• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

spoiler[in this chapter we can see Kureno and Uo-chan. They are talking through a telephone. Kureno is walking with cane.
Hatori and Mayu are talking in restaurant. Mayu cut hair. It appears that Kagura and Ritsu are together now. We also can see Saki and Kazuma and of course Yuki and (I forgot her name), Ayame and Mine, Toru and Kyo I don't know who is this girl in the last few pages. At first I think it is a daughter Toru and Kyo but after I read that can be their granddaughter.]

This is what I saw in raw

Thank you a lot. One more little question (sorry, told you my curiosity is killing me Embarassed ): spoiler[all the things happen in the future? I mean, is it after a few years? Cause you said something related to Kyo and Tohru's child or granddaughter.... ]
You have read the final chapter or this is what you could tell from the images? I mean do you know Japanese and therefore being able to read the chapter?
Anyways, thank you very much for telling me about the final chapter.[/spoiler]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

Thank you a lot. One more little question (sorry, told you my curiosity is killing me Embarassed ): spoiler[all the things happen in the future? I mean, is it after a few years? Cause you said something related to Kyo and Tohru's child or granddaughter.... ]
You have read the final chapter or this is what you could tell from the images? I mean do you know Japanese and therefore being able to read the chapter?

It is what i could tell from the images. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese.

spoiler[It looks like the first part of the chapter, could probably happen a few years later. I infer from that Akito has longer hair (but then, look at my avatar) In the end we can see old Toru and Kyo so, that's why last pages can happen in the distant future, but they are standing with their back so I couldn't see their face.I can't see how old they are.]

Maybe I rectify something
spoiler[Kureno is walking with cane not because he is old but It is probably result of that he was stabbed]

I hope you understand, english is not my first language
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Forget it. I went ahead and read the spoilers, but that gives me an idea of what to expect, a lot of things will get cleared up once I read the chapter. That doesn't sound very surprising, what this chapter looks like. We could see that that was coming, it was just how. I'll try and get 24 tomorrow at Kinokuniya.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

It is what i could tell from the images. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese.

spoiler[It looks like the first part of the chapter, could probably happen a few years later. I infer from that Akito has longer hair (but then, look at my avatar) In the end we can see old Toru and Kyo so, that's why last pages can happen in the distant future, but they are standing with their back so I couldn't see their face.I can't see how old they are.]

Maybe I rectify something
spoiler[Kureno is walking with cane not because he is old but It is probably result of that he was stabbed]

I hope you understand, english is not my first language

I understood very well, thank you. Btw, English is not my first language either so relax. It's fine. Thank you again for posting the spoilers. I was really damn curious about it.

Figetherholic, I think that in the way it is a chapter that we have expecting and wished for from what Aylinn told us. We have the closure that we wanted. Anyways, we'll get a better opinion once we read the chapter. Hopefully that will be very soon. Shocked
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Looking back at the previous posts I see a bit of an issue, and I just want to make sure that Aylinn saw that it was spoiler[Kagura and Ritsu that were together.] That would kind of have killed what the whole story build up was about before Confused I would have thought that spoiler[Ritsu and Mitchan would have been together,] now I REALLY want to make sure of this.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Well, now the you mention it, I think that you are right: spoiler[I would have thought that Ritsu would have been with Mitchan. Wait a minute, it is quite hard to picture together Kagura who is so strong and Ritsu who all the time apologies for it. Uau! It never crossed my mind that these ones will end up being together. ]Curiosity grows. Confused
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
I also saw no mention of spoiler[Hatsuharu and Rin], could they have been left out or did our source forget to mention them maybe?
Man, the US only has volume 14 out right now, spoiler[Akito being revealed as a girl] is still another three volumes away, how long does it take to release something like this out in the US?!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
Now, maybe Aylinn has forgot to mention spoiler[Rin and Hatsuharu doing whatever they are doing ]cause she couldn't have possibly given us all the details. We should have the issue for that matter. Wink Imagine that Takaya-san is spoiler[finally offering the closure that we needed and asked for, Iam especially happy hearing about Hatori and Mayu. At least I have the small fragments about their story which is great and therefore I'm happy.]Nonetheless I am afraid that we will have to read the chapter on our own before starting to discuss anything about it. Confused

Now, I don't know how things work in US, but at least you are not obliged to read the manga in any other language of the world but yours (like me for instance Wink )
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also saw no mention of spoiler[Hatsuharu and Rin], could they have been left out or did our source forget to mention them maybe?

I forgot about them, spoiler[of course they are in this chapter. They are talking with Momiji. ]

Quote:
Well, now the you mention it, I think that you are right: spoiler[I would have thought that Ritsu would have been with Mitchan. Wait a minute, it is quite hard to picture together Kagura who is so strong and Ritsu who all the time apologies for it. Uau! It never crossed my mind that these ones will end up being together.] Curiosity grows.

Well I am not sure in 100% they are copule now. spoiler[But it seems they are together. Actually at first I can't recognize who is that boy with Kagura. (he cut hair) but in flashback (from chapter 45) I identified him. ]

spoiler[You draw my attention to this picture and in fact I noticed a small draw where Ritsu hold someone's hand and this person has short hair. Maybe Kagura only help him I don't know.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
...how long does it take to release something like this out in the US?!

Freaking FOR-EV-ER!!!! Yes, I've been cheating and reading the spoilers Embarassed but since the series won't finish here for another 2 or 3 years Rolling Eyes at least I can know some of what to expect.

Of course, we've had the "Why so long between releases" discussion before and I think that the final answer is money.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

Well I am not sure in 100% they are copule now. spoiler[But it seems they are together. Actually at first I can't recognize who is that boy with Kagura. (he cut hair) but in flashback (from chapter 45) I identified him. ]

spoiler[You draw my attention to this picture and in fact I noticed a small draw where Ritsu hold someone's hand and this person has short hair. Maybe Kagura only help him I don't know.]

Hey, it's quite diffcult to say what happens especially since you had the raw material but you don't know Japanese. We will uncover the mistery once we read the newest chapter. Wink spoiler[But it would have been really interesting to see Kagura and Ritsu together only for the sake of the funny scenes. Laughing ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
If you were to have a survey to see who was the most unlikely couple in FB, it would have to be spoiler[Ritsu and Kagura]. Meanwhile, I called Kinokuniya and asked them if they had Hana to Yume 24 in stock, and they said they wouldn't get it until TWO WEEKS FROM NOW. WTF?! That's worse than Sanseido Evil or Very Mad THey said they'd have it in this week. I don't know who to trust now.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
How about both of them?! Try both places and see which one gets it for you faster. Wink Though it really takes a long time, probably because it is one of the most wanted issues of Hana to Yume. I mean, think about it: I bet there are quite a large number of people that really want that issue, which on the other hand would have to make these people try a little harder and make possible for all the fans to have it as quickly as possible.

Well, most unlikely couple would definetly be spoiler[Kagura and Ritsu.] You know who else would have been a really funny couple?! spoiler[Kyo and Uo-chan. I mean, to get them fighting would have been a pleasure (but as an in love couple) Wink ] Let's think of most unlikely couples in this manga. Twisted Evil
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I called Sanseido in Costa Mesa and they said that they would have it in next week. These people really don't have it together. 花とゆめ24号がこっちに来た時ねはもうspoiler[スキャン]ができてると思うが。

One couple that obviously didn't fit together was spoiler[Shigure and Mayu. Probably at that time though, Shigure got thrown out of the Sohma house, and Mayu was struggling with her feelings for Hatori, so Shigure saw it as an opportunity to keep from getting bored.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
ANNのみなさん、ごめんなさい!! Anime cry

Holy S***. What an ending.
This ending chapter was pretty much all the characters reminiscing and thinking about how Tohru had an impact on their lives.

1. spoiler[Tohru and Kyo are in Shigure's house cleaning up because he will not be living there anymore. She gets all teary eyed when thinking about leaving everybody, but Kyo tells her not to think of it as leaving, but as a new party that will be happening.]

2. spoiler[Yuki is at Machi's place, and tries to give her the key to his new apartment, seeing as how the college he's going to is far from the area. The reason he does this is so Machi can come at anytime and not have to worry about Yuki doing any uwaki. Machi tries to show that she's not worried, which then Yuki proceeds to try and throw the key out her window, which she frantically stops him from doing. Laughing After Yuki gets his laugh in, she tells him that she will follow him no matter what, which then we see them kiss.] Wink

3. spoiler[Ritsu is at Kagura's place telling her that Shigure will be retiring from being an author. He found this out from none other than Mitchan, who's words were: "The evil is vanquished!!" Kagura doesn't have anybody yet, but will be looking for someone. She also asks Ritsu when he and Mitchan will get married, which Ritsu then goes into his panicky state of mind.]

4. spoiler[Kisa and Hiro are walking together talking about the Nekotsuki room. Kisa then gets teary eyed thinking about Tohru, which Hiro tells her, "It's okay, cry all you want tomorrow too." This scene of Hiro is probably the coolest one we've seen of him this entire series. しかもキス寸前] Anime hyper

5. spoiler[We see Momiji, Haru and Rin talking, and Momiji reveals his true feelings about Tohru, which Haru kind of had an idea of. But Momiji is happy if Tohru is happy, because to him the world would not be a bright place if she weren't. Rin then thinks out loud that the two separate, which both Momiji and Haru respond sarcastically saying that she's jealous.]

6. spoiler[Saki has been hired as a housekeeper at Kazuma's dojo, but she cannot stay away from him, and has his aide in a nervous state of mind. Kyo didn't do much better when he saw Saki and Kazuma together, a state of shock, maybe?]

7. spoiler[Arisa and Kureno are talking, which she is saying that after Tohru and Kyo leave, that she will be making her way over to Kureno's place, which is somewhere out in the country.]

8. spoiler[Mine now calls Ayame "Aya-kun". They're making clothes for Tohru and Machi, and that's about it.] Confused

9. spoiler[Hatori and Mayu are going to take a vacation to Okinawa, and she is laughing thinking about Hatori in a swimsuit. But then she realizes how bad she would look in a swimsuit, which then we see Hatori laugh for the first and only time of the series.]

10. spoiler[Shigure has quit his job. He asks Akito if she really isn't going to see Tohru and Kyo off, in which she responds to by saying that she will go see them when she wants. We then see her with longer hair, which I think makes her truly one of the most beautiful characters of the series (it took long enough).]

11. spoiler[Yuki finally reveals how he felt about Tohru, that she was the one who taught him how to be human, that she truly was his mother. He also tells her not to forget everybody, and also that everybody will be thinking about them, and that they would be in their present state had it not been for her. And he finally calls her "Tohru".]

12. Closure. spoiler[The little girl that comes up is Kyo and Tohru's grandchild, asking where "Kyo-kun and Tohru-kun" went. Her mother tells her to call them jiisan/baasan, which she then says to just call them by their names. They are then seen holding hands and taking a walk in the end.]

To be honest, this was a good ending to one of the most beautifully written manga series ever. I don't think there can ever be another one like this, but you never can tell.
Takaya Natsuki is planning on bringing her next project out starting in after the spring of 2007. On another note, Hana to Yume is holding the 3rd Character Popularity contest. Can Yuki finally dethrone Kyo? I hope everybody had fun reading this, as for the fans in the US, you definetly will not be disappointed, I just hope that the rest of this series finds its way over as soon as possible. We need more Fruits Basketholics! Wink With that said, you have the floor, aya_honda.

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue May 22, 2007 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 170