• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin Live-Action Still Coming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the mention Smile .

For the record, I would like to point out that while it is unlikely it is possible that these articles are referencing older information when it was first announced that Molen acquired the rights for the adaptation. Lack of new details seems to strengthen this suspicion.

Gerard Molen connection makes many think of Spielberg and indeed he would be great choice, not to mention he would bring class, attention to detail and production values that a Lupin movie deserves. However, it is extremely unlikely that he would direct seeing as how he is currently involved with at least three projects, not the least of which is "Indiana Jones 4". Still, what a follow-up to "Indy" a "Lupin" movie would make...

In reality, most likely what we are looking at is a realtively inexpensive attempt to start a franchise. I sincerely hope that whatever they are working on is not an adaption "Castle of Cagliostro". Yet, chances are this movie will never make it out of the "development hell"...

However in the unlikely case it gets made - here are my thoughts on the cast. My opinion is that Chris Evans would make a great Lupin. Ethan Hawke would be a reasonable choice too. It's also possible to go in a different direction and find a charismatic French actor for the part. If he was younger, Alain Delon would be a perfect Lupin.

Johnny Depp might make a decent Jigen.

I see Mia Kirshner as Fujiko.

I also believe that Takeshi Kitano was born to play Zenigata. Just imagine him in a trenchcoat and you will see exactly what I mean.

Last edited by Proman on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Live-action Lupin III?!

But there's already a flawless adaptation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
Proman: I think Spielberg would probably screw it up like he did with Hook, A.I. and War of the Worlds. Robert Rodriguez or Brett Ratner[See After the Sunset, if you don't believe me.] would be my pick. Also, Jigen would be better played by Benicio Del Toro than Depp. If you mean Chris Evans from The Fantastic Four for Lupin, he's a little young for the part. I'd have cast a younger Warren Beatty for Lupin, but I guess we'll have to settle for Jim Carrey. Mia Kirshner is lacking in the seduction department. The easy choice for Fujiko is Elizabeth Hurley. Kitano's a little too stiff to pull off Zenigata. I'd opt for Ken Watanabe. Goemon's gotta be Tadanobu Asano, though.

penguintruth: The 70's live-action Lupin was actually a pretty fun adaptation. All this time, I'd been prepared for it to be a bastardization like History of Violence or V for Vendetta, but it's actually fairly close to the source material. At least it looks more entertaining than that French remake.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
penguintruth: The 70's live-action Lupin was actually a pretty fun adaptation. All this time, I'd been prepared for it to be a bastardization like History of Violence or V for Vendetta, but it's actually fairly close to the source material. At least it looks more entertaining than that French remake.

It sort of falls apart towards the end, but I agree, it is a really fun movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: I think Spielberg would probably screw it up like he did with Hook, A.I. and War of the Worlds. Robert Rodriguez or Brett Ratner[See After the Sunset, if you don't believe me.] would be my pick. Also, Jigen would be better played by Benicio Del Toro than Depp. If you mean Chris Evans from The Fantastic Four for Lupin, he's a little young for the part. I'd have cast a younger Warren Beatty for Lupin, but I guess we'll have to settle for Jim Carrey. Mia Kirshner is lacking in the seduction department. The easy choice for Fujiko is Elizabeth Hurley. Kitano's a little too stiff to pull off Zenigata. I'd opt for Ken Watanabe. Goemon's gotta be Tadanobu Asano, though.

Gatsu, I disagree with you on practically every single count. I'm not going to start with you an argument about "Hook" (which I like btw) but I would never consider "A.I." (the single best sci-fi movie since 2001: A Space Oddysey") and "War of the Worlds" even remotely close to being called "screw-ups". Besides, I'm certain that most of the problems you had with above mentioned movies were not with how they were directed but how they were written. I'm actually thinking more of movies like "Catch Me If You Can" and "Munich" with their flawless period detail. In my mind, in a perfect world, a Lupin movie would take place during 70s and be very much representative of that era. Give the guy at least benefit of the doubt. He earned it.

I'm not a Rattner hater but he isn't even remotely in the same league (but knowing his arrogance I wouldn't be suprised if he actually thought that he is). Besides, are you seriously going to compare "Indiana Jones" to "After the Sunset" (I've seen it)? And if you want to argue that "Indiana Jones" movies are old I would like to remind you that "Hook" if from almost the same period as "Last Crusade". Rodriguez, while talented, is also incredibly overrated. Do you really want me to start counting his screw-ups? Also, he shoots films digitally which is a minus in my book.

At the same time, I could totally see both of these directors doing a decent job on the project. They would not be my picks but are certainly not the worst picks imaginable.

Still, why don't you suggest David Lynch, Terry Gilliam and Ridley Scott while you are at it Wink? Or perhaps, you prefer Tony Scott Razz ?

Yes, I meant that Chris Evans. I don't think his age is a problem. I see Lupin as a relatively young, youthful person (especially if the first movie were to take place early in Lupin's career). He's not the best actor in the world but he could pull it off. Possibly.

Wait, Takeshi Kitano is "stiff"? Are you not familiar with his outrageous comedy shows and roles? If anything, Ken Watanabe is ten times stiffer. I mean, come on! Besides, a certain ammount of "stiffness" isn't necesarily a minus for Zenigata.

And no, I will never settle on Jim Carrey. Not that he would accept the role anyway. He's talented but Lupin III <> Ace Ventura. Sorry.

As for Mia Kirshner, to me seduction is something she's very good at (check out a movie called "Exotica"). I like her way more than Hurley. However, to each his own.

On the other hand, I could see Tadanobu Asano as Goemon. However, there are many other Japanese actors I could see in that role too. And I actually thought about "Benicio Del Toro" for Jigen too. I agree, it could work.

Funny you should call "History of Violence" and "V for Vendetta" bastardization. It seems to me again that you almost trying on purpose to be controversial in your views for the sake of being different. At the same time I must admit that while I enjoyed "History of Violence" I didn't quite flip for it like some people did. It was a good movie but it wasn't Cronenberg's best.

Lastly, the French movie you're refering to is not a remake but I think you know that yourself.

Everything I said, is just my opinion of course and as is pretty meaningless.

P.S. If you feel like replying to me about my comments be they on Spielberg, other directors on anything else I would ask that you do so through a private message. I really don't feel like starting lengthy off-topic discussion on these forums. Thanks.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
I'm picturing either Monica Belluci or even Angelina Jolie as Fujiko :p I think they can both pull it off, in both the seduction and the butt-kicking departments.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
Hey, this would be pretty good to see, but we probably won't be seeing this until what, 2009?
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it's interesting that almost every actor that anyone is naming is Caucasian, given that the source material and most of the characters in Lupin are Japanese.

I know it's a western adaptation, and most famous western actors are white, but there's really no shortage of Asian descent actors in America or Europe, they just don't really get any good roles.

Personally I'd like to see some new fresh faces for the roles. Or at least some ethnic ones. I just think it would be really weird seeing Fujiko, Jigen, Goemon, Zenigatta and Lupin portrayed by white people. I mean, the name's don't match.

Yeah Lupin is bi-racial, so why not get a bi-racial actor to play him? (like Mark Dacascos or Mark-Paul Gosselaar, aka Zack from saved by the bell)

I'd love it if they just got people that could look and act like the characters. But of course that won't happen because very few people in America know what Lupin III is and it would be a much better decision to get familiar faces for more box office appeal.

Some people may say that it's a cartoon, or that we should look beyond things like race, cos it's not important. But I think it is. I think it would be great to see some new, Asian descent actors playing these great classic characters in non stereotypical roles (well OK, Fujiko is kinda the classic sexy "dragon lady", but she at least gets to be fleshed out, and occasionally heroic instead of being just some "exotic" floozy). But if that happened, I'm sure very few mainstream movie goers would see it.

But I can dream...
red stranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
I just think it would be really weird seeing Fujiko, Jigen, Goemon, Zenigatta and Lupin portrayed by white people. I mean, the name's don't match.

Well, as you mentioned later on in your post, Lupin is bi-racial, and doesn't necessarly mean that he looks half & half. I went to highschool with a girl who's mother was black and her father was white. But the girl looked completely white and her brother looked completelly black. Another example is Bob Marley - he looks black, despite the fact that his father was white.

Jigen too, might be not Japanese. It's commonly believed that he used to be involved in the mafia in the US, so perhaps the name is just an alias. Maybe he isn't even asian. You can rarely see his eyes under the hat, so it would be hard to tell.

Fujiko changes her looks so often that it's entirely possible that she could make herself look white. She dies her hair blond sometimes, so perhaps she also uses eye lid glue?

Anyway, I wouldn't go to see a live action Lupin film regardless of what race the actors are.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Update:

Take a look at this guys:
http://www.hollywood.com/movies/detail/id/3462538

This "Untitled David Ranes Action Adventure" produced by Gerald R Molen could be a database entry for the "Lupin III" flick.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:

Anyway, I wouldn't go to see a live action Lupin film regardless of what race the actors are.

even if the movie was actually good? Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1