Also the game kind of looks ugly. I get that it's not really new, but even Vesperia looked so much better. Here so far the environments are rather bland and boring.

Seems kind of mediocre so far.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

The only that I can see being 'bad' is Milla's but after a while, it's grown on me. (Still not great nor terrible like I had with Vanille from FFXIII)

Milla is the worst voice work in the game so far. Jude is no different. Both pretty bland, other characters are ok, but darn at least give us(me) quality voices for the protagonists!, I mean, in the Japanese version I have Sawashiro and then I have ...this...

I have played Xillia in Japanese, so I am extra harsh here, I indeed favor original dubs, but have no problem recognizing a decent-good job, definitely not in Xillia. Vesperia's was good really.

Guess having being exposed to both I can more easily notice the bad by comparing the Japanese/eng voice work.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been hearing so many bad things about Millia's voice... I'm sure the whole time I'm playing I'll be wishing it was Miyuki Sawashiro instead. Sigh, this is why dual audio is such an important part of the localization process.

I really hope we at least get some of the anime DLC...

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure the whole time I'm playing I'll be wishing it was Miyuki Sawashiro instead.

Sawashiro is overrated. There are better female voice actors. And I'm talking about both English AND Japanese. Sayaka Ohara, Luci Christian, Yukari Tamura, Laura Bailey, Mai Nakahara, Kate Higgins.
Besides, Miyuki is in everything. I like variety in my voice casts.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm about 10 hours in (just beat the 3rd boss and am about to enter the town after that) and I don't have any problems with the voice acting. I prefer Japanese audio whenever possible, but I've always found the Tales games to have pretty solid dubs and this one is no exception.

Other than not being Sawashiro, Milla's voice is perfectly fine.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'm 6 hours into it and I have no issues with the voice acting or graphics; and I'm really liking the game. I've actually have no problem with any Tales series dub even though I hear other people complain about it all the time. I've played several in both language and I've really yet to see what the real complaint is about. The English voices are not going to sound like the Japanese voices without the same actor doing the voice.

If you want the Japanese voice, go get the Japanese import of the game. It takes up a lot of room to keep both languages in the disk especially with all the game coding; I don't see how hard it is to understand that it takes room on a disk to have both languages not to mention that writing a phrase in English takes up more text characters (thus more data space is used up on the disc) than the Japanese characters.

The only reason we're getting Symphonia dual-language is because of how old it is and the fact that its going from smaller-sized media to a massively larger sized media; otherwise, we'd still get no-dual language.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
I always figured the lack of dual audio was because it would cost extra to use the original Japanese, I mean its hard to believe that with Blu-ray they wouldn't have enough room for both language tracks.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
It takes up a lot of room to keep both languages in the disk especially with all the game coding; I don't see how hard it is to understand that it takes room on a disk to have both languages not to mention that writing a phrase in English takes up more text characters (thus more data space is used up on the disc) than the Japanese characters.

The only reason we're getting Symphonia dual-language is because of how old it is and the fact that its going from smaller-sized media to a massively larger sized media; otherwise, we'd still get no-dual language.

Disc space is not the reason we don't get dual audio. They could fit all of both audio tracks on there if they wanted to.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
So sure? Have you ever looked at the data size of a fan-patched game? I just checked one of the older ones that I have on my pc and the original Japanese version of the game I checked is 3/4 the size of the fan-translation; and this a game without voice-overs. I'll pop into my pc both the English and Japanese "Tales of Destiny" later on tonight (and for curiosity sakes, both my copies of Vepseria, though the PS3 had more content) and let you know of the official on-disk data amount, but I'm off to play Xillia right now.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Don't feed the troll, kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2