• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki US Release in Jeopardy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, everyone knows the people running the Sci Fi Channel are bastards, but that's why you read the fine print for these things or get whoever signs in your name to read it for you. Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, everyone knows the people running the Sci Fi Channel are bastards, but that's why you read the fine print for these things or get whoever signs in your name to read it for you.

That's not the least bit "fine print," when someone options a book for adaptation, they "own" the rights for a certain period of time. That's the wayit is, and usually its a good trade-off for the author... unless a better deal comes along later.

It's like signing the papers to sell your house for $200,000 and then having another buyer offer you $250,000.

The simple fact that Sci-Fi's option is limited to the North American market shows that LeGuin's handlers paid close attention to the fine print.

It's a pity though, I certainly hope that Sci-Fi could be convinced (ie: paid) to budge.

-t
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Gee, who would have guessed that a distributor would sit on the rights and milk their franchise for all its worth until its license has expired? Rolling Eyes

Le Guin can't have it both ways. She insults a title and then gets angry when her royalties are in danger. No wonder Hayao Miiyazaki didn't do this title. He's probably laughing at the situation right now...

Hayao: "See Goro, I told you not to do this title. Next time listen to your father."
Goro: "But dad, I really wanted to be an animator just like you."
Hayao: "Do something else. It's a big headache. Reviewers and fans won't let me experiment. Distributors are a piece of s****... "

If people are wanting younger animators to enter the field, they should have dealt with Goro alittle better imo.

When this title debuts in R1, it's prob won't make alot of money. The good side is that all the controversy will prob be forgotten and this title will start with a clean slate imo. So, I think that a delay of an R1 premiere is in its best interest.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

The simple fact that Sci-Fi's option is limited to the North American market shows that LeGuin's handlers paid close attention to the fine print.

-t

Yeah, but was that info transmitted to Studio Ghibli? The anime should have been delayed if they had this info or they could have taken more time with it imo.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
One would think this movie could only help their mini-series (create more interest)

Or they could turn it into exclusive tv rights to the movie until 2009. Yeah, CN has a deal involving the dad, but does that extend to the son's films?

Might be easier to just ride it out for 3 yrs (I assume the rights run to the end of 2009) We've waited that long for other titles. Advent Children just seemed like 3 yrs, I know. It was actually only postponed about half-dozen times.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Movie distribution needs to come before TV broadcast. R1 viewers usually won't see something in a movie theater that has been on TV first unless there is a gimmick attached to it imo. The Nightmare Before Xmas in 3D shown only on 1 day is an example imo.
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone could/would take it up in Europe then? Mind you, the job Disney has been doing with other Miyazaki releases I'd really like them to do this one too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
Tempest:
Quote:
It's like signing the papers to sell your house for $200,000 and then having another buyer offer you $250,000.

In the case of the Sci Fi Channel, it's like selling your house for $20,000. Rolling Eyes Seriously, with the success of LOTR, studios have been picking up movie rights for books such as "His Dark Materials" and "Eragon". Le Guin could have waited.

CCS:
Quote:
Might be easier to just ride it out for 3 yrs (I assume the rights run to the end of 2009)

Especially since Americans don't take as kindly to relatives of celebrities trying to make it in showbiz as the Japanese did for Gedo Senki. (See Colin Hanks, Bryce Howard, and any Baldwin not named Alec. Laughing )

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote
Quote:

That was pretty smart of someone.

hikaru004 wrote
Quote:
Gee, who would have guessed that a distributor would sit on the rights and milk their franchise for all its worth until its license has expired?

Le Guin can't have it both ways. She insults a title and then gets angry when her royalties are in danger. No wonder Hayao Miiyazaki didn't do this title. He's probably laughing at the situation right now...

Hayao: "See Goro, I told you not to do this title. Next time listen to your father."
Goro: "But dad, I really wanted to be an animator just like you."
Hayao: "Do something else. It's a big headache. Reviewers and fans won't let me experiment. Distributors are a piece of s****... "

I have to agree with you there. It does seem like Le Guin is talking out of both sides of her mouth. Saying that she didn't particularly like the animated version (partly because of the skin tones) and then be upset that Sci-Fi won't play ball or perhaps won't share in the glory (aka moolah).

And Miyazaki-san has more than likely not been the only parent to recommend that their child stay the hell away from the business...Especially when "we" the fans and "they(them)" the reviewers take such extreme enjoyment out of savaging the child in question. The only recent one that I can think of that hasn't been savaged is Sophia Coppola, but then, her father KNOWS...people. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Lydia:
Quote:
The only recent one that I can think of that hasn't been savaged is Sophia Coppola,

People were booing Marie Antoinette at Cannes.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Where in God's name is the "Reply" Button!?!?

Anyway, I'm sure they can be paid off, whats their biggest seller, Battlestar Galactica?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'll probably be in Japan by then. But at least there's hope for the US release. First news I've heard.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as Sci-Fi's version is complete total shyte,( and they know it,) they will probably hold on to it just to be mean. Le Guin might be able to take it to Optimum Asia, Ghibli's licensor here in the UK and dub it here for release, like Manga Ent. did with "GiTS Innocence". Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lydia:
Quote:
The only recent one that I can think of that hasn't been savaged is Sophia Coppola,

People were booing Marie Antoinette at Cannes.

Embarassed

Hadn't heard that one. But, on the other hand, Kirsten Dunst as the title character? Confused
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they just change the title of the movie? If they just called it Gedo Senki out here or gave it another title, people would see it anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4