• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Suspect Suicide in Ramen Fighter Miki Creator Jun Sadogawa's Passing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clipeuh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
I first heard of Ramen Fighter Miki while looking for cheap DVDs to try out. It ended up being a nice surprise, it was just a classic slapstick anime comedy but a really well made one.

I wish I could've seen more of his work. Depression coupled with the mangaka lifestyle seems like it would become a ticking time bomb. It's sad that he couldn't find help. Sad
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
This is sad and unfortunate to hear. Crying or Very sad I hope they find out and explain the reason what the motive for him to commit suicide. Did Sadogawa had any problem lately, did he have any sign of depression? Did he attempt to commit suicide before in the past?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
Just looked up Amane Atatameru and apparently one of it's plots was where the main character convinces a man not to commit suicide sad to think might've actually been writing about himself but he didn't end up overcoming his suicidal thoughts in the end. Of course real life isn't the same as manga, you can't just resolve someones issues like this in one fell swoop.
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
34 and having a series going on, I wish we learn why he did it~. Confused
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Just looked up Amane Atatameru and apparently one of it's plots was where the main character convinces a man not to commit suicide sad to think might've actually been writing about himself but he didn't end up overcoming his suicidal thoughts in the end. Of course real life isn't the same as manga, you can't just resolve someones issues like this in one fell swoop.

So looks like Sadogawa had a history of suicidal thought, OK, that sounds like something was wrong with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Sadogawa's indentity was confirmed by his driver's license....

"Identity".......... unless that's some sort of social commentary.

Manga is tough business. RIP
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Years and years ago I watched and even read Ramen Fighter Miki. This is very sad news and I sincerely wish my condolences on his family.

But let's not bicker about personal issues, the poor man is dead and definitely had issues. I think what was said was meant to be a joke, although potentially poorly timed.

This man was still fairly young as well. Rest in peace Jun Sadogawa.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
thats just sad news...... I know manga is a tough business but I hate seeing older generation artists kick the bucket in such a way. Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
That's sad if true. The concept of taking your own life is totally alien to me, personally. Sad

Some of the things about this sound a little suspicious to me though. Confused
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Somebody knows in what chapter of Amane Atatameru is the story about the attempted suicide?
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Too bad he didn't leave a suicide note. I would like to know why a successful mangaka would all of a sudden opt out.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Japan's skyrocketing suicide rate, this is a dark & tragic event for the anime/manga community.
cche7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Deepest condolences to his family and friends for their loss Sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Sad news to such a young creator, but I can't help but think with the Shinto-Buddhist belief in rebirth after death, he might have simply felt his life just wasn't going the way he had planned and it was a case of "close this world, open the next." Sadder still is the pain and guilt his surviving family will be feeling that they might have done something better to save him from himself. Condolences to them.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the Ramen Fighter Miki anime, so it's disheartening to hear that the original author passed away, especially of his own accord. Condolences to his family and friends, and rest in peace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2