• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya TV Season 2 Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
geez... has it really gotten this out of control? i can't believe people are actually passing this around as real information.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr T And The Van

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I'm surprised this made the news. I saw it on GameFAQs but I don't know if it was actually used beyond there.

That topic only lasted for 10 minutes until he was banned anyway.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Extremely hillarious. And the Japanese are just teasing people, too. How did that Newtype interview with the director and Hirano go? "Yes, I'm sure people would want a second season, wouldn't they?"
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I happened to be one of those people who fell for the banning part. I should've known when I saw the URL. Other than that, wow, it's made this big of news to get the finger even pointed at ANN.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This link was also posted at http://www.anime-forums.com/index.php and I'm guessing everywhere else too. I didn't fall for the scam as I knew the news was a little too fishy but I did click that script out of curiosity of its true nature. Without further information, there was no way for me to discover the true malicious nature of the link and there is no way I could prepare for it. However, my temporary sacrifice prevented fellow members from the forum from getting banned as I,being a moderator, quarantined the thread.

How on Earth did this get out of hand in the first place? An IP address banning script without any security measures is just asking for trouble.
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Umm... What? I'm sorry, but I have no clue whats going on.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Is it that difficult to understand? Basically, there is a link that links to "an automated banning script that ANN uses for maintenance purposes." In short, your IP address got banned if you clicked that link and you cannot to access ANN from that IP address until the banlist is cleared.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i can't beleive people are actually passing this around as real information.

Well, they're using it to trick people into doing stupid things. The second installment of Haruhi is probably the most anticipated sequel in recent memory, and as such you're going to maximize your amount of suckers by using it.
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Not after I re-read it, no, but this is the first time I ever heard of the hoax, fool
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the script was something similar to the honeypots employed by spam blacklist providers - you're only supposed to end up there if you're trying to do something you shouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
YA i'd believe anything about a second season of this show because i want one so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
You have to give whoever it was credit for using the best bait possible. Too bad he had to go and breach the terms of service and get himself banned. What I wonder is how the guy knew about the maintenance script in the first place.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
Well if your going to make a link that automatically bans people that the show to make a link for......I remember seein g in the Tech section when this first came up and everyone was saying that they were banned. Got to love the internet kids....way too much time on their hands....make ya wish that they would read a book or applied their talents elsewhere.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad I never saw the link. Had I seen it, I most certainly would've fallen for it. I feel bad for the people who did get themselves accidentally banned, though. They'd have to go to such an extent to get themselves unbanned.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
They'd have to go to such an extent to get themselves unbanned.

Actually is was only for about 12 hours and Tempest unbanned anyone that was found using that script (that got them banned). So at least it wasn't like for days on end where people were just waiting to see if they were going to be unbanned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2